Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the advice.. I figured If it sinks I can hit it with the granular killing it more efficiently.. I read through the forum and the granular seems to sink and make a cloud killing all in the cloud.

My question about the rain though... Once the C+ has made contact with the FA will it continue to work after the FA sinks due to rain?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's my understanding that the Cutrine Plus works for 14 days if it's a strong enough concentration to affect the algae.

I may overdose my pond when I apply it to the floating mats, but I don't apply it to a large area, I'd say I hit about 200' of shoreline when the FA mats were about 5'-10' wide. I used a 2.5 gallon sprayer and sprayed enough so the FA was about 50% blue. I could see blue streamers in the open areas between the mats of FA. I didn't actually measure what I poured into the sprayer, I guessed at about 3/4 gallon, and filled it to the brim with water, leaving enough air space to insert the pump without overflowing. In the whole pond scheme of things, the dosage wasn't significant as I had no problems with the trout in the pond. But, then again, the area that was treated wasn't visited by the trout.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think it's working.. Most seems to be turning to a darker shade. Anyone know if that's the common procedure.. Real light bright green, too a bleaching kinda action, then a darker brown/green.. Does it sink when it's dead??

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mine goes from bright greed to white/tan to gone in 2-3 days.

That's what is good about chelated copper products, they work over a period of days where copper sulphate works only one day.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well I know that ain't happening it's still here..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

D
D
Water alkalinity?
Soil pH?
Species of FA?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Don't know
Don't know
Filamentous algae

The FA just got ahead of me now my waters crystal clear and it's gonna be hard to get a hold on it.. I might try another round of cutrine at double strength..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

D
D
I would recommend finding the answers to the three questions I posed before applying more Cutrine Plus.

If your alkalinity is too low, the copper is neutralized and doing no good. There are also several species of filamentous algae that Cutrine Plus simply won't touch. Look for the the root of the problems rather than treating symptoms.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Dan,
I have been trying to identify the species of FA I am having problems eradicating this season. I had the County agent take a look and take pictures and he could not properly identify it. I sent a sample to marine biologist Dr. Wes Neal at Miss. State and he said he wasn't sure but "could be" some sort of pithophora.

Question is... do you have a suggestion on accurately identifying the FA species?

That said, I have been treating the bottom FA with Cutrine+ granules at the suggestion of Dr. Neal and others on this site which seems to be working but only after 2+ applications. I just treated some of the floating stuff with liquid this past weekend so the "jury is still out" on that.

Thanks,
Dan

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Post good pics of what you have.

djstauder #298943 07/11/12 01:04 PM
D
D
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Dan,
I have been trying to identify the species of FA I am having problems eradicating this season. I had the County agent take a look and take pictures and he could not properly identify it. I sent a sample to marine biologist Dr. Wes Neal at Miss. State and he said he wasn't sure but "could be" some sort of pithophora.

Question is... do you have a suggestion on accurately identifying the FA species?

That said, I have been treating the bottom FA with Cutrine+ granules at the suggestion of Dr. Neal and others on this site which seems to be working but only after 2+ applications. I just treated some of the floating stuff with liquid this past weekend so the "jury is still out" on that.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,
To positively identify FA to species lab analysis is always an option. There are fees associated with it but you will generally have an answer in about 10 days. If you have some good pictures that would be a starting point. I can circulate among a few folks if you would like to email them to me (dan@deltawildlife.org). If you are dealing with pithophora then I would add diquat to the mix or switch to a different algaecide that is labeled for pithophora.
Let me know if I can help.
Dan

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Look at the end of the linked archive thread wrt pithophora. This is why I suggest the archives be checked.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post122999

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
ewest,

I am an ardent archive researcher. I realize it is time-consuming for you guys to answer the same questions twice (or possibly 10000 times) so I try to get the information from others posts. I've done two archive researches recently; one was to research aeration for which I went back over 5 years worth of posts and the other was to research fish cage building which led me to ordering 2 back issues of PB magazine.

As for the FA, I read that specific thread you mention but did not take the control steps indicated because I never did get a definite that it was pithophora.

Thanks, again, for all your help!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DJS I wish everyone researched like you. I know that searches on the vol of info here is hard to sift through. When I refer to archives I mean the FAQ - Common Pond Q&A (archives) only ( http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1 ) not a manual search with the search function. A good part of the FAQ archive is that they are a compilation of other threads on topics of interest (so we don't have to do a manual search). It is just a good quick way to start.

I (we) don't mind answering questions as they are what keep the forum active and fun . Often it is easier to ask a question rather than look through 1000s of threads for answers that might not be there (that is why we started the archives ) - Common Pond Q&A (archives).

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Well, I hadn't paid much attention to that FAQ-Common Pond Q&A but I will from now on because it seems less intense than going through entire forum areas. THX

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Any suggestions on how to make things easier and more valuable are always appreciated. User friendly is our goal !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?