Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,263
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, FireIsHot, bmicek, catscratch, Sunil, Ponderific2024, fishengelbert), 1,125 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#297915 07/02/12 05:02 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello! I just posted pictures of our recently cleared (from suspended clay particulates) 1 acre pond over on the introduction for new members forum. It looks awesome!! We can see, now that it is clear, that we do have some fish in there. There is a least one CC and at least of couple of adult LMB. I do believe that we have spotted some small LMB as well. There are lots of minnows and some small perch (at least what we call perch... perhaps they are GSF?)

Anyway, our goal is to create a clear pond for swimming (for safety reasons) but don't at all mind the fish and realize that it's better for the ecosystem anyway. However, we are trying to avoid as much nibbling on humans as possible so am reconsidering my original idea of adding in BG. But now I am reading that LMB will do a fair amount of nibbling themselves!

HELP! There is so much information that my head is spinning. I imagine that the kids will fish in the pond for fun but we intend for that to only be catch and release. Any suggestions for the fish I should introduce? Or do I need to introduce any at all? Our fear is that now that the bass can see that they will eat everything in sight.

We are working on an aeration system ala RC51 or something simliar. Am I on the right track? What else do I need to be doing? I know... too many questions....

C
OP Offline
C
So... just thinking this through some more... Since I already have LMB,CC and what I think are GSF... should I consider adding RES? We do have occasional ducks that we have to run out of the pond and that would hopefully reduce the chance of swimmers itch.

Thanks!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Post a picture of the "perch".
With LMB present you will have to stock sunfish of at least 5 inches length.

If you can keep ducks away it will go a long way towards getting swimmers itch. I think it is a pretty rare affliction in Texas. I've never known of anybody getting it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd stock the RES and not the BG. With the limited spawn that you might have, you most likely will need to remove LMB on occasion. That's O.K., they taste pretty good.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for your help. Since I don't really know how many bass (at least one pair and some juvenile ones too) could you recommend how I should determine how many RES to stock?

Trying to get and post of picture of my "perch".

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
LMB will not nibble on swimmers. Will not and never will. Those that say they will do not either recognize their fish or are reporting untruths. Many primarily swimming ponds in NW Ohio have just LMB that stay small 8"-10" and no one gets bit.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/03/12 04:31 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you! This is very helpful and goes along with my own experience and the experience of others I know. I appreciate you taking the time to post!

E
E
ClearWater - I'm curious as to why you are so concerned with nibbles. The fish can't hurt anyone and a simple splash with the hand scares them away for a while. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not criticizing you. It just seems as a non-issue here at our house.

Thanks,
LCH
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not too scare you but my BG "nibble" it usually don't hurt at all unless it's a nipple nibble.. NOT FUN it's not like they clamp down at all they just peck and leave usually aiming for hair my kids are 4 and 6 and swim almost daily they get nibbled all the time and it doesn't bother them.. If your jumping and splashing most the big fish stay clear little nibble here and there won't bother you after you experience it a few times trust me..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Before you stock RES you should read this thread: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=231405&page=1

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Not too scare you but my BG "nibble" it usually don't hurt at all unless it's a nipple nibble.. NOT FUN it's not like they clamp down at all they just peck and leave usually aiming for hair my kids are 4 and 6 and swim almost daily they get nibbled all the time and it doesn't bother them.. If your jumping and splashing most the big fish stay clear little nibble here and there won't bother you after you experience it a few times trust me..

You should open up one of those fish petticure (or whatever) salons! IIRC they use Zebra fish and they eat all the dead skin off your body. Mostly feet and such.

People pay big bucks to get nibbled by fish laugh

Last edited by JKB; 07/15/12 11:08 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hoo boy, down the toilet it goes.

We're tricking you. Here's what they look like after they've been in the pond and pushed around by swimmers:

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
M
That's why chunks of raw steak make the best bait for redear.

I
I
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
LMB will not nibble on swimmers. Will not and never will. Those that say they will do not either recognize their fish or are reporting untruths. Many primarily swimming ponds in NW Ohio have just LMB that stay small 8"-10" and no one gets bit.

I disagree. While on vacation on norris lake this summer we were swimming off the dock at the very end of the cove and a small school of "minnows" kept pecking at us. I got a minnow net and was able to capture one after it nibbled on my leg hair. MOST DEFINATLY a LMB. they pecked at us ALL week long.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think Bill was referring to LMB that are grown.. They won't nibble..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I was referring to LMB 3" and larger. Indy was talking about late fry stage fish while still in schools. There is usually an exception to all rules. Small fish think body hair are aquatic worms and possibly some of the midge larvae. I trust those nibblers did not do a lot of damage to your legs.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/07/12 07:33 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 01:03 PM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM