Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Anyone have any links, books or suggestions on different ways to set up a clarifier barrel?
I have the book Small Scale Aquaculture, but don't think that I can set mine up like they do. The main problem is that since I am using a stock tank with only about 18 inches of water in it, which is sitting on the ground, the water level in the commonly used 55 gallon barrel would be too low to do much good.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you've got enough floor space, use 2 turned on their side, cut in half. Run the water into one, then to the next one and then back out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That sounds just crazy enough to work!
How do I plumb it though? Do I still siphon in and pump out or can I pump in and gravity flow out? How are the two tanks connected, at the bottom through the bung holes? Do I still use the netting?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
Anyone have any links, books or suggestions on different ways to set up a clarifier barrel?
I have the book Small Scale Aquaculture, but don't think that I can set mine up like they do. The main problem is that since I am using a stock tank with only about 18 inches of water in it, which is sitting on the ground, the water level in the commonly used 55 gallon barrel would be too low to do much good.

Raise your stock tank with concrete blocks and your problem is solved. My tank depths are similar to yours.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
After my last post I think that I figured out the answers to my own questions.
I would guess that the bung holes should be kept plugged and used as clean outs. The two tanks should be connected with a pipe close to the top so that water transfers from one to the other high above the sediments. Netting should be used to reduce turbulence from water movement. I think that I would want to pump in and gravity flow it out. If I tried to siphon in and the electricity went out it would drain the tank and overflow the filter.
Am I getting warmer?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Generally, one would not want to run raw effluent thru a pump in a situation like this. The pump would macerate (break it down) quite a bit into finer particles, which are harder to remove. TSS and TDS would increase quite dramatically, and your filter, unless it was absolute rated, would not help much. Plus, the pump would require more frequent cleaning.

What happened to your previous sketch?

It would be easier to raise the tank as Cecil mentioned to even things out with a barrel.

If you want to do a center drain, as in the modified sketch. A simple 2" PVC shower drain will work quite well, for most purposes such as this. You can even modify them a bit so they suck stuff off the bottom -vs- just a down flow. That's patented tho! laugh I may just grant the "right to use" said patent wink

Last edited by JKB; 09/01/12 09:02 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would guess that the bung holes should be kept plugged and used as clean outs. The two tanks should be connected with a pipe close to the top so that water transfers from one to the other high above the sediments. Netting should be used to reduce turbulence from water movement. I think that I would want to pump in and gravity flow it out. If I tried to siphon in and the electricity went out it would drain the tank and overflow the filter.
Am I getting warmer?

You saved me a lot of typing! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Am I getting warmer?

Are you attempting to do the same as the book small scale aquaculture or something different? If the same I would cut out the top of barrel bung holes and all.

If your pump is set on top of your filter material there will be minimal effluent as it will be trapped in the filter material. If your power goes out it simply stops sending water back to the biofilter.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/01/12 09:05 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Draw us a picture of your thoughts.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

I'll do it on Sunday. My wife has the scanner. I need to draw up another footprint drawing anyway. I am setting up my second high school RAS. This one will be a high school next door.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cool Cecil.

I was not directing the draw it up to you.

Talk to esshup. I sent him an SD card a while back with some "stuff" on it.

BTW: I got my new electric 3 phase motors in for my pumps. Still waiting on another.

They are not super fancy or extremely, highly efficient!

Main thing for now is not to fry them with the drive, and that should be OK, but I need to program in upper and lower thresholds.

These motors, even though not the really fancy ones, should prove to be, to save about 60% in electric costs.

Last edited by JKB; 09/01/12 10:02 PM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
JKB,

I'll do it on Sunday. My wife has the scanner. I need to draw up another footprint drawing anyway. I am setting up my second high school RAS. This one will be a high school next door.

What!!! No Cartoons??? It's Monday morning now! wink laugh

I wasted my weekend reading manuals and playing with some new software for a project. I gotta get a life! crazy

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Here's a Monday morning cartoon.

Water is pumped from bottom of fish tank into a 3 or 4 inch PVC secured to inside of barrel which helps to slow it down. Sediments collects at bottom and in netting while clean water rises to the top and flows via gravity to the bio filter and then back to tank.
Barrel is sitting on blocks to allow sediment to be drained out of bottom.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In that cartoon, I'd either have enough reserve capacity in the fish tank to hold the water from the other tanks in case of a power outage (water would siphon back into the tank unitl the water levels in all tanks were the same) or put a one way valve in the line between the pump and the clarifier tank.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bullhead,

You're reinventing the wheel (making it more complicated than it has to be) but in your case you're creating a problem where a problem doesn't need to exist. Why add valves etc. when you don't need them in the first place if you keep it simple?

There's a reason the set up is the way it is in the book Small Scale Aquaculture. It's a tried and true system and a KISS system.

Sorry I'm not trying to be a know it all. I've been there done that and tried different things and made all the mistakes. Additionally once you start adding too many gadgets to a small scale system it becomes an expensive hobby.

You are obviously free to do what you want and I'm just trying to help...

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You'll have to clean your pump all the time.

What kind of pump do you have?

Last edited by JKB; 09/03/12 11:20 PM.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
The only valve I'm using is to drain sediment from the clarifier.

The reason I can't build it like in the book is because for several reasons I can't raise the tank.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Bullhead,

You're reinventing the wheel (making it more complicated than it has to be) but in your case you're creating a problem where a problem doesn't need to exist. Why add valves etc. when you don't need them in the first place if you keep it simple?

There's a reason the set up is the way it is in the book Small Scale Aquaculture. It's a tried and true system and a KISS system.

Sorry I'm not trying to be a know it all. I've been there done that and tried different things and made all the mistakes. Additionally once you start adding too many gadgets to a small scale system it becomes an expensive hobby.

You are obviously free to do what you want and I'm just trying to help...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Why not?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails