Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,482
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
7 members (MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, catscratch, JPierson, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 969 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
jludwig my lake is slightly salty too as it is adjacent to a tidal plain,but again reproduction is not of too much concern at this point.

Greatwhiteape......I'm from Cape May,while life and work tend keep me on the move me around the world.I really try to be home for the striper runs.While you really need to put in some time,40+lb stripers can be consistently had from the surf or if numbers are preferred there is plenty to be had in the back bays wink This past spring my friends brother landed a 64lb cow.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Robert,
Excellent, thoughtful questions you've offered. Impressive. Just an idea...I did read where you aren't really interested in feeding your stripers (I didn't know they'd eat pellets, either). Keep in mind, if you want to supply top quality products to top quality chefs you need some control over things such as texture and flavor. Some of that is contingent on water quality and some hinges on what the fish eat. In that case, seriously consider feeding the fish. Your standing crop will be much higher, you'll get more uniform growth and the flesh and taste will be much more consistent. At that point you are centered more toward farming. But, if you want sport, by all means depend on the natural food chain. You'll want to manage the food chain in order to provide adequate amounts of forage fish to supply your game fish. Either way, there are a lot of things you can do.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
OP Offline
R
Bob.............First off I have to really thank you for this site.I Honestly don't know how I didn't find it sooner,but thanks to bassresource.com having a few of your articles I found it.

I started out a little over 2 years ago with a great plan on raising hybrids for market,or so I thought.So I'm not totally against feed.I traveled to quite a few farms,sampled plenty of fish smile and met some really great folks while learning a lot in doing so.In the HSB I sampled I found the best and most consistent product to be pellet fed with some time in a holding tank while they purge themselves so to speak.

About a year into the project with my aquatic farmers license in hand came the site inspection.I thought everything was in order but one individual at the DEP felt otherwise.His opinion was a berm that separates the lake from the tidal marsh was a little too small(on paper it is above the 100 year flood line).He also informed me that the dep feels hybrids could be detrimental to native populations if they where to mix and interbreed.Again this was news to me and my supplier that this could happen.

Anyways to cut a long story short,I soon realized I need to learn how to crawl before I can walk so to speak.Hence our current project is for sport and education purposes.It'll give my father something to fish for while I spend some time on the loader making improvements around the place while I hopefully learn a thing or two in the process.

Lunker
Lunker
I like your thinking. I see no flaws in it at all.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
http://www.delmarvaaquatics.com/ You may want to give this company a call... They raise more pure striped bass than any other non government hatchery.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
http://www.delmarvaaquatics.com/ You may want to give this company a call... They raise more pure striped bass than any other non government hatchery.

Thanks for the link, I've been dealing with Skip at delmarva aquatics since the get go.While I'm new at this I'd HIGHLY recommend him to anyone in the area.He of has been a huge wealth of knowledge and great help,especially with who to talk too for permits in my case.

I'll add that if someone does call chances are you'll get his wife.Just be patient they are a small mom and pop type of operation.At certain times of the year he is a little tough to get on the phone.Just be patient,plan ahead and you'll be a happy customer.

R
OP Offline
R
http://www.stripersonline.com/t/606897/stomach-contents

a post on another thread reminded me about this one from another forum.I wasnt sure where to put it but since it is 90% stripers I added it to here.

enjoy

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I had seen the thread. Very cool! Striped bass are probably one of the least picky eaters out there...

R
OP Offline
R
yeah pretty much the LMB of the sea.I was more shocked to see the post in that thread of a lmb with baby turtles in it's stomach though.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think stripers have an even more wide ranging diet than LMB. Stripers will gladly take cut bait. LMB will rarely do that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward