Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus), 769 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
May sound crazy, but given a 1 acre surface area pond that is fed by run-off......does anybody know how much water level should rise with every inch of rainfall?? Can it be predicted by the amount of rainfall?? Any mathematicians wanna tackle this question??

J
J
It depends on the size of the watershed, how hard and fast the rain comes, and several other factors.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Maybe you could get an answer if it was 1" of rain falling into exactly a 1 acre pond with no run off.. I think that answer would be 1".. But the question you asked is impossible to answer.. Without knowing watershed area and a Bunch more variables..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
J
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Maybe you could get an answer if it was 1" of rain falling into exactly a 1 acre pond with no run off.. I think that answer would be 1".. But the question you asked is impossible to answer.. Without knowing watershed area and a Bunch more variables..

The first part of this is correct.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bowwowwow91
Can it be predicted by the amount of rainfall?? Any mathematicians wanna tackle this question??

My ballpark number to answer this question with a degree of reliability on your BOW/property is 438K, not including expenses! wink

It all depends kinda fits here.

General observation/gut instinct/general experience may chime in at any time!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Several factors come into play trying to answer your question. The type of soil you have has a big affect on the amount of runoff you will have. If the watershed is sandy most of the water will soak into the ground before it gets to the pond. To figure out what type of soil you have the web soil survey is a great resource.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm

The USDA handbook 590 has a section on estimating runoff. The type of ground cover you have will also have an affect on the amount of runoff.

http://www.in.nrcs.usda.gov/pdf%20files/PONDS.PDF

Chris, thanks for posting the links. Very interesting sites, and never knew this info was available.

Everybody has given the correct answer, as there's really no way to put a reliable number on it. Also, the shorter time span for 1" of rain "should" give you more runoff. 1" of rain in 1 hour should give you more runoff than that same 1" in 6 hours.

AL

W
W
An interesting topic given that just yesterday morning I was out taking those very measurements after a pretty heavy rain Friday night here in NW Ohio.

Firelshot, the short answer, like others have said, is impossible for anyone to answer, but yourself. With a good quality rain gauge and a constant benchmark location for measuring your pond level you can collect the data needed to come up with a baseline from which you will be able to forecast the impact on your pond with reasonable accuracy. I have been monitoring mine for about six months.

A little background on my pond. It is approximately 1/10th of an acre. 50% of the pond is 12' deep at optimal water level with 50% sloping up to about 4' of wading area then up again to a beach area. The bank is cut at two different angles. From the high-water line up to the natural ground but below the overflow the sides are cut to 3’-1 slope. Just below the optimal waterline down to the bottom the sides are closer to 2'-1'. Fully clay lined up to and beyond the topsoil line, no springs and no natural water tributaries. It is supported 100% by run-off only.

Here is where I have taken normal run-off physics into my own hands in that I have plumbed 100% of my 2800 sq.ft. steel roof drainage into the pond as well as two sump pumps under my house. All this leads to power filling capabilities in my small pond.

Over a 6 month period of time I have been able to come up with an average figure that shows for every 0.50" of rain that falls on my property I will see a 2-7/8”-3" rise in my pond within 12 hours of the end of the rain. As others have said there are variables that can impact this like rain intensity, dry or wet area ground conditions at the time of the rain, wind duration and so on but by getting a large enough cross section of measurements over time you can factor those variables out through averaging. Again it’s not an exact science but pretty close.

Directing so much drainage into the pond has allowed me to maintain fairly consistent water levels throughout this year’s drought while many others in my area were left looking out at mud where water once stood. The downside of course is the potential for a rapid and intense over-flow so you have to plan for that and be sure of any impact you might have "downstream" from your property. Also I don’t want to turn my pond water over too quickly. I prevent this by having my drainage pipes positioned such that if the water rises to my high-water line it covers the exhaust end of my pipes creating head pressure resistance sufficient enough to trigger by pass outlets. The drainage water will simply take the path of less resistance and re-direct it’s self into alternate pipes “up-stream” that are directed away from the pond into a grass waterway at the back and sides of my property.

Last edited by Waterbug; 09/09/12 03:31 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Chris, thanks for posting the links. Very interesting sites, and never knew this info was available.

Everybody has given the correct answer, as there's really no way to put a reliable number on it. Also, the shorter time span for 1" of rain "should" give you more runoff. 1" of rain in 1 hour should give you more runoff than that same 1" in 6 hours.

Also depends on soil conditions with the drought like it in OK, KS, TX, and NE 1" inch of rain over 6 hours would most likely be soaked up by the soil. That is only .16" a hour.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images