Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My flyrod is missing.

I know (at least I think I know) that I used it early this morning. The last fish I remember catching was a small bluegill. It grabbed one of my home-made poppers, which got caught in it's gills. I couldn't get the popper out of the bloody gills, so I cut the line and threw the fish and popper in the big mulch pile behind the main pond. I quit fishing, and put the flyrod on the walkway to the dock -- at least I think I did. I switched over to my ultralight rod -- which I'm fairly certain of!

Somebody was cutting trees near one of my property lines, so I went up and met the guy, fish pole in hand. Even though I've lived here for seven years, I had no idea who owned the property above my pond. This guy has two ponds on the other side of the hill. He seemed like a pretty reasonable sort, and we know a lot of people in common.

My wife and I had some appointments this afternoon. Our 11 lb., rescued "Terror Dog" gets put in the basement when my wife and I are not home. Our "Scary Cat" (Igor -- the 18 pound rescued Siberian Forest Cat with bright yellow eyes) was inside too. The other animals were, well, wherever they were ...

I got some new popper/lure supplies at a craft store this afternoon.

I wanted to try them out. I made up a couple of new poppers.

My flyrod was gone!

I used my grappling hook to look for it in the pond all around where I thought I last placed it. The Terror Dog and the Scary Cat helped me look everywhere else -- the main pond perimeter, the small ponds perimeters, the barn, the chicken coop, the junk shed, the garage, the tractor shed ...

My wife says "wait till morning."

If I don't find my flyrod in the morning, maybe I'll put up some of my game cameras around the pond -- if I can remember where I put them!

Gettin' old is ...
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Hilarious to everyone else?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Unless you find your fly rod leaning against the outhouse, I wouldn't sweat the memory thing, yet!.

I'd get some game cameras up and see who's enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
My guess is: you took your fly rod with you to talk to your neighbor, and left
it leaning against a tree after you left him.
Since you're my older twin, should I expect this "condition" soon???

Just do it...
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
LOL - very entertaining story to which I can surely relate!

I too am routinely losing things, but sometimes then forget exactly what I lost, and am left with that hollow sense of something not quite right in my world. Hard to describe - I know something has happened, which originally made me anxious, but then completely forget the object I lost. Folks reporting alien abductions probably feel a lot like this, too.

Could it be your flyrod is many light years away by now?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, I'm cheaper than you. I would have dug the popper out of the BG before tossing the fish. wink

You mean you only have ONE fly rod? You have to remedy that situation. That way you can still fish and the other one will turn up on it's own.

I did something similar to what happened to you probably 12 years ago. I put a heavy duty spinning rod out on the pier at the lake house, wedging it behind the motor on the boat hoist. I had chummed the area by the pier for carp, and tossed out a hook full of corn. I had to go to the house (60' from the water) and got sidetracked. When I got back to the lake, the rod and reel (Penn 650SS) was gone. I looked and looked, and couldn't find it anywhere. I even searched around in the lake by the pier for it with a hook on a pole. Nothing. Did I bring it up to the house? I finally gave up after looking for a week for it

It wasn't until the ice went off the lake the next Spring that I found it. It was laying on the bottom. The only thing that I think what happened is this:

There was a bass tournament going on in the lake. Since the line on the rod wasn't broke, and the hook was there I can only surmise that a fisherman hooked the rod, and somehow pulled it into the lake. They continued to fish as if nothing happened. The upper part of the rod was wedged behind the motor on the hoist, with the handle of the rod resting on the pier. Sort of as if you leaned the rod up in the corner of a building. There's no way that a fish pulling line off of the reel would drag it into the water.

It would have been nice if they would have come up to house and told me.......

I'll bet the rod is where you were talking to your neighbor too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks all. Yes Randy -- if it isn't already affecting you, it soon will. Or, you may not be remembering that it is affecting you.

Still no flyrod. Dawg and I checked all the usual places again this morning.

Scott, as for being cheap -- I've gotten real cheap. Actually, it seems like commercial poppers have gotten real expensive, so I started making my own. I'll make 20-30 at a time. I'll by a 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch stick of basswood from a hobby shop -- about a dollar. I'll trim it, cut it into popper lengths, slit it for a hook, drop a hook into it, and put some "Goop" on it. I'll spray paint the bottom sides with a light colored paint, like light yellow or green. I'll paint the top sides with with a darker yellow or green. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of deer hair, pieces of chicken feather, etc. When they are dry, I put dots on them with a "Sharpie" permanent marker. Sometimes I'll get fancy and add tiny stick-on "rattle" eyes that are about a penny a piece. I also make poppers, or whatever they may be called, from craft foam and the rubber strings inside bungee cords. So, my poppers basically cost me pennies a piece. They just aren't real sturdy. But then, the commercial ones aren't very sturdy either.

I know I didn't leave it leaning on a fence post at the neighbors -- that was my ultralight, which I retrieved after a slight detour!

And, yes, I only have had one flyrod.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Do I know you?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I think I met a guy named cat once many years go but I can't recall for sure ! blush -- laugh

L
L
*pffft!* I am only 43 and have cranial overload. Constantly forgetting stuff from one second to the next. I blame it on my crazy job sucking all of my brain's capability dry, leaving me nothing at the end of the day.

It is fun tripping over something you were sure you lost a few months later. It is like finding that emergency 50 dollar bill taped to the back of your college desk on graduation day while getting ready to move out of the dorm. Party time!

The worst one was loosing a pair of those really nice pruners for apple trees that cost upwards of $40. Looked all over the place and gave up. Bought another pair the next spring and went out to trim my apple trees. Suddenly I had two of them! To this day I have no idea where I found the old pair but I did check for alien space craft to be sure. I can only guess they were still in the tree where I couldn't see them until I got up in it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Do I know you?
I think so. Aren't you that short young fella with the dark hair and Boston accent?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've got good news and bad news. I got my fly rod back. Unfortunately it is now a three piece rod, and it was previously just a 2-piece rod.

How it got to where it was is a mystery. It was tangled up in a tree I dropped in the pond a couple of years ago -- about 50 feet from my dock. I hooked a medium size BG near this brush pile. It went deep and I thought it got tangled in the old tree. As I started to try and free my line, I noticed I had hooked my flyrod. Before I could free it, I snapped off the top 12 inches, or so. I retrieved it too. Not sure if it is worth repairing.

At least it wasn't my old memory - if I correctly remember.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
*pffft!* I am only 43 and have cranial overload. Constantly forgetting stuff from one second to the next. I blame it on my crazy job sucking all of my brain's capability dry, leaving me nothing at the end of the day.

It is fun tripping over something you were sure you lost a few months later. It is like finding that emergency 50 dollar bill taped to the back of your college desk on graduation day while getting ready to move out of the dorm. Party time!

The worst one was loosing a pair of those really nice pruners for apple trees that cost upwards of $40. Looked all over the place and gave up. Bought another pair the next spring and went out to trim my apple trees. Suddenly I had two of them! To this day I have no idea where I found the old pair but I did check for alien space craft to be sure. I can only guess they were still in the tree where I couldn't see them until I got up in it.

LOL! Don't be so sure...there have to be apple trees needing to be pruned somewhere else in the universe. I've noticed that when they return the "borrowed" items they are typically in good shape - but my chief complaint is they don't sharpen the blades. In my part of the country it's common courtesy that when you borrow a tool from someone you ought to return it in better shape that you found it. Can master inter-dimensional travel but won't top off the oil and gas in my Stihl that went missing for 3 months? Superior beings, indeed!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I've got good news and bad news. I got my fly rod back. Unfortunately it is now a three piece rod, and it was previously just a 2-piece rod.

How it got to where it was is a mystery. It was tangled up in a tree I dropped in the pond a couple of years ago -- about 50 feet from my dock. I hooked a medium size BG near this brush pile. It went deep and I thought it got tangled in the old tree. As I started to try and free my line, I noticed I had hooked my flyrod. Before I could free it, I snapped off the top 12 inches, or so. I retrieved it too. Not sure if it is worth repairing.

At least it wasn't my old memory - if I correctly remember.

In my case it would sound like my wife got ticked and broke the flyrod and threw it in the pond!

Last edited by spinnerbait; 07/13/12 05:09 PM.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I always find something that I was previously looking for, when I am looking for something else.

Happens all the time! --- If it was a Snake, It would have bit me shocked

Just remember, It will always be in the last place you look wink grin

Last edited by JKB; 07/14/12 08:12 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O.K. Ken, if you cut the popper off of the line when you tossed the BG away, then what happened? Did you retrieve all the line along with the fly rod? Did whoever borrow it tie another hook on the end?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oooh Boy! Where do I start?

This thread, and this episode are all good/bad news. As crazy as my life is, this has been kind of fun.

I don't believe any foul play was involved. I still don't know how my fly rod ended up in that end of the pond. All I can figure is that we got an afternoon storm that blew it off the dock.

One of the good/bad things is my laziness. Earlier, while I was fishing with the fly rod and a popper, I lost everything to a monster tree bass that grabbed my popper while it was in mid-air, probably at least 20-30 feet above water level. The tree bass was huge. Probably at least 60 inches in girth, and at least 50 feet tall!

When I regained my composure, I was down to no tippet and no leader - just fly line and backing on my old cheapo reel. I grabbed about six feet of 4 lb., line from my ultralight. I tied it to the end of my fly line with an Ugly-Knot. The Ugly-Knot was big enough to not go through the end eye on my fly rod. The part of my flyrod rod I hooked was two eyes back from the end. That is where it broke.

I probably can fix it, but instead I bought a new 5-6 weight, 8-1/2 foot rod this afternoon.

I'm old enough to finally believe that suspecting that my misfortunes (misadventures??) might be due to something other than my own doing, is not not wise!

However, the tree bass that ate my popper and leader may just become victim to one of my old Scandinavian friends -- Mr. Husqvarna!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, when that tree comes down, try and count the rings. What type of tree?

I had to cut up a large Red Oak that was killed by soil compaction and dirt piled up on the roots (not my place). A bad storm blew thru here on June 29th and there's between 100 and 200 trees that came down on this property, or were damaged in such a way that they have to come down (tops twisted or broke out of the tree) Whole trees in the middle of the woods were tipped over and there is a line that is cleared in the woods about 50 yds wide and it goes for close to 1,000 yds (or more, as I didn't walk on the neighbors property). The local paper said straight line winds, but why are trees pointed at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00?

Anyway, this Red Oak was 28" at the base, and 31' up where it broke off, it measures 23". I counted the rings near the base and I came up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 110. I wouldn't be suprised if it was 20-30 years older. I looked at my log weight chart and it weighed 215# per lineal foot. What size Husky and what size bar?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
J
This is a great thread that I understand completely. Like Liquidsquid I have two sets of lots of things I forget I had, then I buy another one. When I am building a project I spend more time looking for tools I laid down someplace then the time working on the project. How many times have I looked for my glasses or hat and my wife would bend over laughing because I was wearing them. Something real funny happened to me a few weeks ago that I wanted to write here but I couldn't remember what it was, so I ask my wife what it was and she couldn't remember either. My cat take a lot of abuse. I let her explore a closet or room, then forget she is in there and close her in until the next day when I hear her scratching. But the worse thing is many nights while asleep I dream I lost my parked car and am running all over town trying to find it. I wake up the next morning tired.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
This is a great thread that I understand completely. Like Liquidsquid I have two sets of lots of things I forget I had, then I buy another one. When I am building a project I spend more time looking for tools I laid down someplace then the time working on the project.

Ain't that the truth. Since I semi-retired I've been doing a lot of projects and a lot of cleaning/organizing/throwing out. I added a kitchen in the basement, which required running copper gas lines. I've got three sets of cutting/flaring tools. While I was looking for them, I found three of the rollers used to put screen into windows.

The worse thing is when I lose a tool and then sit down and try to figure out where I might have left it -- and it is in my back pocket.

Scott, as for the trees here. Most of the big ones go back to the late 1920s and early 1930s. The area where I live is known as Timber Ridge. It was almost 100% chestnut at one time. When all the chestnut died, oak became dominant. About half our oak is chestnut oak, the rest is a mix of white oak and red oak.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails