Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 666 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#306334 09/12/12 08:30 AM
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Has anybody had experience with aerial rye grass seeding?

I am new to all of this, but I spoke with a local guy that does aerial seeding near my property. He claims he can seed my entire 72 acres with rye grass for the winter for about $350.

I love rye grass all winter at my home in Dallas. When all my neighbors grass is dead, mine looks really nice and green. So when I heard about this aerial seeding for the lake property it sounded like it could be a good idea. It wouldn't even have to be perfect, but if it could provide some color all winter I'd might do it.

Anybody ever tried this type of thing? Pros? Cons?
Will it work somewhat even if I don't till the soil, as long as it rains?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow. Seventy-two acres for $350! I'm assuming that is for just the plane time, and certainly does not include the seed. Even at that, I doubt you could have it done for that price with a truck or tractor - exclusive of the seed.

Having just put down annual rye and fescue, I found that the recommended broadcast rate for the rye is 20-30 lbs., per acre. I paid just over $100 for 100 lbs.

We had rain after I put it down, so the rye germinated in just a couple of days. It has been down for about two weeks and is now about 4 inches high.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not by plane but we do put out some rye. It needs to contact the dirt (not stuck in dead grass). On untilled dirt it will grow but germination rates are lower than on prepared soil. Some will grow as an over-seed to regular grass.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
thanks catmandoo.
it's really dry here.
he said we should probably wait a few more weeks.
i need to get more info from him

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: ewest
It needs to contact the dirt (not stuck in dead grass). On untilled dirt it will grow but germination rates are lower than on prepared soil. Some will grow as an over-seed to regular grass.

Thanks ewest....at my home in Dallas I just walk around with one of those hand spreaders and drop the rye seeds all over my grass in the fall and the rye really takes off by Nov/Dec....but I suppose in a pasture over tall dead grass it makes it tougher for the seed to make it to the soil.

J
J
Just be careful if there are any fields around you. I say within a few miles because once rye grass is establish is very hard to get rid and you may create a problem for some farmer down the line.

R
R
That price seems way too low.Coming from someone who flew AG planes for 12 years in the US and Australia,we used to charge just that for a hour of transit time.On the ground with a crew was 800-1100 per hour.Granted these where turbine powered Thrushes and Air Tractors that on start up burned 20$ bills with every turn of the prop before they fire up.

From a flight time cost perspective if he's local and depending on the aircraft it is possible,especially if trying to drum up some side money with his own AC............as far as the seed cost goes I have no clue I just sprayed.

Find out what he's flying and the cost of seed and let us know.

R
R
and just for clicks

the boys down under that really taught me to fly put this together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KLN5gDHzI

And this is where I learned to crash....uh I mean fly,we used to call it the air circus,but here I am in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAHSro2pZFI&feature=related

Last edited by Robert-NJ; 09/12/12 03:54 PM.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
That price seems way too low.

Ok I contacted the guy and you are correct that was not the full turn key price. If I do it I may just do the top 30-40 acres and forget about the scrub brush bottomland in the back.

Here is what the guy e-mailed today:

"The seed does need to contact the dirt & not get stuck in the grass, which is why I'd wait till you mow it. However, if the grass is really tall you may want to bale it so you don't have alot of dead matter covering the soil. The optimum condition is to lightly disc (scratch) the soil surface".

"It sounds like you don't have any volunteer grass to count on so I'd recommend at least 30# per acre. Quoting with today's ryegrass price (@ 30#/ac) and current fuel prices you may budget $26.00 per acre turn key (seed and application). If you guys elect to proceed we will confirm pricing just prior to sowing but the $26.00 will be a very close estimate. Thanks, xxxxx"

R
R
Originally Posted By: Zep
That price seems way too low.

Ok I contacted the guy and you are correct that was not the full turn key price. If I do it I may just do the top 30-40 acres and forget about the scrub brush bottomland in the back.

Here is what the guy e-mailed today:

"The seed does need to contact the dirt & not get stuck in the grass, which is why I'd wait till you mow it. However, if the grass is really tall you may want to bale it so you don't have alot of dead matter covering the soil. The optimum condition is to lightly disc (scratch) the soil surface".

"It sounds like you don't have any volunteer grass to count on so I'd recommend at least 30# per acre. Quoting with today's ryegrass price (@ 30#/ac) and current fuel prices you may budget $26.00 per acre turn key (seed and application). If you guys elect to proceed we will confirm pricing just prior to sowing but the $26.00 will be a very close estimate. Thanks, xxxxx"

It could be done at that price,but like i have found so many times on this site.....it all depends.

how far is he from you?what type of aircraft is he using are the most important in determining if he is for real or a fly by night operation.

While I don't know these things I see a red flag when there is no min acreage mentioned............but again this depends on how far he has to fly too.

If you want feel free to pm me details you'd rather not post.

J
J
Zep it can be done and it can work wonderfully.

Me pappy was a crop duster, he flew Cessna's then an Eagle.Much more economical on fuel than these big birds these fellas are flying today.

Dad used to sow rye for winter pasture, but I'm assuming it was on crop land and not overseeding.

My brother still uses airplanes for sowing wheat in standing soybeans.It has always worked magnificently if rain in good time is received. Wheat germinates much earlier, and you also have more chance of catching a rain event before the snow flies, at least around here, I see you're from Tejas.

Do not be at all afraid of using a plane to do this. If the soil conditions are favorable, and you get the required rains, you will be pleased.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
When I bought my home, the owner had planted rye in the lawn. I had to mow in the winter and it took me 3 or 4 years to kill it off.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
how far is he from you? what type of aircraft is he using are the most important in determining if he is for real or a fly by night operation.

Robert I appreciate your opinion and I want to hear the pros/cons so it's not a problem at all. It is just something I am considering and am not sold on yet. I will ask some of my neighbors what they think as well. I am in Wills Point, Texas and the guy with the plane is in Edgewood, Texas which I think is about 8-9 miles away. Not sure about the aircraft.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
When I bought my home, the owner had planted rye in the lawn. I had to mow in the winter and it took me 3 or 4 years to kill it off.

Ha Ha Dave I love my rye grass at my home in Dallas.
During the winter most lawns are dead and ugly.
Mine is nice and green.
The rye seed I buy at Lowes is like $19 for a big bag,
and it really doesnt grow very fast as far as mowing in the winter.
But I know it's not for everybody.

Look at my old house front yard with nice green rye grass in Dec.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Robert-NJ

Those videos were great. At 4:13 in the first one, did they go under wires or is that a tree that flashes by on the right?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
We used to have a crop duster that flew in WWII. He would go above the fence and under the power lines. Sometimes there would be two of them flying in the same field.

R
R
Esshup He went under and while this may be hard to believe,if there is room to do so going under lines is actually safer in most cases.With the weight of the chemicals sloshing around it really upsets the stability popping up and dropping back in.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Zep, mine made me start mowing too soon. Or, at least, sooner than I wanted to.

About 50 years ago, I worked the wheat harvest. We started in North Texas and worked our way up into Canada. Somewhere in Canada, we were watching a crop duster working. There was only one tree on the horizon. The pilot hit it and of course died. I've often wondered if he committed suicide.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Esshup He went under and while this may be hard to believe,if there is room to do so going under lines is actually safer in most cases.With the weight of the chemicals sloshing around it really upsets the stability popping up and dropping back in.

I believe it. If he's on the deck, why risk climbing?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Those videos remind me of the time I had to climb in the Mighty Herk to miss a pickup truck, the old farmer just waved as I flew over grin like he could have done anything else.....

Thanks for the reminder, it brought a smile this tired face

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail