Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,992
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (4CornersPuddle, gautprod, Fishingadventure, bmicek, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, nvcdl), 1,176 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame

I need to haul fish about 3 and half hours in spring. Wanted to get 25 HSB and 100 YP fingerlings. Will they need aeration in this 300 gallon tank. If so, has anybody hauled fish in one of these? Thanks.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yes those will work for hauling fish. Make sure it has no residual chemical that can leach back into the water. If you dont know its history run a pretest by putting water in and leaving some BG in it for a day or two. Make sure you can easily and quickly get fish in and out. It is helpful if you can devise a way to keep water from splashing out as you drive, turn, and stop. If you get all those items covered fish will travel well in it. Need for aeration will depend on water temp, air temp, amount of water in it, and sizes of fish - four variables to consider. There are simple economical aerators that will operate on 12 volt. One simple one is a small boat bilge pump that sprays water back into the tank.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/18/12 07:33 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
I got the tank from work and it had water solutable dog food ingredient in it. I sprayed it out with steam hose to clean it. I will be putting smallest fish available in it. I will look into the bilge pump your talking about. I can fill it to 300 gallon on a trailer. Thanks.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
In warm weather hauling keep several 20 oz capped plastic bottles with frozen water in an ice chest. If the water in the tank warms put a bottle in to cool it down.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Make sure the liquid has no way to slosh around. And, be sure to stabilize for movement. That sucker could turn your whole rig over if it starts going sideways.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Also be aware how much this will weigh with water in it. Make sure whatever is supporting it isn't overloaded.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/19/12 08:44 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
It will weigh around 1 and half ton full. I can put it on a car hauler. How do I keep it from sloshing? Thanks.

Last edited by Jwwann; 09/19/12 09:17 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The more water there is in it, the less it will shosh, but you gotta find a way to make a lid that will stay put, but large enough to allow you to net the fish out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
I was thinking leave skrew on lid on then saws-all top off when I get to my pond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jwwann
I need to haul fish about 3 and half hours in spring. Wanted to get 25 HSB and 100 YP fingerlings. Will they need aeration in this 300 gallon tank. If so, has anybody hauled fish in one of these? Thanks.

How big are the hybred striped bass? If they are also fingerlings your above tank would be overkill and probably not worth the trouble, danger, and extra fuel expense pulling a trailer.

If they are fingerlings and you chill the water down and use a good size cooler with a small 12 volt livewell bilge pump you would be fine even for 3 1/2 hours. Catmandoo has a great little tank where he made added some PVC with holes in it to aerate the water. Not sure where the post is. Ken?

Here's one I made thanks to his idea:

Another option is to get you a oxygen bag hose and air nozzle filler and rent a small pony oxygen tank at a welding supply store. Pick the fish up in oxygen bags and at the half way mark push out the oxygen and refill with fresh oxygen.

I picked up smallmouth bass this way in New York and transported them 8 hours back to Indiana with no problems.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/19/12 10:37 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
100G rubbermaid stock tank works great for me [$60] and I've hauled fish in pretty warm weather conditions [90+] with O2 and good ceramic diffusers. Imagine a simple aeration system would have sufficed but I wanted the additional insurance. Great idea on the frozen water bottles. In order to keep water from splashing over the edge you can cut a plywood lid with hinges. Cheap and easy.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Trying to load the fingerlings thru the 8" screw on lid will be hard unless you have a net small enough to fit thru the hole.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I would certainly ratchet strap it to the trailer sides.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

How big are the hybred striped bass? If they are also fingerlings your above tank would be overkill and probably not worth the trouble, danger, and extra fuel expense pulling a trailer.

If they are fingerlings and you chill the water down and use a good size cooler with a small 12 volt livewell bilge pump you would be fine even for 3 1/2 hours. Catmandoo has a great little tank where he made added some PVC with holes in it to aerate the water. Not sure where the post is. Ken?

Another option is to get you a oxygen bag hose and air nozzle filler and rent a small pony oxygen tank at a welding supply store. Pick the fish up in oxygen bags and at the half way mark push out the oxygen and refill with fresh oxygen.

I picked up smallmouth bass this way in New York and transported them 8 hours back to Indiana with no problems.

I think I will try one of these. Would be a lot easier hauling.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It sure would! Been there and done both!

Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Do you have more pics of this contraption?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Do you have more pics of this contraption?

Other than the one I posted? Which one are you talking about?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/20/12 08:43 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Bill Cody found it above. The one with the best photos is portable live tank.

IBC (intermediate bulk container) tanks are great for a lot of things, but without significant modification, I don't think they would be good for transferring fish.

I've modified and used a number of them. Cutting the top off to get the fish removed is just difficult for my stingy brain to get past. Here is one use:

Aquaponics

The last time we moved a lot of fish using the cooler, we also added an air stone and air pump designed for a 50 gallon aquarium. I powered it with a 12VDC to 120 VAC inverter.

Good luck.
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
I will build this. I have a cooler that size. Just need plans for it. Pond boss issue idea Bob. Portable fish hauler.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Also be sure to add salt uniodized at a 0.5 percent solution for hauling. Makes all the difference for healthy lively fish at the end of your haul. All the reputable haulers use salt to reduce stress.

That comes to 0.67 oz. per gallon by weight. Get your water at the supplier and mix in your preweighed salt in before adding the fish.

For the small amount of water you will be using the Morton or equivalent salt you get at the grocery store works fine.

Salt is called the "aspirin of aquaculture" in the aquaculture industry. It's almost a miracle compound!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great point Cecil. I use Morton's Kosher salt, as it has no additives.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Thanks guys!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Great point Cecil. I use Morton's Kosher salt, as it has no additives.

That works!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks guys!

Oh just one more thing. Even in a sealed cooler you're going to get sloshing around of the water and some will splash out. Either don't put it anywhere you don't want wet (backseat of back of SUV) or put plastic around it to collect the water. (I use a bunch left over greenhouse plastic I have.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/27/24 06:24 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?