Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, esshup, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 749 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The amount of red meat seemed normal.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RER Offline
R
Thats the blood line, it is fishy ..you can cut it out...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
D
D
Originally Posted By: Rainman

I'm sure there are a few warmer water pockets the tilapia are "trapped" in now...looking like a hybrid (badly broken curved tail fin ray markings)..I would guess 50-52 is the lethal low.

Blues dying cooler occurs when a bass' metabolism has slowed and allows the nutrient to become flesh and more high energy lipid to live on during the winter. Your bass will lose less weight over winter than it would consuming non-blue tilapia.

I had considered that it might be better to stock non-blue tilapia, so they would slow down when the bass are more active, and be consumed at a higher rate. I would worry that the bass wouldn't be feeding heavily enough to take advantage of a huge volume of dying blue tilapia.

K
K
Deadwood, we live in Va. which means no tilapia, hsb, or crayfish of any kind. Go figure.

Is it easy to tell the males from the females?? Thinking catch a couple pairs and bring them indoors for the winter.

for proper genetics, how many pairs would you need?

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
R
RER Offline
R
Next spring if any of you northern folk want tilapia and happen to be near jacksonville beach, FL for any reason. Stop by and toss a cast net in any of the ponds at the local parks. You can get all you want for free, They are super hardy and travel very well in a cooler with a bubler for several days, just do water changes. I went collecting last night, I was actually trying to get a few CNBG but could not get away from the tilapia. Even when I tossed a botched cast and the net and didnt even open properly I came back with one or two. I got a tarpon also as a bonus...

Last edited by BobbyRice; 10/25/12 09:05 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
K
K
from what i found out about breeding tilapia, it's common to put 1 male with 3-5 females..
too many males will be aggressive with each other, not enough females, they will be harassed by the males..
at least that's what i found in my interweb searches... lol

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd see one fish swimming in the pond followed by anywhere from 3 to 10 other fish. I'm assuming that was one female followed by a school of suitors.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
Next spring if any of you northern folk want tilapia and happen to be near jacksonville beach, FL for any reason. Stop by and toss a cast net in any of the ponds at the local parks. You can get all you want for free, They are super hardy and travel very well in a cooler with a bubler for several days, just do water changes. I went collecting last night, I was actually trying to get a few CNBG but could not get away from the tilapia. Even when I tossed a botched cast and the net and didnt even open properly I came back with one or two. I got a tarpon also as a bonus...

Be careful...in Northern Florida, it is illegal to possess any species of tilapia....In southern Florida, all tilapia species EXCEPT Blue Tillapia are illegal even in closed systems...all others are still banned from any possession.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: highflyer
for proper genetics, how many pairs would you need?

Depends on the goals...for maximum reproduction...one male per 5 females.

Tilapia are notoriously difficult for most people to sex....I can't.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
I'd see one fish swimming in the pond followed by anywhere from 3 to 10 other fish. I'm assuming that was one female followed by a school of suitors.

Scott...the male builds a nest and will not leave it. He'll chase all fish away, including gravid females until she is within hours of laying her eggs. As soon as the eggs are laid, picked up and fertilized, the male will kill her if she stays close to the nest.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: keith_rowan
from what i found out about breeding tilapia, it's common to put 1 male with 3-5 females..
too many males will be aggressive with each other, not enough females, they will be harassed by the males..

Keith, actually, males will rarely kill each other, they will quickly kill a female however....Males "kiss" or mouth fight for dominance yet males will hit females just behind the gill plates causing blood clots in the gills and suffocation.

Tilapia are an extremely aggressive fish toward each other...males and females...

Last edited by Rainman; 10/27/12 10:43 AM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: deadwood

I'm sure there are a few warmer water pockets the tilapia are "trapped" in now...looking like a hybrid (badly broken curved tail fin ray markings)..I would guess 50-52 is the lethal low.

Blues dying cooler occurs when a bass' metabolism has slowed and allows the nutrient to become flesh and more high energy lipid to live on during the winter. Your bass will lose less weight over winter than it would consuming non-blue tilapia.

