Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 719 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Agreed Ken this is good stuff here...lots of experts sharing their experiences with HSB as apex predators/panfish pop regulators is new science we all benefit from learning. Just another reason this forum is such a valuable resource for us all.

My take on your potential fishery -

It's my understanding HBG reproduction occurs, but 99% offspring are Male. I would think this would limit their reproduction capabilities significantly, and population. I don't have experience with HBG but hopefully someone can chime in on that thought.

Similarly, RES spawn typically 1x annually and females lay a fraction of the eggs of a BG - think I've read something like 8,000 vs 80,000 for BG - not to mention multiple BG spawns annually. Again, might suggest that RES population regulation won't become a management issue for you.

Not sure I know of many fisheries where CC are the only predator - with exception of Lusk's catfish pond that has high density CC and BG to help provide forage in addition to his feeding program. I'm assuming his CC keep the BG population in check, but have never directly inquired. The Boss needs to weigh in on this one.

You mention your CC will reproduce...that's another issue. I don't know if adult CC and HBG will keep YOY CC in check? If not, you seem to be needing an apex predator utilizing all species as forage, which was your original question. Seems introducing LMB will only create another species' population to control, unless you go with single sex fish. I'd go with males as their max size and gape are smaller than a female. You want small fish targeted, not your 8" RES or HBG - which a dozen 4-5# females would be liable to do. I imagine males in a .25 AC pond would max out around 2-2.5# and would be a better control method for smaller panfish and CC.

HSB could also serve this purpose, and are an easier control fish as you don't have to wait until Spring to identify gender as you would likely have to do with LMB. 12 HSB in that pond can be easily managed...too much predation you can harvest a few - not enough impact on panfish and CC you can stock a few more until the balance you desire is achieved.

In terms of stocking CC or HBG at small sizes - do you use grow out cages to release at end of season at a size less liable to be subject to predation?

Just my thoughts - sounds like a cool project. Were it my pond I'd go with the HSB as the panfish/cc equalizer. They are my favorite pond fish for many reasons.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
LMB or HSB? How about a little of both? My HSB I put in my pond in April seem to be doing quite well. When I catch one that is they look good. Some of them have already grown from 8 to 10 inches and are now pushing 12 inches. The last LMB I caught looked pretty nice also. Maybe just on the skinny side. I did not have a scale to determine for sure. I do feed my HSB AM500/600 along with my BG. So they may not eat as many BG as one would think when your feeding them on the side. At the 12 inch mark I am sure they could handle my 1 to 2 inch BG which is nice cause my bigger LMB dont really mess with them unless they have to. They are to dang hard to catch and not worth the trouble for a 1.5 to 2.5 pound bass or bigger. This is also why I keep some of my larger GSF. Yes they compete for food, but I have soooooooo many small things swiming around in my pond now it's unreal. My BG and CNBG have been on beds for 6 weeks straight now. I think some get done and others come right in and take over the beds. I mean it's a constant rotation sence I starting feeding them AM500. TJ is right the cool thing about the HSB is you can control them so much better. I put 30 in my pond. 15 of them were 6 to 8 inch and 15, 8 to 10 inch. I may have gone a little high for a 1 acre pond but I figured some of them may not make it. And if I end up not seeing to many fish all around my shore I know it's time I may need to start keeping a few of them. With bass it's very hard to determine what you have. Unless you can somehow get all females or males or like some out here use a very good tagging system for them. If you have 25 bass tagged and you catch a bass that is not tagged then you get rid of it. And even then your still guessing some as to what you have and dont have with bass. I know for a fact I have 30 or less HSB in my pond. It's never going to be more. That's the nice thing about HSB. I think some LMB are good to have though for the control of the medium sized BG. Yes some 18 inch HSB may eat a few 4 to 5 inch BG but your 18 inch LMB will eat many more I bet. This will better help you regulate your BG in that size range that no one really likes to catch anyway. That's just my 2 cents on what I have learned on these 2 very valuable fish in the last few months. So I by any means am no expert but I am learning fast and taking good notes! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
What if you consider the LMB a sacrificial entity, where their only role is as a management tool? I think it can be hard sometimes, to consider a fish in this light, but then again, look at the Grass Carp... their only role in a pond is to help with plant management.

Why then, can we not look at LMB the same way? Where their only purpose in a pond is to control recruitment of the other species present, as well as their own? Certainly, GC will not reproduce whereas LMB will, but maybe preventing reproduction is not the goal here, rather preventing recruitment will serve the same purpose?

I'm certainly not advocating that this plan will work in every pond, but in a pond built with this strategy in mind, no structure or cover, basically a bowl shape, and stocked with the appropriate species, in this case HBG and CC, would the LMB control recruitment of ALL species present? Including their own?

We know that CC and HBG will readily take to feed, so that would seem to leave the LMB few options:

1) Learn to eat artificial feed.
2) Devour every living thing in the pond that will fit in their mouths, including their own offspring.
3) A combination of 1 & 2.
4) Starve to death.

I see #3 occurring in the HBG pond where I'm at. After three years I still have no noticeable recruitment of either species. Maybe that means it's working, or maybe it's getting ready to blow up in my face, I don't know. So far I'm satisfied.

I have nothing against HSB, I have some in one pond and I'm looking forward to growing them out, It promises to be a lot of fun. I just don't want to limit myself to looking at a fish in the same way, or utilizing it in the same manner time after time. Once you remove the notion of having a typical, balanced pond, it may open up other avenues and other means of accomplishing one's goals, however untraditional those may be.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
When I rebuilt my pond several years ago I wanted a similar predator such as Catmandoo -Ken describes. I wanted a predator that did not get real large, would reproduce moderately and preyed primarily on just the smaller fish such as YOY yellow perch. My homework found a place that provided that fish, the Suwannee bass at Zetts Fish Farm Drifting PA. When I was ready to order they quit handling this fish. shocked crazy

There are subspecies of bass as primarily stream dwellers that stay smaller and will survive in ponds, max size in (): Guadalupe bass (record-3.6lb 18" see below), Redeye bass (10"-11" record 3 lb 2 oz), Shoal bass (6.0lb) and Suwannee bass (16.5", 3.5lb). Problem is no one raises any of them. This would be a small niche market for someone with an extra small pond or two and wanted to make a few dollars selling some of these speciality small predators. Greg Grimes???
See link for examples of these fish:

http://www.roughfish.com/~roughfis/group-clone/102

http://anglerslifelist.com/taxon/suwannee-bass

http://www.georgiariverfishing.com/GAarticles/WakullaSuwannees/WakullaSuwannees.htm

Guadalupe Bass

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2012/02/23/the-plight-of-the-guadalupe-bass/

http://www.bio.txstate.edu/~tbonner/txfishes/micropterus%20treculii.htm

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Texas/Fish_Guadalupe_Bass.html

Redeye Bass

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=395
http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/bassblack/redeye/fishing.cfm

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/species/redeyebass.html
http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/bassblack/redeye/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/28/12 11:11 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
[quote=george1]Sorry I missed this post ….

A small ¼ acre pond can be a jewel in the rough following simple guidelines I have addressed before. I know the Eric is not a believer of “natural” ponds by his definition, but I put a twist on it … wink

The secret to controlling overpopulation of CNBG in a small pond is HSB predation and catfish in appropriate numbers, whether one BC or a few CC.

Our ¼ acre pond currently has NO aeration, occasional hand feeding, and I have NEVER have had a fish kill. We continue to catch a few trophy size CNBG and an occasional 4-5 lb HSB almost every trip. I keep thinking I have caught them all because haven’t restocked in about 3 years – BUT – I revive them in an O2 live well and just keep on catching them. They are not as fat as feed trained HSB but are the most fun fly rod fish to catch in a pond.

Bud, the only concern I would have for your small pond is that you are located in East Texas which is noted for acidic water and successful HSB programs in southern waters require high alkalinity – check your water quality - you probably know all about this stuff but may have to lime heavily but should be no problem in a small pond.

The only documented failure of HSB in small ponds in Southern waters that I am aware of was Meadowlark’s East Texas Piney Woods pond.

I would stock FHM first until they they are so thick the water turns black - then stock Overton's HSB abd pure Florida CNBG in numbers he recommends.

Good luck on your pond – small ponds are fun!
George [quote=george1]

George: Well, a summer has passed, 300+ CNBG's I stocked last March have turned into Ga-Zillions of fry and CNBG's of all sizes. I have watched my water closly all summer and it looks good. DO levels have stayed high, I limed it with 1/2t of pellets last month and my Alk. is at 125, and hardness at 190+, I have good vegitation growth and have maintained a moderate alge bloom all summer...........So last week I stocked 50 4"-5" HSB from Todd's Overton Fisheries, I have not added a BC or any CC yet, I would like to Keep the pond as is if possible, I guess we'll see how well the CNBG population is controlled by my new neighbors!........Bud

Maybe 50 more next spring?

Last edited by budster; 10/22/12 07:44 AM.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Would small mouth control the BG and F1s?

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is there anyway to sex LMB and only put females in pond? Anybody tried this?

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
smallies won't control BG at all...even less likely they'd control the more aggresseive F-1

In Missouri, I am not sure an F-1 will be much different that a northern bass.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The only way to correctly sex LMB is during the spawn. Same other answer as Rainman.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 10/21/12 08:38 PM.

B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well, a summer has passed, 300+ CNBG's I stocked last March have turned into Ga-Zillions of fry and CNBG's of all sizes. I have watched my water closly all summer and it looks good. DO levels have stayed high, I limed it with 1/2t of pellets last month and my Alk. is at 125, and hardness at 190+, I have good vegitation growth and have maintained a moderate alge bloom all summer...........So last week I stocked 50 4"-5" HSB from Todd's Overton Fisheries, I have not added a BC or any CC yet, I would like to Keep the pond as is if possible, I guess we'll see how well the CNBG population is controlled by my new neighbors! Any bets?...............Bud

Maybe 50 more next spring?

F
F
Are you feeding the CNBG at this time. If not, are you planning to in the future. I would guess that by not feeding, the HSB will eat more CNBG. Whats your thoughts and plans on this?

B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Are you feeding the CNBG at this time. If not, are you planning to in the future. I would guess that by not feeding, the HSB will eat more CNBG. Whats your thoughts and plans on this?

Well here's the plan, only with the cooperation of the HSB's of course! I have been feeding the CNBG since I stocked them in March of 012. They are definately pellet dependent, both in habit and necessity based on sheer numbers that have developed over the summer. I plan to continue feeding with the hope that the HSB's, because they are very young (4-5") and not necessarily pellet dependent yet, will develop a preference for forage over pellets, that is the reason I waited till fall to stock, and purchased the youngest stock possible, so there would be ample CNBG frye and small CNBG, for the HSB to "train" on, so to speak. In addition I have a large population of FHM for forage. I think it is logical to assume a hungry fish would prefer natural forage to pellets, so if this is true the challenge is to provide enough natural forage to keep the predators off the pellets. Are there enough predators to control the forage population? that's another challenge, determining the right number of HSB's for balance, but that's why I chose HSB's, they provide easy population control.

Well, that's the plan, how good a one is yet to be seen, but I'm having a ball trying! Now it's time to shoot holes in my plan, so let's hear from ya'll...............Budster

Last edited by budster; 10/22/12 10:56 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
All HSB from hatcheries are raised on pellets. The larger the HSB from a hatchery the more habituated they are to pellets.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
All HSB from hatcheries are raised on pellets. The larger the HSB from a hatchery the more habituated they are to pellets.

Bill: Exactly my point, I stocked with the youngest HSB possible, and have tried to offer the most desirable forage to increase the chance of these HSB's prefer forage over pellets. If it makes any difference, Todd thinks the plan has a chance with the right number of HSB's...................Budster

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: budster
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

Bill: Exactly my point, I stocked with the youngest HSB possible, and have tried to offer the most desirable forage to increase the chance of these HSB's prefer forage over pellets. If it makes any difference, Todd thinks the plan has a chance with the right number of HSB's...................Budster

Bud, I believe you are on the right track with your stocking program and especially liming your E. Texas pond. With abundant forage and smaller size HSB, my experience says they will become forage trained.
See link: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...8&site_id=1

Because of my experience of feeding my expensive 4-6 inch HSB to adult LMB, we built a ¼ acre “grow-out pond” in the spring and stocked with FH, CNBG, and RES. The following spring the water was black with FHM and CNBG when we stocked fingerling HSB - they NEVER became pellet trained - thought they were all dead until fall and this what we began to catch!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: george1
Because of my experience of feeding my expensive 4-6 inch HSB to adult LMB, we built a ¼ acre “grow-out pond” in the spring and stocked with FH, CNBG, and RES. The following spring the water was black with FHM and CNBG when we stocked fingerling HSB - they NEVER became pellet trained - thought they were all dead until fall and this what we began to catch!

George: I can only hope! At least I have hope, coming from a Pondster like yourself, with all your experience with HSB's, I feel like I have a chance! Thanks

I just finished reading through the link you provided about this subject. I got a real feel for what you have discovered through the years, sure helps a newbee like me shave off some trial and error from my "resume'". Thanks again, with help from the likes of you and Todd my fish will be winners! and so will my Dinner Table!.................Budster

B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
George1:

In reading through your Thread "Hybrid Stripers" it became evident that the most critical time of the year for HSB is the middle of summer, when water temps. can go 90+ degrees F here in E. Texas. Bruces's chart of temps. show any thing over 80F, causing high stress, and probable mortality in catch and release situations. I wonder if it is possible to cool, to a degree that would be effective, a 1/2 acre pond. I have plumbed my well to my pond, have installed a spray nozzle on the up-right, and I use it to top-off the Pond. I have generally done this at night, for about 10-12 hrs., as my Well pumps 1200g an hour, or about 12k-14k gal. during the night. I have used this proceedure about every other night to replace evaporated water, and introduce some freshly oxygenated H2O. When it rains of course I have to stop topping-off, but when the weather is at it's hottest here in Texas, we have very little rain. My question would be, if I used this practice during the heat of the day, would 10K gals. of cool water be effective in cooling down a 1/2 acre Pond. The water is being pumped from 330 ft., so it's temp., even in the summer, is very cool, around 68F to 70F.. Could this practice minimize the stress levels experienced by HSB in very warm water, or would this introduction of cool water, that amounts to approx. 1% of the total water volume, be too little to be effective? I guess the drawback is obvious, I would be limited to an amount of water equal only to the rate of evaporation as I have no reasonable means of continuous out-flow, and would that amount (approx. 6k-7k gal. day) be adequate to approach desired effect.

I will stop rambling on now and wait to hear your and others opinions of this approach, surely some one out there has tried something similiar, and I'd bet you have too................Budster

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Bud, Todd utilizes deep well water for his tilapia program and other purposes - he can help you for answers to your questions.
Biggest risk for summer heat in my experience is low water and too many fish .... wish I had a deep well .... grin
Keep us up to date with reports and pictures.
HSB rule coolgood luck!!!
George

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Budster why don't you throw 5-10 or so in next year and see if they survive through the summer, if they do you'll have a bonus bigger class and you know they'll survive through them specific conditions..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Budster why don't you throw 5-10 or so in next year and see if they survive through the summer, if they do you'll have a bonus bigger class and you know they'll survive through them specific conditions..

BGK- no need to experiment:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...8&site_id=1
smile

My experience for HSB to control CNBG over population - stock minimum 100 HSB for Bud's 1/2 acre pond - create "stocking ladder" following fall to replace morts.
Add adult female LMB 3rd year if necessary.

Never had a fish kill in un-aerated 1/4 acre pond in 8 years - grown some really nice HSB... cool

B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller

Bluegillkiller: I stocked 50 4-5"ers last week. They have a full season CNBG spawn for forage, I think they're happy, at least till next summer when "the heat is on". As I understand it, they will survive the heat, however, catch and release under that stress takes a toll. I guess I will have a Bonus Bigger Class, instead of 10 I'll have 50. Thanks for your interest....................Budster

B
budster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: george1
BGK- no need to experiment:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.phpubb=showflat&Forum=5&topic=000199&ngNumber=8&site_id=1:)

My experience for HSB to control CNBG over population - stock minimum 100 HSB for Bud's 1/2 acre pond - create "stocking ladder" following fall to replace morts.
Add adult female LMB 3rd year if necessary.

Never had a fish kill in un-aerated 1/4 acre pond in 8 years - grown some really nice HSB... cool

George1:

I guess I'm half way there, have considered adding 50 more next spring, maybe a good idea!

Budster

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cool.. I caught 2 fat HSB today there definatley slowing down in my pond.. Feed has been off since the 1st..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
One of the nations largest Hybrid Striper Farms is Silver Streak, located near El Campo, TX on the gulf coast. Summertime elevated water temps this far south are surely stressful on HSB, but they overcome this with substantial surface aeration with paddlewheels. Cooling pond water with well water is not efficient IMO, but is a nice secondary benefit to keeping your pond full in the summer. Adequate surface aeration is the most important key to HSB survival through the heat of the summer. We deal a line of Kasco surface aerators that are perfect for this.

It's ALL about the fish!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass