Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (PRCS, FishinRod, Boondoggle, esshup, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 707 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Hybrid water lillies provide great cover for your minnows. You can plant them along the shoreline in 6-18" of water. If your banks are real steep it might be harder. I have planted several in a shallow end of my pond and they were quick to take hold, unfortunately the geese that have started to call the pond home ate them all over the weekend. Once goose season starts (September 15) we will make sure they don't return...

F
OP Offline
F
I can make some shallower areas to plant the hybrid lilies. There is a big shallow area on the front of the pond. I will level it out to be around 12 to 18 inches and that will be where I plant them. All the rest of my banks will really be around 4 to 6 feet strait up and down except for the dam which has a less steep pitch. The sam will be covered in rip rap. Is there a certain spacing requirement for planting lilies? Do they tend to take over certain spots? How much sun do they require? Thanks for all the help.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." -
F
OP Offline
F
Rockville, I hate that the geese have done that to you, but I always like a man with a plan! Hammer down on those honkers! We have a few residential birds around here, but we have been mostly forced to hunt migrators. Good luck.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." -
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Can we assume that your steep banks have some slope-pitch or are they vertical? Vertical banks could cause you problems with cave ins, erosion and slippage. How well can vertical banks be compacted to miminize leakage? 2:1 slopes-pitch as steep banks are best for stable non-sloughing compacted sidewalls and 3:1 'pitch' also work well.

Hybrid water lilies:
1. since the pond is new it is best to put a little topsoil (6") in the areas where you want lilies. Lilies can grow easily in 2'-3' of water which is probably a better depths considering water going down during dry periods. IN one area maybe put larger rocks down to 2'-3' and plant the lilies on a ledge there below the rock line. that should be aestetic when they bloom and provide small fish-crayfish extra rocky cover.
2. Hybrid lilies will spread fairly slow so I would plant them about 5 to 30 ft apart depending on the size of the lily (dwarf, small, medium, large).
3. Lilies grow fastest in soft sediments and shallow water. Much slower in hard packed clay bottoms. This can affect the spacing of plantings.
4. Lilies do best with at least 4 hrs of direct sunlight.

See this link for more homework about hardy hybrid water lilies.
If you have never dealt with hybrid water lilies you should read my article in Pond Boss magazine about what to do and not to do and how choose, plant, transplant and to control them.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=110943#Post110943

Repeat from the link above:
1. WATER LILIES IN PONDS? Part 1. by Bill Cody March -April 2010: pg 36-38. Types of floating leaf lily-like plants, their features, and control methods.
2. HYBRID WATER LILIES Part 2. Jul-Aug 2010: pg 48-52. All about hybrid hardy water lilies, root types, choosing from the many varieties, numerous examples, planting, dividing and transplanting, sources.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/13/12 05:09 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
OP Offline
F
Again thanks Mr Cody. A few of the areas are very steep but do have some pitch. Bit around 1/3 of te banks are completely vertical. I am not sure how it was packed, but it has been that way since I started dating my wife around 15 years ago. I have frog hunted this pond since then (it's really her farm) and the banks have always seemed stable.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Steep banks and somewhat vertical are good IMO if you can keep them from caving in. Steep banks minimize weed growth and concentrate submerged plants into narrow bands around the edges esp in clearer waters. Steep banks help a lot to keep weed growth to that ideal 15%-25% coverage.

F
OP Offline
F
Well, we are set there. Once we get all the water out, I'll take a few more pictures and do my best to post. I've been talking around with some friends and they are willing to help with the renovation (for a fishing pass!) and have chipped in on the brush removal. By next week we will have clear passage to the pond on all sides. Things are looking up as it is changing from cesspool to the beginnings of a pond! Thanks fellas!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In giving the m the fishing pass, just make sure they abide by the rules you set out to ensure that your goals are met.

It's kinda like what I do when shooting for a dog trainer. I try to drop the bird where he wants it dropped, and when. Not when I think I should shoot the bird.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
OP Offline
F
Esshup, I agree. All of my buddies will play by the rules. That's why we are buddies! I would only let the people I know and respect go unattended. Most will be taking their children or wives. This will be a good place for gamily fun is what I am hoping for.

F
F
Froggy--- You haven't mentioned(at least that I have seen) how you are going to remove the muck. A bulldozer can push it, but the muck acts like a really wet concrete mix. What I mean is that if it's like the stuff I had, there is no way it will pile up. Just be prepared..........

F
OP Offline
F
Bull dozer is the plan. What I have may not be muck but really soft mud. I am not for sure of the difference. When we cut the dam out, I don't care to push the muck/mud out of the drainage ditch that we cut. I'll just push it on down the hill. I wouldn't even care to have a shallow marshy area at the bottom of the hill to continue to frog hunt. I guess that is the plan. Not really sure as I have never done it before. Guess I was kinda hoping redneck ingenuity would take over and provide a solution! Any ideas on muck removal?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Repeat from above: "What professionals often do when rebuilding a pond and dealing with damp or still wet slop is to mix dry dirt from other dry parts of the pond with it so it can be pushed or lifted. Don't get stuck in that wet stuff,, it can be deceiving and sticky. Maybe after the pond is drained, let it dry out for at least a week. A week of warm sunny breezy weather can cause a lot of drying of wet sediments." The old time operators I've watched use a dozer to do the mixing. It might take an experienced operator to get that job done to know how much dry stuff to mix so it pushes well. Wet slop that was spread fairly thick from the pond bottom took a good two years to dry well for me when I rebuilt.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/14/12 08:31 PM.

F
F
Edit:Bill responded as I was typing. Heed his advice. He has been around this stuff for a long time. Muck is deceiving because it will all level out nice and flat. You start in it when it is only a few inches deep, and then before you know it your in a deep whole covering your whole dozer....

You will have to work it out as you go. Just when you get it figured out, invariables will force you to change plans. If you can cut the dam down to drain all of it, that will help tremendously. I am glad to hear that you can push it out and downhill out of the way. Trucking it is a hassle. Bill mentioned some good advice on moving the muck earlier. I was told to start on one side and take solid dirt and create a dam that starts pushing against the muck. In a very carefull approach, the muck will slide ahead of that solid dirt/dam and you can move it in the direction you want without having to be in it. Of course this is dependent on if it really is a soft muck like watery concrete. It turned out that I could not do it this way because of my terrain.

The one bit of advice that was given to me that was simple but worth its weight in gold. "As you work, always plan as if it is going to rain in the next hour."

Last edited by fish n chips; 08/14/12 09:12 PM.
F
OP Offline
F
Bull dozer is the plan. What I have may not be muck but really soft mud. I am not for sure of the difference. When we cut the dam out, I don't care to push the muck/mud out of the drainage ditch that we cut. I'll just push it on down the hill. I wouldn't even care to have a shallow marshy area at the bottom of the hill to continue to frog hunt. I guess that is the plan. Not really sure as I have never done it before. Guess I was kinda hoping redneck ingenuity would take over and provide a solution! Any ideas on muck removal?

F
OP Offline
F
Sorry, don't know how I re-posted the same comment! I am gonna try to spread the dry dirt on the slop, I guess we will just keep working at it until we get it. My wife's uncle is pretty famous around here for dirt work. He is the man that has shown me a bunch about dozers and tractors. I may consult him about helping. $100 an hour sounds much better than a disappearing dozer! If anyone I know can get the muck out, he can. I just want to do as much as I can for myself. Long term, I would like to learn how to core a dam and build a couple of more ponds on the property. 250 acres is to big to only have 2 BOW totaling less than 2 acres!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images