I had considered that it might be better to stock non-blue tilapia, so they would slow down when the bass are more active, and be consumed at a higher rate. I would worry that the bass wouldn't be feeding heavily enough to take advantage of a huge volume of dying blue tilapia.

When you get awakened at 2am when the bass are hammering blue tilapia so hard it sounds like people slapping oars on the water, your concerns of reduced feeding urges will pass...lol The bass are still gorging heavily when Blues die.

K
K
thanks rainman..
i've got a few of your blue's in my basement pool.. they had at least 2 hatches (most went were eaten by the yp i think) but a few fry made it to the sump.. i've got about 10 of them that i managed to catch (about 1/4") in a 55 gallon tank with a couple of berried crayfish

Rainman,

That is a lot of information!! Thanks for letting us know.

If I want to keep some over winter in a tank, how many should I collect? What size of tank would you recommend? What temp should I shoot for? How much should I feed them? How much light should I give them?

Any other considerations?

Thanks!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the info Rex!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
Lunker
Lunker
H

Keith, actually, males will rarely kill each other, they will quickly kill a female however....Males "kiss" or mouth fight for dominance yet males will hit females just behind the gill plates causing blood clots in the gills and suffocation.

Rex...........
Why do the males pound the females behind the gill plates? Are they trying to get the female to abort their young and then drop eggs again?

Tilapia are an extremely aggressive fish toward each other...males and females...

Last edited by hang_loose; 10/29/12 12:17 AM.
K
K
You don't have foreplay in Ohio?

R
RER Offline
R
Be careful...in Northern Florida, it is illegal to possess any species of tilapia....In southern Florida, all tilapia species EXCEPT Blue Tillapia are illegal even in closed systems...all others are still banned from any possession.

Actually you can possess them in NE Region of FL.....

FWC

Last edited by BobbyRice; 10/29/12 07:56 AM.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: kenc
You don't have foreplay in Ohio?

My wife hit me once behind the "gill plates" and my "eggs" dropped!...

Come on up to Ohio and learn about foreplay wink crazy

Last edited by hang_loose; 10/30/12 05:02 AM.
K
K
Ohio is a beautiful state but my prostate resides in a jar of formaldehyde so I will have to decline your gracious offer. If I did get hit in gill plates I would be afraid what would drop or fall off. Thanks again for your kind offer.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Rainman,

That is a lot of information!! Thanks for letting us know.

If I want to keep some over winter in a tank, how many should I collect? What size of tank would you recommend? What temp should I shoot for? How much should I feed them? How much light should I give them?

Any other considerations?

Thanks!

Brian, it depends on your goals and poundage of fish wanted to overwinter. Tilapia are successfully grown out in highly intensive aquaculture settings at densities as high as 5 pounds of fish per gallon of water.

Realistically in a home setting, 1 pound of fish per 5 gallons of water is realistic...I personally maintain and try to severely limit growth in my basement at 3 pounds per gallon (~150 inches per gallon) using fluidized sand bed filtration for ammonia control and over the counter aquarium filters for solids removal..water changes are when I see a fish die from nitrate poisoning...I never bother to test parameters anymore. Fish are kept in 65-68* room temp water and fed approx once a week to all but stop growth...fed more if they begin to cannabilize...keep in mind, I do NOT want growth, yet maintain a healthy immune system.

Brooding your fish is quite labor intensive and can be extremely frustrating with heavy, sudden fry loss...If I were you, and at the relatively low cost for Moz in Tx, you may spend more on capital cost and labor than you would calling your local supplier each spring...that call is far less risky than 3-5 months avoiding a fish kill also.

EDIT...Water changes are more frequent when the wife tells me the hatchery smell in her office is gonna get me hurt!!!

Last edited by Rainman; 11/04/12 06:44 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: hang_loose

Rex...........
Why do the males pound the females behind the gill plates? Are they trying to get the female to abort their young and then drop eggs again?

I have no idea why the females get hit...maybe because they do not compete for dominance, Females get hit there regardless of holding eggs/fry or not....tilapia have really bad attitudes!

K
K
Now I know why Virginia outlaws these kind of fish. Males kissing and bad mouthing women. We are way too conservative for this behavior. Get on I-95 head north and sales will improve quickly.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023