Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,056
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Donatello, Freg, tws3, rjackson, jpsdad, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 643 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Do they do portable Rhino Lining???

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Actually I was just kidding, but you never know it may work. I did see a show were they put it to the test and it was so so. I cant remember what they were sealing. I think it was something they kept bending back and forth and the stuff finnaly cracked.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: jkrueger
Esshup's mention of the fireball inside a 40-foot tunnel still has me spooked. smile

Ehh..Explosions are no biggie laugh

Seriously though, any solvent or sealent is probably going to require a fresh air breathing system to be applied in a 48"x40' foot coffin...

J
OP Offline
J
You guys are crazy! In a fun way, of course.

In response to Robert-NJ, the culvert serves as the overflow to our pond, located in the dam. We drive over it to get to our house. So, it's pretty critical.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
the culvert serves as the overflow to our pond, located in the dam. We drive over it to get to our house. So, it's pretty critical.

Ya know this culvert with up to three pages of discussion already may just be the most famous culvert on PondBoss and we STILL don't have a picture of it! smile

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
OP Offline
J
Okay, photos. I'll give it a try.

First photo - The culvert is just to the left of the photo, running under the dam. It catches pond overflow.

Second photo - Culvert is directly below where I'm standing to take picture (on top of dam).

I will take a close-up of inside the culvert this weekend.

One of my first posts in mid-September ("It doesn't get any better than this") had these pictures, plus a couple more.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
pretty place....thanks!

R
R
Originally Posted By: Zep
pretty place....thanks!

I have to agree,definitely a nice slice of heaven you have there

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Do they do portable Rhino Lining???

Yeah, you can get portable Urethane coatings done. I know an Aquaculture system mfg in MD that uses the Rhino Lining type stuff on all their tanks and equipment.

Urethane coatings are quite common practice in the potable water storage tanks for cities. Ya ever seen them big round balls on the top of a column a couple hundred feet up? They pump the water up in them things and gravity feed down to the users below.

I had the bed in my truck lined with Rhino Liner. Except for some razor sharp stainless I was hauling one day, not hardly a scratch in it.

A while back I was thinking of getting my 1200 gallon RAS tanks lined with Urethane. (when I build them) The guy who did my truck bed said no problem, I would just have to bring them in. That's just an unnecessary added expense. A good quality Sherwin Williams Epoxy will last just as long because the tanks will be inside and not exposed to UV.

I've used some cheap epoxies in the past, I'll fork out the few extra dollars for the good stuff.

If you buy a culvert today, look at getting a poly laminated galvanized, if it is in a structural/supporting application.

The epoxy/urethane combo would probably be a reasonable solution if the price were right.

Another thing to look at is Cold Galvanizing compound. It comes in spray cans. Not sure how long it will actually last. When I worked as an Iron Worker (years ago) that was an approved method for touching up galvanized structures that had to be welded on. (I hate welding galvanized sick )

It may just buy you some time (stopping the rust, bonding with the zinc...) until you come up with a more suitable solution.

I've worked with some extremely flammable military adhesives. Flash points just above freezing, applied it at 120F (you needed to heat this up so it would even flow) Cold Honey would be a close description of the consistency, but a bit worse. Then, run it thru an easy bake oven for 90 seconds at 450F.

Potential Fireball, Yep! Glad my math skills were up to par before I took on this project laugh

BTW, you could be exposed to the vapors of this stuff for 5 minutes and not be back to earth for quite a while. 15 minutes, and you would not pass a field sobriety test. If you just came from concentrated exposure, you could blow a BAC over legal and get taken to the shop for further examination shocked Pretty nasty stuff!

I asked a guy who worked there why he puts up with the conditions. He said it was a job, and thanked the Lord he had a job, and was not in prison. (this was in one of their other plants that should be demolished)

When I closed my shop. I had a 1 gallon sample of this stuff left, that I got to mess with. Never opened it. It cost me 650.00 at the time to get rid of it, and could have incurred further charges based on lab work and how to deal with it. I am betting that the lab workers all got stoned and forgot about me laugh laugh wink

I wonder what ever happened to that other gallon of this stuff that a guy from Detroit picked up and was supposed to send a smaller sample to the parent company in Germany to see if they could even spray it. Never did get a response back! Hey, As long as I am not in possession of this stuff grin

Last edited by JKB; 10/12/12 05:50 PM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Esshup's mention of the fireball inside a 40-foot tunnel still has me spooked. smile

Ehh..Explosions are no biggie laugh

Seriously though, any solvent or sealant is probably going to require a fresh air breathing system to be applied in a 48"x40' foot coffin...

All you really need to do is change air per concentration of vapor based on deposit/evaporation/curing rates and keep it at 25% of the LEL (lower explosive limits) Need to know what actually makes up the stuff you are applying to calculate this, then you can get the required amount of air flow to break it down so it is not an issue.

It's all about eliminating high concentrations and dispersing them in a somewhat safe manner.

Fresh Air rig also required.

Last edited by JKB; 10/13/12 07:14 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welding Galvanized is fun, especially gas welding in a non-ventilated garage in the middle of winter.....

JKB, PM me your snail mail addy. I found some connectors that are rated for underwater use and have the catalogs to mail to you when I get back.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott, I probably told you this story, but I still have a spot on my lungs from welding galvanize in shipyard when I was 17 years old, prior to WW II - didn't keep me from service tho - all you had to do to pass physical was to see thunder and hear lightening - or was it the other way around.... laugh

Thanks for your early posts for us "homies"
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cold Galvanizing Solutions:

ZRC Products

This would probably be the least expensive option and it looks to be a pretty stable fix. I had to put my thinking cap on to remember what brand of product we used back then.

This also falls into the DIY category. Preparation is the key to any coating.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB, PM me your snail mail addy. I found some connectors that are rated for underwater use and have the catalogs to mail to you when I get back.

Thanks esshup,
No need to waste postage tho. I don't plan on doing any underwater electrical connections. Should the need arise, I can get anything I want from work.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Aww. I picked up the catalogs specifically for you! wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Aww. I picked up the catalogs specifically for you! wink

Got a manufacturers link? It would be interesting to read the specs. Some of the connectors I saw were only rated for several days in a few feet of water. That's why we use systems that are considered hermetically sealed.

I am always on the lookout for new/better products tho.

Are you going to have any time next week when you swing up? I know you said the schedule is tight. Monday, I'll be in GR. The rest of the week I'll be in Muskegon or Grand haven. Maybe we could swap the catalogs for a few boxes of electrical stuff. I can just tell the boss I gotta split for an hour or so and meet you at CS. If it is early morning, that would be best.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's looking like Friday. LMK

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Nice to meet you esshup! Those golden trout you picked up yesterday were really cool! Too bad the weather was on the dismal side. A few pic's would have been nice. I took one when the feeder to the pond, east of Cecil's trailer went off. Oh well!

I think he needs to adjust that feeder. You were busy loading and may have not noticed, but the fish in that pond were almost up on the bank trying to get the pellets that were right on the edge. Kinda interesting, because they would come up sideways, snatch a pellet and wiggle their way back.

BTW: Interesting connectors. These are intended for "cautiously engineered" applications wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was too busy loading the fish to notice the feeder.

I believe those 2 catalogs are different. One for damp, one for submerged?

I took a few pics when the fish were going in, let me dig up the camera and load them on here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Pics would be cool!

The connectors would work well for underwater applications. Best thing to do is contact technical support and explain your application. They can advise on the correct product to use. They recommend doing this. You can make the connection under water, but all power must be cut prior to doing so. These are not "hot" pluggable under water with AC current.

I would use them, without fear, if the need came about. Thanks for the catalogs.

Last edited by JKB; 10/21/12 09:55 AM.
L
L
Talked to my dad about this one (retired chemist and plating nut), and he says the rubberized coatings and non-metalized coatings will only serve to ACCELERATE the rust as it traps the moisture in-place along with any minerals which may be part of the problem. You would have to remove all traces of rust using acid before applying the coat.

Cold galvanization is absolutely the best bet in your case, as that will absolutely stop the rust. The only thing better is true zinc plating using zinc salts and some decent electrical current at low voltages. The zinc becomes a sacrificial anode (yes like a battery), and it provides the corrosive surface rather than the pipe. Zinc is fairly resistant to corrosion as well.

I have a can of the cold galvanization spray I have used on various projects and it really works well. I used to use the aluminum spray as a rust inhibitor, but the zinc-based products work a lot better. The spray I have is "industrial", I can get the brand name if you wish.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Talked to my dad about this one (retired chemist and plating nut), and he says the rubberized coatings and non-metalized coatings will only serve to ACCELERATE the rust as it traps the moisture in-place along with any minerals which may be part of the problem. You would have to remove all traces of rust using acid before applying the coat.

Cold galvanization is absolutely the best bet in your case, as that will absolutely stop the rust. The only thing better is true zinc plating using zinc salts and some decent electrical current at low voltages. The zinc becomes a sacrificial anode (yes like a battery), and it provides the corrosive surface rather than the pipe. Zinc is fairly resistant to corrosion as well.

I have a can of the cold galvanization spray I have used on various projects and it really works well. I used to use the aluminum spray as a rust inhibitor, but the zinc-based products work a lot better. The spray I have is "industrial", I can get the brand name if you wish.

I agree on the Cold Galv as being a proper fix.

I had to jarr a few brain cells loose to remember the galv stuff we used in the past. Sign of old age I guess.

J
OP Offline
J
Please, I would like the brand name of the cold galvanization spray. Thanks.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Please, I would like the brand name of the cold galvanization spray. Thanks.

I put a link to the good stuff earlier. You can also select your own, as you wish.

I did mention that preparation is Key!

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
jkrueger were you aware??? HighFlyer/Brian is hosting a get together of North Central/North East Texas PondBoss members on a Sat or Sun in November. The exact date will be decided soon, but will probably be Sun Nov 11, 2012.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy