Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (dg84s, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 798 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
We just moved into a property with 2 ponds. The larger one is probably 1 to 1.5 acre and contains at least a bunch of sunfish and painted turtles. There are lots of algae and muck, as the pond has been neglected for about 2 years after the previous owner died. I applied some Cutrine Plus a few days ago, and I want to get an aeration system. Is it worth it to start aerating in the fall or should I wait unti spring to install a system? Is there anything else that I should consider doing now? My goal is a clean pond that will provide a good fish habitat and swimming hole. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SML8591; 10/16/12 02:14 PM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey SML,

How deep are these ponds? Or should I say how deep is the pond you want to put air in?

Your question holds a lot of "it all depends in it" Here is a question you need to ask yourself first.

1. At this point am I worried about losing fish in my pond this winter? If yes then install air in a shallow spot about 3 to 4 feet deep to keep a hole in the ice. That will help the fish with much needed D.O. If no then I would not worry about it till Spring. Unless you have done a lot of research on Air systems I would read, read, read some more about it all before you jump into anything. The right system for your pond depends on a LOT of things. For example depth of pond is one thing, shape of pond is another and how you set your air system up. There are a lot of experts on this site that will help you out so think it through good and be patient. If you wanting to put air in just to start getting the pond cleaner I don't think you will miss out on much if you want to wait till spring. Read up some more and get a good plan in place for April! That just my 2 cents.

Good Luck and show us some pics of these ponds if you can!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
SML How old is the body of water

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The large pond which will be aerated originally was a grist mill pond. It is pear-shaped, with the "stem end" of the pear being the dammed end that originally powered the mill's turbines. The pond is spring and runoff water fed. A small run used to feed the pond as well, but most of that run now disappears into a sink hole upstream since last September's flooding in the area, and water no longer reaches the dam's spillway. Some of it seeps through the dam and lays/runs slightly through the mill's tail race and into a larger creek on the property. I plan to restore more flow to the pond, raise the water level, and restore flow through the mill's tail race by using a Rife ram pump to feed water from the large creek, less than 50 yards from the pond. I have not yet determined how deep the pond is, but am planning to get out on a canoe this weekend to check it out. There is a lot of muck on the bottom, and I would be surprised if it is more than a few feet deep right now, but who knows? I am not greatly concerned with losing a few fish over the winter, but would rather not. The pond is well over 200 years old, as the original working mill was built of wood in 1792 and then replaced with the current stone mill in 1857. The stone mill was converted to a residence in the early 1970's, completely renovated during the 2000's, and we moved in a few weeks ago. According to a neighbor who has lived here all his life, the guy who owned it from the 70's until 2000 was an avid fly fisherman and kept a variety of fish in the pond, including trout. From 2000 to 2010, the owner kept the pond in good condition, but was not a fish enthusiast. The pond's surface looked good until about mid-August when it experienced an algae bloom. Since moving in in late September, other than sunfish, we have not seen or caught anything else. Before anyone suggests draining down and digging out the pond, I have no interest in doing that, nor is my ultimate goal to create the perfect trophy bass environment. I just want a healthy pond with decent fishing and swimming for family and friends. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by SML8591; 10/17/12 06:41 AM.
S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
If someone could point me to info on a good way to post a satellite image of the property, I would be happy to post an overhead view.

S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here are some pics. The last one shows where the tail race comes out under the house and the garage that was added a few years ago.

Last edited by SML8591; 10/16/12 10:46 AM.
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Beautiful property!

If you want an aerial view type the address into google then click on the "maps" tab, you should see the aerial view but you might have to click on the button that says "satellite". Hit the "PrtScn" button on your keyboard then open Microsoft paint, right click on the screen and paste the image. From there you can edit the picture and crop the part you want. Save the image and upload it to photobucket and then post the link on the site.

S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks! Let's give it a try...

S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Any experts wish to weigh-in? Aerate or not in the fall?

C
C
Vry nice place. I would say fish the pond pretty heavy to see if there are desirable fish. If so I would over the winter,with muck and dead plants good chance a fish kill could happen. We had a very mild winter here in PA last year. I noticed more then normal plant growth this year. If you can put a boat in and check your water depths that would help with answers as well.

K
K
Sir, you have a beautiful place. A mill pond is my favorite body of water.

Check out Bing maps too. Hit the birds eye view button. Also I wouln't know what it would hurt to put a diffuser in a shallow area for the fall and winter. You can always move it come next spring

S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, all. I think I'm going to aerate in a shallow area as suggested. I realize that improving a pond takes patience, but I would like to do at least something as an early step towards my goal.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Beautiful!! What is the deal with the other pond? You may be able to aerate both with a single system. To aerate through the winter or not.... getting a system installed now would ensure that you don't loose any fish over the winter. My hunch is that these ponds are pretty shallow and could be candidates for a winter fish kill. By keeping your DO levels high all winter you will get some what of a jump start on bacterial breakdown of the muck, all though the colder temperatures slow everything down. Feel free to email me your address and as soon as you know depths I can get you a recomendation.
You must be very excited to have such a cool historic property! You found the right site to get tons of great info on maximizing your pond goals!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks! The small pond is really shallow and full of muck, leaves, etc. The former owner used to have a waterfall set up on one end of the small pond, and it supposedly was very well landscaped. The flooding of Sep. 2011 did some damage to the small pond and the pump and waterfall features were removed. I would like to restore the small pond, too, but my first priority is to improve the large pond. I like the idea of aerating both ponds with one system.

S
SML8591 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So we got out on the pond in kayaks, and the depth is only around 4 feet. Tons of muck and leaves on the bottom, which was expected, but still disappointing. The good thing was that we got a lot of rain on Friday, and the bulk of the surface algae was washed over the spillway. With a pond that shallow, what type of aeration should I be looking at?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You should be looking a shallow water system, Sue probably will check in here on Monday and let you know for sure, but I think the Vertex PondLyfe system might work in your situation.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday