Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,008
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Dave Davidson1, esshup, bmicek, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Rick O, SetterGuy), 1,069 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#299717 07/18/12 05:51 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Pretty neat little gizmo for taking remote control of a host computer while allowing the host (and operator) to fully function.

Did some testing yesterday and am kinda excited about how this works and how easy it is.

Now to employ this on a project and wait for the "ghost in the machine" to appear. Without being there!

Last edited by JKB; 07/19/12 04:28 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yep, used to use it a lot for my office before we had a VPN in place. No need for it now as I can log in remotely from anywhere I have a connection, but logmein was a great tool. We actually still use it for certain functions that my IT consultant needs for remote system administration, but I don't use it personally now.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
In this project. There are no networks or internet, but there is a panel PC. So, I am going to hook up a mobile broadband device and wait for the fault to occur without having to sit there all day. I know what the fault is, but it is in 7, 16 bit binary, and no documentation. Cant get into the proprietary software either. Company who wrote it went out of business 10 years ago, and the last person known to have worked on this passed away a few years ago. Only way to find out what is really going on is to capture the binary code in the PLC's when the fault happens and trace it backward. Logmein is a perfect tool for doing this.

Last edited by JKB; 07/20/12 12:44 PM.
JKB, I feel your pain. We still have some LINC software running here on City of Dallas systems. Very difficult and expensive to support the old legacy stuff. Of course, we still run Windows XP on the City's desktops, so it is what it is.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
In this project. There are no networks or internet, but there is a panel PC. So, I am going to hook up a mobile broadband device and wait for the fault to occur without having to sit there all day. I know what the fault is, but it is in 7, 16 bit binary, and no documentation. Cant get into the proprietary software either. Company who wrote it went out of business 10 years ago, and the last person known to have who worked on this passed away a few years ago. Only way to find out what is really going on is to capture the binary code in the PLC's when the fault happens and trace it backward. Logmein is a perfect tool for doing this.

To borrow a couple of lines from Finding Nemo:

Marlin: It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it.

Marlin: [to Squirt] Look, you're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying. Say the first thing again.

Todd La Neve

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Originally Posted By: JKB
In this project. There are no networks or internet, but there is a panel PC. So, I am going to hook up a mobile broadband device and wait for the fault to occur without having to sit there all day. I know what the fault is, but it is in 7, 16 bit binary, and no documentation. Cant get into the proprietary software either. Company who wrote it went out of business 10 years ago, and the last person known to have who worked on this passed away a few years ago. Only way to find out what is really going on is to capture the binary code in the PLC's when the fault happens and trace it backward. Logmein is a perfect tool for doing this.

To borrow a couple of lines from Finding Nemo:

Marlin: It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it.

Marlin: [to Squirt] Look, you're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying. Say the first thing again.

Sorry Todd, I was in a hurry this morning. I can actually explain this, but would probably cause a few headaches.

With 9,210 members on PB, maybe thought...

Bottom line. This program will help out quite a bit.

Thanks for your input!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
grin

I'm sure you'd explain it perfectly clearly, buddy! I'm just not that technical. I understand a little bit about software and perhaps a bit more about the particulars of my office network, but that's where it stops! I admire those who can actually make sense out of the IT world.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I keep seeing this thread pop up. I finally broke down and went for some Chinese food, including some LoMeIn and ChowMeIn. grin

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I keep seeing this thread pop up. I finally broke down and went for some Chinese food, including some LoMeIn and ChowMeIn. grin

I found logMein to be a little "woody".

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
grin

I'm sure you'd explain it perfectly clearly, buddy! I'm just not that technical. I understand a little bit about software and perhaps a bit more about the particulars of my office network, but that's where it stops! I admire those who can actually make sense out of the IT world.

Trust me. Different animal than an IT guy/gal could figure out. I just wanted a way to hook up to it and get on the DH+ network -via- Ethernet. Fortunately, when they built this ride in 1998, someone installed a gateway program on the panel PC, but never configured it. It is setup! and working perfectly on local wireless. Now, just have to do it over internet. This (subject) program should work fine!

Checking out another ride at the park, just to look at the control system. Top Notch!

Actually thinking about increasing my heart beat a bit , after the Doc say's OK! wink

No fear! No fear!! No fear at all!!!...

I ain't doing the drop thing tho!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM