Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,117
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,152
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, bmo, JoshMI, Sunil, 123, esshup, Sryously, FishinRod, Angler8689, Deancutler, John Fitzgerald, Fishingadventure), 1,203 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
hi i'm new to the forum and for those interested here is my intro post with what I am working with for a bow http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=305785#Post305785
A quick read there will give you a little more insight,but basically I'm a Chef by trade with hopes of some day being able to bring farm fresh home grown fish to the table.

My fish of choice is stripers.Now I've witnessed the decline and rebound of stripers first hand and have met the guy responsible for bringing back the Delaware river strain to my home waters..............so please don't take this as me criticizing my states regulations regarding these fish.Or snubbing my nose at them.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but after having numerous conversations we came up with the idea of stocking them in my bow.While this is a grey area I can get the permits to do so and in the short term this grey area approach will teach me a bit about the fish I love.............long term it may lead to a back door loophole for my goals wink

One last thing,I had initially intended to raise hsb in cages to be table fare at my and maybe a few colleagues restaurants.............but due to tons of red tape by the dep and my lakes close proximity to a tidal region they seem to feel this would negatively affect the local striped bass population if they where to inter breed.I guess hybrid stripers can breed after all

If you have any interest in these fish you'll probably know who I'm talking about wink Now I hate to be somewhat vague but I have a chance to introduce these fish into my lake,and in my state there is a small loophole involved.So please respect this.If you are serious about and have what to do with them legally please pm me and I'll pass your info along,but be prepared to make a drive to meet and greet a old timer who has been in the business for a long time wink

With that said lets talk stripers smile

Last edited by Robert-NJ; 09/07/12 01:25 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum, Robert. We need more NJ guys on board - not represented here enough IMO, and we need to learn more about the unique challenges and opportunities of NJ pond managers. NJ happens to be a beautiful state with plenty of wilderness...for many years I was ignorant of that as all I ever saw was Newark and the crowded coast to Atlantic City. Once you get inland it's an entirely different story - I think there's still some trout streams that fish well and black bears running around?

I'm a passionate HSB guy, no experience with Stripers.

In my YOUTH, however, I met a Striper fresh from Poland in a club in Manhattan. I vaguely recall spending $900 on drinks and proposed marriage 2.5 times. Don't ask about the .5 - it's complicated.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Don't get me started TJ.... I still giggle when I read (on other fishing forums) of folks wanting to know "What's a good bait for strippers?"

Seeing as how this is a family forum, AND I don't want to have to hang my head in shame at my first PB conference, I will refrain from posting my usual answer......

Oh by the way...welcome Robert, sorry for the hijack.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
If you want pure strain stripers you will need to periodically re-stock as they will not breed in a 7 acre pond. Lake Anna in Virginia is approximately 13,000 acres and it is stocked annually with Stripers as they do not reproduce in the lake. Stripers tend to only spawn succesfully if they can travel upriver, most landlocked striper populations are not able to do this and thus have to be restocked annually.
Sourcing stripers might be tricky as most of the hatcheries are government owned and don't sell to the public but here is a place in Delaware that sells fingerlings: http://www.delmarvaaquatics.com/index.html

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
hi i'm new to the forum and for those interested here is my intro post with what I am working with for a bow http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=305785#Post305785
A quick read there will give you a little more insight,but basically I'm a Chef by trade with hopes of some day being able to bring farm fresh home grown fish to the table.

My fish of choice is stripers.Now I've witnessed the decline and rebound of stripers first hand and have met the guy responsible for bringing back the Delaware river strain to my home waters..............so please don't take this as me criticizing my states regulations regarding these fish.Or snubbing my nose at them.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but after having numerous conversations we came up with the idea of stocking them in my bow.While this is a grey area I can get the permits to do so and in the short term this grey area approach will teach me a bit about the fish I love.............long term it may lead to a back door loophole for my goals wink

One last thing,I had initially intended to raise hsb in cages to be table fare at my and maybe a few colleagues restaurants.............but due to tons of red tape by the dep and my lakes close proximity to a tidal region they seem to feel this would negatively affect the local striped bass population if they where to inter breed.I guess hybrid stripers can breed after all

If you have any interest in these fish you'll probably know who I'm talking about wink Now I hate to be somewhat vague but I have a chance to introduce these fish into my lake,and in my state there is a small loophole involved.So please respect this.If you are serious about and have what to do with them legally please pm me and I'll pass your info along,but be prepared to make a drive to meet and greet a old timer who has been in the business for a long time wink

Robert, I know quite a bit about land-locked striped bass, having fished Lake Texoma for many years, a lake well recognized for numbers if not for size.
I do know that they are very sensitive to water quality, and fish kills due to Texas hot weather conditions, which should not be a factor in your area.

For starters about striped bass culture, I highly recommend an excellent source book:
Culture and Propagation of Striped Bass and Its hybrids, edited by Reginal M. Harrell, James Howard Kearby and R. Vernon Minton.
This manual is published by American Fisheries Society, and available from :
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/914/Culture-and-Propagation-of-Striped-Bass-and-Its-Hybrids

Good luck on your program.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
OP Offline
R
teejaeh chances are there are a few jersey lurkers here,but with the dep the way it is in the state they have a habit of telling you what you can and cant do with your own land,between the pine lands regs and tidal regs for just about everywhere else besides newark.It is close to impossible to do much here..............Long story short I wouldnt blame them for not joining wink

That reminds me I have to still pay that fine I got for fishing my own property without a license.

Oh and i wont ask about the .5 because my wife is from BG,I totally understand ;)although i will add Chris Rock was never here(in Bulgaria) because if he was he would have never wrote the no s@# in the champagne room skit if he was wink

Thanks for the welcoming...............I have to say thanks to you for all you have added to the place,I have read enough of your posts (funny and informative) to feel like I know you,or at least have fished together a time or two wink

R
OP Offline
R
@rockvillemd...........I know Skip pretty well,sourcing them is not a problem wink Chances are great they won't breed and we already know this.While I don't expect you to know the NJ DEP regs there are things at play here I hope to bring to light with in my state in order to reach my goal.Another thing I failed to mention is my property includes a tidal stream/fresh water estuary........not to be rude but these factors are part of a long term goal I'd rather not discuss at this time in public any further.If you want feel free to PM or email me.

@ george1........thanks for the link I'm going to order it asap

I am mainly interested in feeding habits of inland stripers at this point.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George should be able to help with their feeding habits, he's fished for them more times than I have!

They have been stocked in some of Indiana's reservoirs. Those reserviors have Gizzard Shad, and cool high DO water refuges. They will also eat BG. We'd catch them up to about 22# by slow trolling BG up to 7"-8" in open water under a balloon, both behind the boat and using planer boards. Depending on the time of day, we'd use weights to get the BG deeper. The best time was an hour or so before first light to an hour or so after first light. We could troll without a weight then. As the light got brighter, we'd have to fish deeper.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
OP Offline
R
esshup gizzard shad where on the forefront of what I had hoped to use for forage,till i found this website.After seeing how big they really get I just can't afford to risk having the extra bio mass.The plan now is for adding more BG to the mix.

As far as DO and temps go,we did some low tech sampling when i had access to the local water authority's lab.For temps we just used a pool thermometer tied to a sekki disk and for DO we dove down and took water samples and had the lab at the MUA run tests on for do,ph etc etc.Granted these where just random samples and far from ideal but the results where promising.I don't have my notebook as I'm out of the states on business for a while but the DO in our deepest samples never dropped below 5ppm and temps never went above 65 F during the hottest summer in years.The folks I talked to seem to think they will do fine.

Again thanks to this website I now realize these tests where far less ideal then I had thought.A proper meter and regular sampling are on the agenda when I get back to the states.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Robert, with all due respect, why are you considering live forage instead of high quality fish food for your striped bass pond?
If you stock BG they will require a feeding program.

I guess "it all depends" on stocking rates and numbers harvested?
George

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George does bring up a valid question. With the automated feeders today, feeding is not a problem. Once the fish get larger (I don't know what size you want to grow them to) they can be switched to Purina AquaMax Largemouth pellets. We're talking fish over 4# here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
OP Offline
R
few reasons,at this point in time security is a big issue.While the back 40 as we call it,is close to my fathers house we have had issues with riff raff over the years.It has taken a while patrolling it with a 12 gauge to get the point across that it is private property.I'd hate for a feeder to grow legs and walk away.

The other reason is sporting,@75 years old my father has no interest in catching pellet fed fish.

Stocking rates will be low while we keep learning.We feel that if we cull a few lmb for the table things wont go too far off the balance that exists in there now.

Last edited by Robert-NJ; 09/08/12 09:12 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
For some reason I didn't even know that purebred stripers ate pellets.

Well, anyway...am I correct in assuming that you can get ahold of fathead minnows? If so, you can create a floating cage with the correct size mesh, and feed pellets to the fatheads within a feeding ring. If the cage is large enough (64 cubic feet should be plenty) and you have a little spawning substrate, you will allow hundreds of thousands of fathead fry to drift out to your awaiting striped bass. Believe it or not, fatheads will adapt to pelleted feed within a cage in about fifteen minutes.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Trust me he wouldn't have a problem catching 2lb pellet fed bluegills smile my dad got over that little tantrum after the first year now I run 3 feeders he hates it but I always see him fishing around them lol

Also myfeeders are solid mounted to poles out in the water basically impossible to steal without a boat

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 09/08/12 09:40 AM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
By the way, I'm from New Jersey, learned to talk in New Jersey, and my dad's entire family is from Jersey.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

The other reason is sporting,@75 years old my father has no interest in catching pellet fed fish.

Stocking rates will be low while we keep learning.We feel that if we cull a few lmb for the table things wont go too far off the balance that exists in there now.
Robert, if your pond has adult size LMB, any SB stockers will have to be at least 8-10 inches long or they will be expensive fish food... in order for them to be that size, they have been grown out on pellets.

Give my regards to your Dad, he'll love pellet grown sport fish - I am 87 years young and love a good fighting fish on a fly rod.. grin

Last edited by george1; 09/08/12 11:08 AM. Reason: photo

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm definitely not trying to be a smarty-pants...I'm just a little ignorant...but have we ever established that a pure striper will eat a pellet? I just don't have any memory of anybody doing that.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I don't know Bruce and I've never heard of them eating pellets.. Buri imagine they would if that's all they had..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
For some reason I didn't even know that purebred stripers ate pellets.

Robert, you might want to check your manual for answers to questions being raised;
“Culture and Propagation of Striped Bass and Its hybrids, edited by Reginal M. Harrell, James Howard Kearby and R. Vernon Minton.
This manual is published by American Fisheries Society:

Page 114 – :
Phase 1 – Pond Culture
“Supplemental Feeding”
Good info on feeding schedules – types of feed – sizes from granular to pellets .etc

You will find this manual very helpful for questions asked and to be asked…

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I guess I learn something new every day. I had no idea you could raise pure stripers on pellets.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Go to Lake Mead, Nevada close to the Hover Dam at one of the larger boat marinas and you can feed the carp and strippers slices of bread. Great fun. You can get rid of 6-8 loaves of bread in short order. I always try to do that when I am in Vegas. Some of the stripers are as large as those shown by George above. If they eat bread I'm sure they will eat pellets esp AM largemouth pellets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/08/12 04:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think it becomes a function of practicality at some point. Since Robert doesn't want pellet fed stripers, we just have to help him find alternatives. :-)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Go to Lake Mead, Nevada close to the Hover Dam at one of the larger boat marinas and you can feed the carp and strippers slices of bread. Great fun.

I gotta get more information on Bill feeding the strippers. laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

I'm glad to see another New Jersey guy here. I just wanted to welcome you aboard. I have zero knowledge of raising pure stripers in ponds. I know that I love fishing for them down at Buggs Island in VA!

I've heard that the main problem with getting stripers to spawn is that their eggs need to float for a certain number of days before they hatch. if the lake isn't big enough they just won't be able to do it. Its a good thing that Buggs Island has more shoreline miles than New Jersey.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
J
J
Originally Posted By: george1

Robert, I know quite a bit about land-locked striped bass, having fished Lake Texoma for many years, a lake well recognized for numbers if not for size.
I do know that they are very sensitive to water quality, and fish kills due to Texas hot weather conditions, which should not be a factor in your area.

For starters about striped bass culture, I highly recommend an excellent source book:
Culture and Propagation of Striped Bass and Its hybrids, edited by Reginal M. Harrell, James Howard Kearby and R. Vernon Minton.
This manual is published by American Fisheries Society, and available from :
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/914/Culture-and-Propagation-of-Striped-Bass-and-Its-Hybrids

Good luck on your program.
George

Striped bass also reproduce naturally in Lake Texoma because the lake is slightly salty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Iris vs Pickerel
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 08:48 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 07:59 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:53 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:50 PM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:48 PM
How much feed?
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!