Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,577
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 577 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#307118 09/21/12 11:45 AM
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Hi guys!
We have completed the process of bringing electric power to the pond in order to install an aeration system. Here is the thread of my pond: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281556#Post281556 I had a Lake Management company get me a price for a system and they suggested the Vertex Air 1 Plus XL2. The plan is to put one diffuser at 12 feet (maximum pond depth is 15 feet) and one at 7-8 feet, we would turn off the 12 foot diffuser in the wintertime. I started looking online at the costs of these systems and I was surprised to see that the Lake Management company was more than $1,000 more expensive than what I had seen online. I have several questions:
1) Is this the correct system for my needs?
2) Is there a way to add a timer to this system? We will not be at the pond more than 4 days a week and I want to start the system off slowly to avoid a fish kill. Without a timer I have no clue how we would accomplish this. I have not seen a timer on the vertex website.
3)Is it worth it to buy the system from the Lake Management company so that we are sure the warranty is intact etc. We have certified electricians that could install it for us if we ordered it online. Would the expertise of the Lake Management company be worth the price difference? Will they prevent me from making a mistake that could cause a fish kill or will I be able to get all the info I need on this sight?
4) The temperatures are already starting to fall, should I get the system installed now or wait till spring?

Thanks for any help! This aeration stuff is intimidating!

Last edited by RockvilleMDAngler; 09/21/12 11:52 AM.

J
J
I would contact Vertex directly. There is a link under the resources tab on the Pond Boss homepage.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
I just noticed this post. No need to be intimidated by aeration it is very simple to size the proper system.

Here is the very smallest system you would want to go with if you have an 18' pond that is 3/4 of an acre:

http://www.livingwateraeration.com/pa33w.html

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 09/27/12 01:41 PM. Reason: Removing sales promotion according to forum rules.

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hi RockvilleMDAngler ~ Ideally, the local Vertex dealer would sell and install the system so you would have service near by if you need it while supporting a local company that can probably be a valuable resource to you and your pond in the future. There are a few factors as to why the price is higher ~ you will have to pay sales tax, and they are likely charging to install the system. I would mention to your local pond management company the difference in price ~ our systems should not be advertised for less than 5% below retail (but then you factor in sales tax and free shipping and it does work out to be less). Call me if you have any questions. This is always an unfortunate situation because I want our dealers who are in the field to do well, but more and more folks are shopping online.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Rockville - Be aware that having relatively expensive aeration equipment at a pond where you do not live is risky to theft. I know a local pondowner that has had his compressor stolen twice and his house is about 500 ft from the pump shelter. I don't know if homeowners insurance is an option, but if your pond gets trespassers they can also be thieves - stealing things even attached and locked in a cabinet.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Thanks for the help guys!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Daniel are your kits Made in USA? I'm in the market for aerator in the spring. I believe Sue told me theirs are made in USA. Thanks.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Everything except the compressors. They compressors are made overseas. To be honest most of the American companies that make these type of compressors and water pumps, etc... have them assembled overseas now days.

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Guys please take this to the PM (private message)portion of the forum. The open forum is not the place for competing sales activity.

RockvilleMDAngler your questions were ok and I hope you will be contacted by PM on this.

This is a first. In all the years I have been here we have not had competing sales go head to head in the open forum. Not the place for that.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I unlocked this thread long enough to offer a few thoughts. I absolutely love competition. I think it makes a business stronger to compete in the market place. It keeps everyone on their toes and constantly working to be the best we can be.

This forum is for the exchange of friendly information between people of different backgrounds and knowledge, all in the quest to help as many people as we can to be the best stewards of our land and water resources. That's our mission with this forum (and to make new friends).

Our policy is to not allow direct sales openly on the forum. PM's are for that. Competitors can go head to head privately with the buyers. Buyers can obtain the best and most useful information and then make a decision based on their best interests.

Both Sue and Daniel are Pond Boss supporters. We make sure our advertisers are quality people. I've actually said "no" to several potentional advertisers because I don't believe in their philosophies and/or their products. We take pride in who our supporters are.

My last thought about this for the moment, before the thread is locked again, is that price is only one factor. I can't tell you how many times I've consulted with people about their lakes and ponds where they've tried to save a few bucks and it cost them in the long run. People might be able to buy cheaper fish or cheaper products, but it's worth more money to know that you have an expert standing behind whatever it is that you are buying.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by fletchccc - 05/20/24 11:12 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/20/24 07:17 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
Newly Uploaded Images