Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Hall of Fame
Fingerling
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Fingerling
R
Check out this ad, maybe he has a new business idea if you can afford it.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/grd/3147454008.html

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Good post Roy. I agree...this is the germ of a business idea generating revenue from an otherwise discarded resource. I think organic pond sludge too might have a market for gardeners. If you can sell chicken scat and bat guano why not "organic supercharger water" and "organic supercharger potting medium"?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't think I could make money at that rate if I had to deliver it. I figure I could haul about 200 gallons of water with my pickup truck -- so, that would be $40 worth of water. By the time I filled a tank, or tanks, delivered the water, emptied the water, and paid for gasoline, I doubt I'd be making $10/hour.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The Cat Man speaketh common sense !!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
$10/hour!!! Where do I sign up?

Just do it...
Lunker
Lunker
Why deliver? Make them come to you for the miracle water/soil. Give away a pet raccoon to lucky customers. City folk love those cute critters!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
"Give away a pet raccoon to lucky customers. City folk love those cute critters!"

Now that is funny Teehjaeh57!!!!

I'll add one other business idea. Along with the customer coming on site, how about a 10% discount if they harvest their own water? For a limited time of course. wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Give away a pet raccoon to lucky customers. City folk love those cute critters!

Wouldn't that be fair turnabout! A few years ago when I was having lots of problems with those "cute critters" I went into town to get some additional live traps. The perky young lady who was helping me asked what I was trapping. When I told her, she said "oh, they are great. They won't hurt the racoons, and you can take them out into the country and release them.".

It took a lot of stamina to keep from seriously verbally abusing her.

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Ha that's funny Cat! Maybe you should take her one smile

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That's a classic

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: mnfish
"Give away a pet raccoon to lucky customers. City folk love those cute critters!"

Now that is funny Teehjaeh57!!!!

I'll add one other business idea. Along with the customer coming on site, how about a 10% discount if they harvest their own water? For a limited time of course. wink

I think you and I think FAR too much alike...I really love that idea. It does provide a great chance to exercise...sell a monthly membership to work out on our farms? Fresh air, wildlife, water pumping...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I think you and I think FAR too much alike...I really love that idea. It does provide a great chance to exercise...sell a monthly membership to work out on our farms? Fresh air, wildlife, water pumping...

That "silly idea" is reality around here. My wife and I, along with a number of friends, have been encouraged by a various groups to do something similar at our place and at friends' places.

At least here in the mid-Atlantic area, and in particular in the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding areas, it is known as "agri-tourism."

It ties closely with Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) for raising fruits, vegetables, eggs, chickens, beef, pork, etc. It is where people sign a contract to provide labor and money to make our farms viable, and to learn about food production, in exchange for a share of the products -- good, bad, or indifferent.

Just "Google" a guy down the road from us -- Joel Salatin. Or "Google" Harvey Ussery, a fairly close neighbor to RockvilleMDAngler. There are a whole lot more within about 25-50 miles of us. They've become celebrities.

It seems that sophisticated and very well educated people from Washington DC and the surrounding suburbs want to mix with those of us in our bib overalls, or pants held up with suspenders, and wearing silly hats. They seem to want to learn the Appalachian dialect that so many of my friends speak. (For instance, there ain't no word "were" in the dialect -- only "was". Like -- "you was serious?", "they was on their way to the swimmin hole" ..., etc.).

These people want to learn how to dance with us in barns on miserable snowy and icy January and February nights -- or maybe they just want to sample all the crazy foods we enjoy.

So, ...

Anybody else want to join us for a big fish fry, a little music, and lots of laughing and scratching at our place on late Saturday afternoon and evening. We'll have a number of three- and four-generation families and friends. If the weather is really going to be as bad as they predict, we'll just empty out the tractor shed and crank up the generator. Fun will be had by all generations.

Louisiana or Western Virginia/West Virginia, and all in between, is all about the same. We just have Bluegrass instead of Zydeco, Jazz, or The Blues. We enjoy friends and life. We love food other people shun. People of the city seem to want what we have. I don't want to have what they have. Been there, done that!

Quote:
Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow,
Kick off your shoes and you throw ‘em on the floor.
Dance in the kitchen 'til the morning light:
Louisiana Saturday night.

Waiting in the front yard, sitting on a log;
Single shot rifle and a one-eyed dog.
Yonder come my kin folk in the moonlight:

Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow
Kick off your shoes and you throw ‘em on the floor
Dance in the kitchen 'til the morning light
Louisiana Saturday night

My brother Bill an' my other brother Jack,
Belly full o'beer and a possum in a sack.
Fifteen kids in the front porch light:
Louisiana Saturday night!

When the kinfolk leave an' the kids get fed,
Me an' my woman gonna slip off to bed.
Have a little fun when we turn out the lights!
Louisiana Saturday night!

Well, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow,
Yeah, you get down the fiddle and you get down the bow,

Get down the fiddle and. you get down the bow,

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Ken, I think you've got this crazy life figured out...

Just do it...
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I agree rmedgar...Ken does have it figured out.

And for the record..I am still laughing at that TJ idea with the cute raccoon give away.

I have this picture of a brand new luxury SUV with a city family driving away with their new cute pet and 20 gallons of the best organic water on earth. So proud that they are now green and saved the life of a poor innocent raccoon from those terrible hillbillies. On the way home, to the big sophisticated city, little Nadine decides the cage is too small and that's mean to the cute raccoon. So, of course she lets it out. BAM!!! And just like that dad and the whole family are standing on I90 in total dismay as they watch the cute raccoon tip over the water tanks, shed the interior of the entire truck, and release the nastiest contents known to man from its rear end.

After reading this I'm sure you have all figured it out...I don't get out much. smile

Lunker
Lunker
ROFLMAO! Let's make it a Range Rover or a BMW

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
laugh laugh
... and let's not forget that young Rutherford was on his cell phone when all of this happened, and he left his phone in the vehicle as he escaped, and now Aunt Tootie hears all of the mayhem and thinks that the entire family is being violated by a bunch of WV hillbillies...

Just do it...
Lunker
Lunker
Rutherford - classic!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
News flash. It's not necessary to live in the mountains out east, or the swamps down south to experience the lifestyle talked about in this thread. I live less than 60 miles south of Indianapolis, and 20 miles west of Bloomington, the home of Indiana University, and I could take you to more than one relatives house where the folks therein make the greatest portion of their income selling fur, morel mushrooms, ginseng, and yellow root. I think they all have indoor plumbing now, but the last one just relented in the previous 5-6 years...the outhouses are still there, and still operable. No air conditioning in these houses, wood heat only in the wintertime.

Chickens roam free-range in the front yard, and barefoot kids carry water to the hogs..... if it's not grown or killed right nearby, it probably doesn't get set on the supper table. Yes, I have chosen a different life than some members of my family. However, it is still a part of who I am. And I can tell you that these folks don't glamourize, or paint a rosy picture about their way of life, they merely accept it as fact and go on.

If someone would like to see for themselves, come on over and we'll run all over these hills and hollers. But when we get to where we're going, it would probably be best if you stayed in the truck and let me do a little talking first.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Sparkplug, that's great. I love people that live off the land and don't complain and "merely accept it as fact and go on". I think I was born 100 years too late...

Just do it...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nah, you just lived 100 years too long.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I like the additions to the story fellas Rutheford and BMW!!!

I am proud to say that I am aspiring to live the "off the land" lifestyle. No matter what label people put on it, i.e. hillbillie. I just like poking fun at people who think their produce and meats just materilize from a magical place.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: mnfish
I like the additions to the story fellas Rutheford and BMW!!!

I am proud to say that I am aspiring to live the "off the land" lifestyle. No matter what label people put on it, i.e. hillbillie. I just like poking fun at people who think their produce and meats just materilize from a magical place.

I understand mnfish. The only point I wished to make with my post is that there is a huge, huge difference between choosing to live a particular lifestyle, and doing so because it's the only way you know.

Many of my relatives don't have internet, computers, cell phones, or cable/satellite TV. Their houses don't have insulation, or central heating systems w/ductwork. They can't go back to their "other" life, simply because there isn't one, and never was. This way of life is not an internet novelty, or an experimental blog to them, it's a matter of survival.

I admire your ambition to "naturalize" your way of life. I believe the desire to do just that exists in many people, to a varying degree. I also believe that not too many families would be comfortable making the transition to that lifestyle, in its simplest, purest form.

Progress continues, even in a backwards county such as this one. Concessions are made, and things change. Hopefully for the betterment of everyone. Not all changes are easy, or even welcome. Oftentimes, there is a heavy price to be paid first.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Sparkplug point taken. And I am truely sorry if I offended you or any one in your family. It was most certainly not my intent. Again, I apologize.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
No worries, and no apology necessary. We all travel different paths, even within the same family. My personal situation has been such that I no longer walk the walk myself, although I would like to think that I could still do so, should circumstances require it. But that certainly doesn't mean I would enjoy it. I'm pretty spoiled! smile

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I was raised rural. That's a huge understatement. I remember when the out house was built. I remember when we got electricity. A telephone came much later. Now, the very thought of living without the "conveniences" of indoor plumbing, electricity, telephones, computers, etc makes me question whether I could handle it again.

I guess I could as long as I had A/C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??