Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,807
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
11 members (Amhano8r, BCR Pond, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Justin W, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Sunil, shores41), 1,266 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#305373 09/03/12 01:26 PM
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I just found this site and its full of great info. I am a newbie to the pond world. I have a low wetland type site on the back of my property about a 1/3 acre. it's full of cattails and has no standing water. it's been very dry in michigan. i dug down about 6 feet and the soil is very rich and full of peat. The water rose to 2 feet from the top. my goal is a natural setting for wild life and lmb and bg. i would like to go 15 feet. Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. sorry bout the long post

Attached Images
014.jpg
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Welcome to the site!

Be very careful about disturbing any classified wetland's in Michigan. The Gestapo could easily ruin your life!

If you already dug a hole in a wetland area without proper permits, you could be in deep DoDo!

I am talking on the High Side of Serious!

JKB #305377 09/03/12 03:09 PM
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I already spoke to the d.e.q. and they gave me the ok. I also had a couple of pond diggers look a the site and they seem to think it's a good site for a pond. I want to make sure i have considered everything that goes along with building a pond. I'm also nervous that everything would turn out alright.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I am not buying that one. It could take several years to even get through the permitting process on a wetland area.

Do you have the proper documents in writing, and not just a verbal over the phone? Could actually be some jail time included in the package.

The State will do wetland projects on occasion. They will however effectively own it, even if it is on your property.

It really is not a bad idea for one to refurbish wetlands. Offer up your property for the project, but the State owns it at that point while you are paying property taxes. They will also be the GM's of your BOW!

Just make sure you know what's up!

Last edited by JKB; 09/03/12 03:41 PM.
JKB #305381 09/03/12 03:53 PM
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The guy told me I did'nt need a pemit. That my property does'nt meet the def of a wetland. I don't have anything in writing but I have the guys name and number and when I spoke to him.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Just make sure!

I know of more than one instance where the lawyers were fed well.

JKB #305383 09/03/12 04:09 PM
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the tip. I've heard stories about the deq being a pain. For now I'm going to trust the guy.

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Welcome,

In Wisconsin as part of the approval, you need to get approval from the Corp of Army Engineers. If you ask, and if you are approved, they will send you a letter stating that you are exempt. DNR around here usually requests a copy before approving request. Michigan might be different but as stated earlier, double check before going too far.

Also, depending upon Michigan or your county's rules and regulations, you might need permission from Soil and Erosion or whatever it might be called. Green County had a 10 page document that needed to be filled out by person or company doing construction.

in wisconsin if you are moving dirt of more than 1 acre, more paperwork and possible inspection.

Good luck.

13 acres,
5 ponds 1 still working
FHM, Shiners, CC, SMB, WE, Yellow Perch
living the dream

Can't have everything...where would you put it?
kurt #305581 09/05/12 09:24 AM
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does anyone have any opinons on the type of soil i'll be dealing with? How do i know if it will keep water? I've had three contractors look at it and they all seem confident. One of them suggested that a couple feet is where the water table is.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
stevens:

Be forwarned that if you dig a water table pond, not sealing the whole pond basin with 18"-24" of correctly compacted clay, your pond water level could vary greatly from season to season. I would not have a un-sealed pond that was less than 18' deep for 30% of the pond basin. With the dry weather that we've seen in the past few years it would be too easy to have a 90+% fishkill due to low water levels if it were shallower.

I posted pictures a little while ago of my pond changing in 5 months.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Would I get a better idea buy digging a couple of test holes and watching them for a while? I'm in no rush on this project, I have time. It's one of the driest seasons we have ever seen I would think it would be a good time to watch.

N
Fingerling
Fingerling
N
Soil borings in various areas will give you an idea with the type of soils you are dealing with. You have to know how deep you want the pond. At least 14'deep in northern wisconsin is recommended for 30%of the pond. Aeration is a must to winter fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: stevens
Would I get a better idea buy digging a couple of test holes and watching them for a while? I'm in no rush on this project, I have time. It's one of the driest seasons we have ever seen I would think it would be a good time to watch.

You'd probably have to watch the test holes for a year to get an idea what the water level would be like. The test holes should be as deep as you plan to make the pond, and not cave in for that year period. It would help to have some sort of measuring gauge in there and not measuer by eye alone.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I would try some test holes. Watch them for a year or two.

The first test hole I dug, I had water at a foot and a half down. It was only about 4 feet deep. Next year the water was gone. I dug to 6 feet in that spot, and to 8 feet in another spot. Both been dry for a couple years. I now know what is down there now, as my dad had a new well put in. 18 feet of sand/gravel, then 175 feet of grey clay, then into gravel where the good water is.

