Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate), 896 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
You got it they make a nylon adapter for that purpose.

Bob

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Bob - You seem pretty happy with the tree ring soaker hose. Did some quick browsing and I might have missed it but did not see a reference to the size or depth of your pond. Can't help but wonder if its effectiveness is dependent on the size of the body of water and depth that is being aerated.

When you are right, no one remembers; when you are wrong, no one forgets.
B
B
My pond is small only 1/3 acre or so you can click on my homepage to see it. All I can go by is the amount of bubbles that I can see and the soaker hose puts out a good stream. The only drawback is that it does clog with algae and has to be cleaned.

Bob

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks again for all the help. Now I have another question....the pump was delivered last week, got it installed last Friday and have had it running 24/7 since. Noticed it sure runs hot....in fact, too hot to handle. Is that how it is designed or does it require a cooling fan....did not see any comments to that effect from any of the other posts.

I have some pictures, but since I do not have a web site to post them to and since this BB does not support image attachments, will just have to describe the set-up. The pump is in a shelter I constructed of lumber scraps. It sets on a 1X6 with at least 1-2" of space on either side of it which is completely open underneath. The shelter itself has about 4" of space above the pump with venting of at least 1" running all along the top edge on both sides. Seems like that should be adequate venting, but noticed that when I kept the lid open, it did not make any apparent difference in operating temperature.

As for the operation, it is producing a steady stream of bubbles in 7-8 feet of water through 2 12" airstones that I had left over. Figure those should get me through what is left of the summer until I can decide on a more permanent solution.

Again, any comments regarding how hot the GAST pump runs would be appreciated.

Thanks.

B
B
Hi Dick sounds like you have too much back pressure in you system. I tried the 12 inch airstones and found that my pump ran real hot. You might try disconnecting your supply line and let the air free flow and see how warm the pump runs with nothing connected.

Bob

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Bob - Good idea....thanks, will give that a try.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
The pressure side of most Gast rotary vanes is in the 180 degree F range, This is the reason that cooling fans from 105-290 CFM (depending on cabinet size) is needed.Diffuser size, length and size of hose also play into the back pressure reading. When all components not not matched shortened motor life. Ted

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
OK, now I find out about the need for a cooling fan. Don't recall any mention of that before. Anyone else out there using/needing a cooling fan for the GAST pump?

Tried Bob's idea of unplugging the air line and just letting the pump run without any back pressure. I turned the pump off, let it set for about an hour so that it was completely cooled down....then plugged the power cord back in without being attached to the air line and it was still too hot to touch after running for about 30 minutes.

Ted, have to ask about the commercial systems you represent. Do they also require a cooling fan or are they built to handle the heat?

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
i'm running gast 1/4 h.p. under a fake rock with 2 vents in the rock. when i first fired it up , it was real hot for awhile , i figured just brake in. now after hour or so of running its very warm to the touch , but not hot. its running on 220 though.

i only wanted to have some fun
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Dick, we always advise a cooling fan for maxium motor/pump life. Its no different than a car engine that needs cooling in the winter or summer as the air temp does little to cool the engine . Pulling volumes of air through a confined space will give you maxiumm life out of your pump.Think of it as a fan that cools the radiator on your vehicle. It will still feel hot to the touch but will give you many more years of service. Consider this if your pump produces 5 CFM (give or take) a small cooling fan is 105 CFM and we have ramped up the cooling fans on the new Brookwood piston pumps to 290 CFM. Excessive heat is the main culprit on any type of motor. I realize your trying to be as cost efficient as possible and you can buy many $40-$100 pumps for what a cabinet with a cooling fan costs.I list cabinets with cooling fans on my site.Ted

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My small diaphram was getting hot too so I put in a cheap fan blowing air out of the cover. The fan burnedup after a while. Since then I built a large cabinet with large air vents. If I put in a fan with such open air flow (with such a large cabinet, its not much different than no cover at all when you consider the shade) do the fans need to blow out or at the pump?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Brian, the coolong fan should pull air across the pump via louvered vents (rain proof) on the opposite side of the fan and discharge out the bottom so no rain can get in near the fan either when the system is not running. Ted

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks again for all the discussion and help provided on this forum. Found the operations manual for the GAST pump http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/70-205G335PL.pdf on one of the other threads. Noticed that it recommends an operational environment not to exceed 104, but no mention of a cooling fan. Anyway, figure I will not run it during sunny, hot days.....but will keep it going at night and during cloudy, cool days. As I understand it, those are the times that oxygen is needed most anyway.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Sorry I haven't been a part of this thread since it began, but was away out of country for a while. I also have that model of pump and run it 2 to 4 hours at a time with about 6 hours in between running to cool down. I have never even had the pump warm to the touch. It pumps nicely through the aerator that I have on it and it does not seem to have a problem. I also have the manual and it does not mention a fan and it won't because it can be used for many applications not just what we are using it for.

I have used these and other similar pumps in my industrial applications and don't seem to get the high temperatures that you are seeing. Either the system/stones are not matches and the pump is drawing more current to pump the same amount of air or you have a pump that is not in good shape. Either way I would check into seeing the root cause as opposed to slapping a fan on the system without knowing why it is overheating.

I hope all goes well and runs quiet and cool !!

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
dick , you never mentioned how far the pump is from the power source , drawing too many amps on the wrong size wire will over heat the motor. very dangerous situation.

i only wanted to have some fun
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Eric - Thanks for the feedback. Got the manual online from your earlier post on the thread "Economy system any good?". Wish I had had access to it before all this started. I even tried running the system without being hooked up to the air hose/air stones and it seemed to make little or no difference in the operating temperature.

Regarding Ken's question, I have power to the pond's edge with the pump mounted on a bridge support that the power outlet is located on. Total power cord length from the pump to the outlet can't be more than 12-18" although I have not measured it exactly. I am certainly no electrician, but I can't imagine that causing a problem.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

B
B
I have that same pump also. Mine has ran hot from the moment I plugged it in, and it stills runs hot! I run mine about 12 hrs a day, and have since I've had it. Actually, it ran 24/7 the first couple of weeks. It's been running almost 2 months now, alot longer than I expected for $40! I ran a 50' 5/8" garden hose from the pump to the same diffuser as Eric mentioned, and have had no problems as of yet.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dick, I think Ken was referring to the wire running from the meter to the outlet. The outlet may have not been put in to run large currents.

Lunker
Lunker
With 300' of tubing and at 10', I estimate the 10psi would fall to about 5psi. What does that do to the open 1.5cfm rating and pond turnover?
This little GAST #1532 rotary vane sounds as if it might perfectly fill my niche (if my future oval shaped pond comes in at less than 1/2 acre). At a price that make's it practically a disposable unit and a miserly .55 amp draw, it's certainly attractive.

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.
N
N
Can anyone link to the mentioned post?

Welcome to PBF!

If you are talking about the "Will This Pump Work" thread, here ya go..

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30310

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images