Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,935
Posts557,703
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (Abaggs, FireIsHot, Sunil, Shorthose, Theo Gallus, rjackson), 712 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Is this a choice for a 80'x 100' pond/pool as I have concrete side walls with steps and concrete floor in 30 to 40% of the area. I am tired of treating the water every which way and still just disapointed. I just want a clear water and dont need a food chain as I will fully feed /support whatever is needed. But I also want lilly pads/and Fish. Can I add a big enough filter system to Make Me happy??? Has anyone seen or done this before???

Last edited by Rob Cater; 07/05/12 06:54 PM.

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm sure it can be done, but I'll bet unless your budget is on the scale of some of the large public aquariums, I don't think it's going to be feasible. You can have a pool, or a pond, but not both combined and expect pool-like water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
So far I spend thousands a year on pond management and I am still disappointed... so how much does happiness cost??? what type of specks does it take?? filter size?? turn rates?? UV filteration reccomended?? should I consider a natural Pool bio filtersystem and still be disappointed.

Just askin??

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have no idea. But, I ran across this place when researching filtration systems last year. I have not done business with them, nor any affiliation, but maybe give them a shout and let us know what they say. It looks like they have some pretty large systems.
http://www.emperoraquatics.com/complete-filter-systems-layout.php They're located in Pa.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rob,

I always dislike being the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it can be done unless you put in a swimming pool with filtering and chemicals.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, I'm not so sure. Aquariums are pretty clear. I figure that you just need a big enough filtration system. How big are the aquariums at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, the one in Morro Bay, Ca, etc.?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken, I'm not so sure. Aquariums are pretty clear. I figure that you just need a big enough filtration system. How big are the aquariums at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, the one in Morro Bay, Ca, etc.?

No sunlight on those, though, right?

F
F
have you read on here about the RAS systems, and how hard do you think it would be to customize one to your situation?? Its a thought,... it may take a building for the RAS to sit in so that the algea doesnt over come it, but the cloth buildings are getting cheapper every year??

So how long would it take to cycle 250,000 gallons??

would a complete filtration of your pond in a week do the trick for you?? of course there will be limits. Have you considered dying the water blue??

is there lots of muck on the botom?? If you drained and cleaned it out and put in defusers or a surface fountain??

If your budget is Thousands a year, hire an expert to come take a look, and see how close he thinks you could get to your goal.!

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
F
F
the PB conferense is in your state this year too!! just a though...

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Duh (as he slaps his forehead) you're absolutely correct. blush

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
I do plan to attend the fall PB conferce to gain some information on this subject. I have constructed 2 ponds on my 4 acer property in 2005. They have been a great Joy to me but I am in difficult decision as I have not been able to have the water quality that I had planned for.

Maybe I could only do a portion of the pond and Keep the water seperate??

The pond I have is a littel different as I call it my Jethrow Bodine memorial pool/pond as I have a 30 x 30 foot section with steps and travels from 6 inches to 5 feet deep.

My wife wants me to construct another swimming pool but I would like to get My pond dream to come true. Surly, I can find a better choice than building a seperate POOL.... that doesn't seem to be in the Pond Boss thing to do after all.

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
AS the pond was Constructed I lined the bottom with plastic road mat and lined it with 6 inch limestone Rip rap.
I have used pond dye for the last 3 seasons but with little success. several Alum tretements. regular green clean, and Microb lifts sence construction, adjusted ph as needed , all with little if any net improvement.
I will post some pictures next week.

Last edited by Rob Cater; 07/06/12 03:13 PM.

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
P
P

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Duh (as he slaps his forehead) you're absolutely correct. blush

You can stop slapping yourself. I doubt they issue night vision goggles at public aquariums. Some light has to be there. It is not just sunlight that promotes algae growth. They also have eeekspensive filtration systems to deal with it! shocked

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Have you checked out planted Bog filters. They are relatively inexpensive to make and are used to keep koi ponds looking good. Check the web and you will find sizing information and diy plans. Basically, you dig a second pond fill it with peastone and pump the water from the bottom of your display pond into the bog. Water flows through the bog, plants in the bog suck up nutrients and filtered water then flows into the pond.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RobC Do you have fish in the pond? If so what kind and about how many? What ways do nutrients get in the water? Nutrients cause most of the problems that I think you are referring to. When at the PBoss Conference talk to the Floating Island people. Floating islands are not a magic bullet but a good start in your situation. Plants are going to naturally purfiy your pond water. Plants filter water - nature's way of how its done. Annually harvesting lots of plants that have grown in the pond will be a key component to keeping water clear each year. Killing growth and trying to stop growth will not be your solutions to clear water in that big of a pond. Dye just covers up or hides the problem and does little to solve the real cause of cloudiness. Dye is basically "make-up on a pig"

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/08/12 03:10 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
L
L
Bender, I think you have suggested the best option here, as something like this is self-sustaining apart from the smallish water pump to keep things circulating. Those bog plants can remove a LOT of nutrients. The bigger the bog, the better the filter. The drawback is water loss through all of the vegetation, plus bugs if fish cant get in there to keep it cleaned out.

Otherwise our local zoo has several large sand-based canister filters running with at least 3 20HP electric motor pumps to keep up with the seal crap. Those tanks are in the 250M gallon range. Even then it is not pool-clear but not horrible. I think there are some UV sterilizers off of the pumps, but I cant be sure. I cannot imagine the electric costs... not to mention the installation costs.

I say live with a little algae, it is good for you and keeps your immune system working on things it should be rather than attacking silly things like pollen.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I've seen some pretty clear koi ponds that are in direct sunlight, but they have pretty extensive filtration and plants. Seems expensive.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Bender, I think you have suggested the best option here, as something like this is self-sustaining apart from the smallish water pump to keep things circulating. Those bog plants can remove a LOT of nutrients. The bigger the bog, the better the filter. The drawback is water loss through all of the vegetation, plus bugs if fish cant get in there to keep it cleaned out.

If I remember right, the bog sizing is around 10-20% of the pond. To help with the bug problem the peastone can be filled above the bog water level, so there is no exposed water. Some people plant these bogs like they would their gardens. Bog plants are best for removing nutrients, but there is something about the filter providing more than filtration that appeals to me.

R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
At 100 gpm filter system with a uv sterlizer and pump is a place to start consideration. and if it works is will be cheeper than building my wife a seperate Pool. this should filter everything in 48 hours??? does this sound reasonable?

Remember. I have concluded that I will trade off a food chain for clean/clear water. This pond is 30 steps from the back door and 100% sidewalk and good Hot and cold running potable water and 60 AMP cir box already installed. see photo galley for an look at what I have to start with.

Last edited by Rob Cater; 07/15/12 08:46 PM.

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
R
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
I posted some photos of on the gallery and I dont know how to link them to this thred?

Rob Cater
Moberly Missouri
D
D
Rob, try this link for posting info on photos. You might have to copy and paste the link.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=213586#Post213586

Lunker
Lunker
Here is the link to Rob Carter's pond: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=299351

It looks nice! I wish I would have put some steps in.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That sure is a nice pond. I hope you don't mind me popping these up here. I'm a bit bored waiting for the laundry to get done.

Hey isn't it the Beverly Hillbillys that has one of them there Cement Ponds??? LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by Abaggs - 04/16/24 08:39 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by catscratch - 04/16/24 06:54 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?