The goofy part about MI law is that if you use a backhoe to dig test holes for a pond, you need a permit from the DEQ. I used my Kubota with a FEL laugh

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Just one man's experience:

First the legal disclaimer..I am not recommending the breaking of any laws most certainly not federal ones. (specificaly WCA: Wetlands Conservation Act)

I haven't seen your land but if cattails have been present for more than a couple of years, my guess would be its a Type I,II, III wetland. You can obtain a soil map for your land it will tell you what its been classified as. Wetlands are great for water but very difficult to build in legally.

Todays laws are very strict compared to even 10 years ago. Not sure, but land mitigation use to be a way people could change or fill in a wetland (also not sure if that was just a MN thing of federal,). Two acres of wetland had to be created for every 1 acre destroyed. Not sure if that still exists. Expensive...yes...but it was a way to do it legally.

If you decide to build and risk without permiting (many people have done this and continue to do this), wetland ponds IMHO act very differently with regards to the water conservation. A lot of the rules of a clay basin pond don't fit.

If it were me, I would find out for sure what my land was deemed. Then start the planning and permiting process.

Last edited by mnfish; 09/05/12 03:23 PM.
JKB #305619 09/05/12 03:27 PM
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
JKB -I just read your post. Holy smokes...a permit just to dig a test hole!!! Wow and I thought MN was strict.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Having grown up in Northern Wisconsin/Northern Minnesota, I'm sure glad I somehow accidentally landed in West Virginia.

Fishing and hunting is great. The weather has four wonderful seasons. The people are like those from old movies. Life here is much like it was in the Wisconsin and Minnesota areas I grew up in, many decades ago.

Actually, now that I think about it -- things here are pretty awful! Don't even think about moving here. You could end up dealing with me if you want to build or stock a pond. Our roads either go up or down, but they are never flat. People speak with accents. The skunks smell. Sometimes we get three feet of snow in one storm, so we have to no choice but to have parties with neighbors. Sometimes it gets so hot, the thermometer hits 90!

Worst of all, a neighbor could dig a hole in the ground with his bulldozer, and call it a pond if it filled up with water. You would have no one to complain to.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: mnfish
JKB -I just read your post. Holy smokes...a permit just to dig a test hole!!! Wow and I thought MN was strict.

Well, we are unique, and have the Gestapo up here.

When I sold my shop (property) which was situated on 1.1 acres out in the boonies. I had contracted for and completed a Phase III environmental assessment, which cleared my butt on any environmental or ground water contamination. I knew there was none from me, but actually having the records, the previous owner only did a Phase I (he lied). Best chunk of cash I ever spent. My partner coughed up the other 50%. (it was expensive, but don't want to throw scary numbers up eek )

Glad those day's have long passed by crazy grin

S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm surprised at all the talk about permits. I acually thought it was a non-issue. I called the township they said they did'nt have a policy. So I called the county the referred me to the DEQ. I explained to the DEQ what I wanted to do and that I had A low land cattail area. He looked it up on his computer and looked for near by rivers and lakes and the size of my low area. Which is less than an acre. Then he stated that it would'nt be a problem I don't need a permit. I have nothing in writing. I have his name and number and the date I spoke to him. I almost hate to call him back after everything I've heard here. I guess I should ask for something in writing.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Not trying to scare you or anything like that. Just emphasizing caution!

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I second exactly what JKB typed.

Don't be discouraged. You are already ahead of the game knowing what to look for or who to talk to. JKB is from MI that alone could be a big help for you. More than likely someone here has done what your thinking about doing only you get to learn their lessons for FREE!

When your planning your project, don't forget to budget a contribution to this one of a kind fish forum! wink

Good luck.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Cat- Now that is darn funny! I wonder why I stay in this frozen tundra of a state.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Here is a link to the MI DEQ Wetlands Map Viewer.

MI DEQ Wetlands

You'll have to play around with it a bit, but it should give you a good indication if your pond location is in a wetland area or is part of the national wetland inventory. Most ponds show up on this inventory. You can also measure distance and area.

They do mention that it is only a guide!

Hope this help's clear things up a bit.

JKB #305685 09/06/12 08:57 AM
S
stevens Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks. Thats a pretty good link. Nothing is showing up on the map. That's probably what the guy looked at. although, they do say it's just a guide. Can anyone give me the scoop on some test holes? How big? I guess I want the depth to be the pond depth. What to watch for?

N
Fingerling
Fingerling
N
Is there any clay in any of the soil borings? How deep and how much?
What quality clay. Enuf to seal the pond or will u need additional hauled in. We had to have ours hauled in, luckily it was close and had enuf to seal the 100 X 200' excavated area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows