Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
We just re-did our pond and I'm hoping these pictures come thru ok. It looks plain to me...Should we do any trees along it, I know we can't get too close due to root problems. What about a dock? Where do you suggest we put it and does anyone have any nice dock pictures? I will take any and all suggestions...thanks!! This was a 35 year old pond that we just had dug out...

Jennifer

Attached Images
backyard.jpg house1.jpg house2.jpg house3.jpg POND5.JPG pond6.jpg
Last edited by Jennifer5508; 08/27/12 01:57 PM. Reason: added pond6
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
You can and should plant trees the only area of real concern with roots is around the dam area. Your last 3 pictures are too small to make out much. I would say put the dock close to the house depending on the depths of the pond. If you want the dock to be stationary it is a good time to get vertical supports installed now while the pond is dry. If you are planning on a floating dock then no real rush. Floating docks work better on ponds that tend to fluctuate allot with changing seasons. Good luck to ya.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
C
C
A few trees will make fish on hot sunny days much more enjoyable. I would pick trees that are clean.... I have some silver maples that are a pain in the ... to clean up after.

J
OP Offline
J
What kinds of trees do you recommend?

Jennifer

J
OP Offline
J
I added another picture called pond5...

Jenifer

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you would just get that trackhoe guy to take a few more bites out of your back yard your existing second story deck could have been your dock lol.

Last edited by rockytopper; 08/27/12 02:19 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
All kidding aside you should select trees that are native to your area or at least trees that can live and grow in your region.

J
OP Offline
J
Are trees around a pond a good idea? Does it prevent geese/ducks from flying in? Will the leaves hurt the pond when the fall to the bottom?

Jennifer

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Some trees don't hurt as long as they aren't invasive like willows. Trees certainly won't deter ducks, gees or cormorants. While you would prefer not to have too many leaves in the pond, they will certainly get there by wind.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
OP Offline
J
We were thinking about red or white oaks? Like maybe 5 along one end and then some evergreens on the other...

Jennifer

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
FFIW - My ponds are surrounded by numerous types of deciduous trees, including oaks. Lots of leaf litter to deal with. If it were my pond and I could choose the type of trees to plant, I would go with all conifers. No leafs, lots of variety and beautiful.

J
OP Offline
J
We live in Central Illinois, which conifers would you recommend?

Lunker
Lunker
Blue Spruce and Norway Spruce would be good. But any conifer will need to be caged to protect from deer damage. Not so much eating them but bucks tearing them up in the fall. Bald Cypress is another good choice, is native, and has minimal leaf litter. I would add a couple of Autumn Blaze Maples away from the pond, grow fast, great shade, and great autumn color. Oaks grow to slow. Where about in central IL are you. I have a good source of Autumn Blaze maple in the Mount Sterling area.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I am not qualified to answer that but I do have a couple of suggestions. Search for a tree farm(s) in your area. Go there and talk with the tree farmer. They are the experts on trees especially in your area. I would also drive around your area and observe trees that you like the look of. Take pic's and bring with you.

In MN, at least in my area, tree spades with conifers are becoming cost effective(IMO). If the funds are available, you can take years out of the growing process and have a finished look at your pond quickley.

Lassig,

A 30-06 is good to keep deer from tearing things up too LOL.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: greatwhiteape
Lassig,

True, but an electric fence works 24/7. You can pick up a solar controller with solar panel and battery for under $100.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Come to think of it. This will be my 23rd season deer hunting and I ain't never seen a deer rip up a lone tree next to a pond. You usually find most rubbin' activity in the woods, just off of trails. I doubt that a buck would walk all the way out in the middle of a field to get to rubbin' a lone pine tree next to a pond.

I've been wrong before, but I can't ever remember seein' any rubbin' out in the middle of a field. It has always been in the woods. So, you probably ain't even gotta worry about it.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
J
J
Deer are real hard on starting trees. Every November when I was startin my Blue Spruce the deer would beat the crap out of them. Let a hunter thin them out.

L
L
I find that the white plastic protective wraps around young trees reduces deer rub frequency.

If a deer has detected that you paid enough money for a tree, you could plant it on your roof and they would set up a ladder climb to the roof to destroy it. There would be nothing left but a nub in the morning.

I've lost so many trees to deer over the years trying to get a small orchard started. I am finally getting someplace, but it took fences around everything until they were too large to eat in one night. There is no rule of thumb against rubs, apart from leaving a lot of low, stiff branches on the trees that the deer's antlers get hung up on. They prefer those nice, straight poles that hit 5-6 feet before the first branch. Pine trees do not have those stiff branches, they just disintegrate under the onslaught.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: greatwhiteape
Lassig,

True just not in Illinois. No rifles allow except for yote hunting.

Back in Oct '10 I planted 5 Norway spruce, 4 Blue Spruce, and 5 Autumn Blaze Maples on the north side of my newly repaired pond. Since my buddy had shot a 135 3 beam buck that morning on my farm we had to take care of the buck (lower 70s). So we didn't get the spruce caged. That night one of the norway's got totally destroyed. We caged the rest ASAP.

The cages are made with 4 T posts and use 3' tall 2x4 fencing. I hold the fencing about a foot of the ground and attach to the T posts with zip ties. The cages will be on my trees for many years before I remove them.

Last edited by lassig; 09/23/12 07:04 AM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Another strategy is to plant lots of inexpensive seedling trees, and thin them out later. Deer are unpredictable and we have even had them come into our back yard in the middle of 73 acres of prime habitat, just to rub a tree, sometimes into oblivion. I am a rabid deer hunter, so they take some trees and I take some deer. We have planted over 10,000 seedings on our place, both desiduous and evergreen. Most are still going strong. Pin oak is a good choice if you want an oak that grows fast. Sugar maples also grow pretty fast and have great fall color. Plant a variety of seedings, and you can always decide later what to keep, just stay away from the dam.

R
R
Another vote for putting in a stationary dock while the pond is dry, if it still is. A dock will serve not only as a fishing platform, but a central focal point for endless socializing. Nothing like sitting on the dock in the evening, feeding the fish with a cold brew (or wine for the ladies) in hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM