Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#302002 08/05/12 01:45 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I have a creek running thru our property and thinking it might be a possible place to get some forage fish. I'm pretty sure this is a chub of some sort. Is it a creek chub or could it be a hornyhead chub because of its color? The one on the bottom is definately a different color, but it sure looks the same otherwise. Should I move some of these to the pond?
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t507/JimStadtlander/DSCF0036.jpg

This one looks like GSF or a HBG? I'm NOT going to stock these.
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t507/JimStadtlander/DSCF0038.jpg

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm fairly certain the top photo is of creek chubs. I agree that the bottom photo is a GSF or HBG. Most likely GSF.

We have a public stream fairly close that is about 99% populated with those two types of fish. I freeze the GSF for catfish bait. I try to keep the creek chubs alive as long as I can in an aquarium, and use them for LMB and CC bait. As they die, I freeze them in baggies to use as CC bait.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I agree with Catman creek chubs and GSF. Different color of the chubs is just a natural variation. Hornyhead chubs will have a tiny barbel at the corner of the mouth whereas the creek chub the barbel is concealed in the groove of the mandible. Horny head nor creek chubs will spawn in your pond. Their mouth is large and they will eat small fish and big insects when large. Bass will eat them pretty readily in you pond. When they are gone they are gone no reproduction. They would make good bass & CC bait. You can tame your bass by feeding them the chubs. If you do it on a regular basis bass will learn to follow you around the pond looking for you to toss in a chub.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/05/12 04:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I'm fairly certain the top photo is of creek chubs. I agree that the bottom photo is a GSF or HBG. Most likely GSF.

We have a public stream fairly close that is about 99% populated with those two types of fish. I freeze the GSF for catfish bait. I try to keep the creek chubs alive as long as I can in an aquarium, and use them for LMB and CC bait. As they die, I freeze them in baggies to use as CC bait.

Creek Chub's, if large enough, are fantastic as smoked table fare!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Creek Chub's, if large enough, are fantastic as smoked table fare!

Hold up. Are you serious? I trap them all the time and never once thought to eat one.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Better than smoked suckers! Very Good Eat's!

We use to catch them all the time as kid's, and bring them to Carl, our neighbor, and he would smoke them up! Carl, He was Top's! You could not meet a finer person, and had a true heart of gold!

I haven't been to a local meat market lately, but smoked Creek Chub's were more popular than smoked RBT produced by a local fish farm.

Simply Fantastic!!!

Give it a try! I ain't dead yet!

F
OP Offline
F
"Their mouth is large and they will eat small fish and big insects when large."
.....Meaning this in a detrimental way? If they could reproduce, then it would become bad?

"Horny head nor creek chubs will spawn in your pond. When they are gone they are gone no reproduction."
.....I have a constant surface spring going into the pond (50GPM). I created a sediment pool before it goes into pond. There is a dam that separates the two with a pipe. When the pond is at full pool, fish could swim up-spring. They could always swim down-spring as long as they fit thru pipe. Does this change my situation any with them reproducing?

grin Deepfried creek chubs........ goes right with my fried butterfly wings..... a new style of fish n chips

Last edited by fish n chips; 08/05/12 06:54 PM.
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
JKB, how were they prepared?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You just prep and smoke them like any other fish.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Bigger creek chubs are great eating. As kids we used to cook them over an open fire on our camping expeditions. They're just bony. Fallfish are even better because they get much bigger.

F
OP Offline
F
I'm confirming what Bill said about creek chubs eating small fish ( I know, Bill doesn't need confirming, but we like photos right?).

I threw my minnow trap in and when I retrieved it there was this chub with something in it's mouth. By the time I got my camera it was gone. So I wanted to find out just what it was and how big! I was going to start throwing a bunch of these in my pond, but after this I think I better hold off since I don't have any forage fish in yet. I don't want them turning into my top predators! [img:left][/img] [img:left][/img] [img:left][/img]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
F-N-C - Neat pictures and impressive. Size of the prey even suprised me. Is that a GSF it ate??

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/15/12 08:33 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Awesome photo and documentation... VERY impressive how large a fish that creek chub swallowed. Almost makes me wonder if it was dead or badly injured before the creek chub ate it.

I too am curious as to what species of fish it is that was eaten as well. Was this chub caught out of a creek? I am thinking it may be a small rock bass, but after having been digested for a bit, it's hard to say...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Neat pics ! I have found that other than the planktovors (shads etc)most other fish species will eat other fish. It is interesting to go to Fishbase , look up a species and then check out its food items.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
CJ, I'll bet you are right on the i.d.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
OP Offline
F
All I have trapped out of there so far has been Creek Chubs and GSF. So I just assumed it was a GSF. I will go and see if I can take a better look. I would be shocked if it was a rock bass. Am I crazy to think that stocking these ahead of any other types of forage fish is a bad idea?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It depends on the rest of the plan and goals.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you mean stocking creek chubs ahead of any other forage fish, I think it probably isn't the best idea. What are you trying to gain by adding creek chubs to the pond?

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
If you mean stocking creek chubs ahead of any other forage fish, I think it probably isn't the best idea. What are you trying to gain by adding creek chubs to the pond?

I was just thinking to get them going as forage base. Bill said that they wouldn't reproduce in a pond, but I thought I'd try because of the spring I have and they may reproduce there. Before I re-did the pond, I think they may have been present. Can't say for sure, I've learned alot since then. I'm going to hold off in tranferring any, if I ever do.

F
OP Offline
F
The "victim" was in pretty bad shape by the time I looked at it again. I am going to defer to the experts on ID, but my guess would be Green sunfish. For the records, Chub was 5.75" long and food was 2.25" Tail was on it, but I tore it off messing around with it.
[img:left][/img] [img:left][/img]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, that is a GSF no doubt about it. I have serious reservations that a creek chub that size could take on a healthy GSF that size. Anything is possible, but I really feel that GSF was already dead or in bad shape to allow a creek chub to eat it.

F
OP Offline
F
I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they both were in the trap and that makes the GSF easy prey. Are you thinking that in normal circumstances a GSF would be to quick for a creek chub?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think FNC is correct. When a predator is in a trap with other smaller fishes the smaller fishes are much easier to catch by chasing the prey into a corner. Ive seen that feature a lot in trapping fish.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Most likely the case, the fact they were in the trap completely slipped my mind and is the most likely scenario. I seriously doubt in a open situation a creek chub could catch a GSF that size. Creek chubs and fall fish do not have any of the teeth like LMB have. Although LMB don't have sharp teeth, they have those rows of teeth that feels like sandpaper. Stick your finger down a creek chub's mouth, it's smooth. Makes it much harder for them to hang on once they were able to capture their fish prey. Under most circumstances, even the largest of creek chubs will have a diet of 95% plus invertebrates.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hope JHAP don't freak because the Creek Chubs are taking out the GSF on the small side. Hey, they won't grow any bigger once partially digested laugh

Where is JHAP anyway?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM