Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Jward87), 716 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#298796 07/10/12 10:24 AM
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
When a pond is said to have excessive nutrients, specifically phosphors, where are they located in a pond. Disolved throughout the entire water column, concentrated at the bottom, or a combination.

M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Been doing some reading...forget the first question. Boy did it show how little I know!!!!

I'm trying to design a way to use duckweed an a controlled location to up take the excess P in my pond then pump out the duckweed every 10-20 days to remove the P from the pond. Anybody ever tried anything like this?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds like a potentially horrible experiment.. Good luck smile

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: mnfish
I'm trying to design a way to use duckweed an a controlled location to up take the excess P in my pond then pump out the duckweed every 10-20 days to remove the P from the pond. Anybody ever tried anything like this?

We have not done it, but we've looked at something similar. I volunteer at an aquaculture research center. One of the ideas this year was to see if we could use tilapia to eat the duckweed, and then harvest the tailapia.

Unfortunately, the pond where we wanted to do this remains way too cold for tilapia. The pond is great for trout -- and duckweed.

Your pond may warm up a little more that our spring-fed pond. Secondly, I'm not sure if tilapia would be allowed in Minnesota. However, it maybe something to consider.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I love the potentialy horrible experiment outcome line, bluegill!

Your right Ken...Tilapia would be a no no here in Mn. Neat idea with the fish "eating" the excess P. One thing is for sure my ponds get warm and are very fertile.

I was just thinking maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Less algae in my ponds and "free" fertilizer for my deer and turkey food plots. Not to mention the reduction of chemicals used in my ponds.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The other thought -- pump the duckweed out. I recently bought a 2-inch semi-trash pump. The pump was about $225, and the hoses and fittings were about another $175. I does a lot more than I had ever hoped for.

I believe it would efficiently pump duckweed or watermeal out of a pond by the ton.

Now that I see how well it works, I plan to use it to suck several inches of muck out of my 0.7 acre pond, and blow the water/muck onto about a half-acre area I plan to use for vegetables next year.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
It's funny that you mention that about the trash pump. Rented one last weekend and have decided that is a tool I need for my ponds. Like you, I was very impressed on what it could do. I used a 4" trash pump and man could that thing push water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How do you ensure that the duckweed seeds stay where the duckweed is and not spread in the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
Originally Posted By: mnfish
I love the potentialy horrible experiment outcome line, bluegill!

Your right Ken...Tilapia would be a no no here in Mn. Neat idea with the fish "eating" the excess P. One thing is for sure my ponds get warm and are very fertile.

I was just thinking maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Less algae in my ponds and "free" fertilizer for my deer and turkey food plots. Not to mention the reduction of chemicals used in my ponds.

Diatom based Periphyton will remove the P and feed your fish. Fillet the fish, soak the guts/heads etc. in water and spray on fields. Add enough surface area and start fishing.

M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Esssup - not sure yet how to control the location. Open to any ideas though! One of my ponds has duckweed in it already and I have been removing and chemically killing it as soon as it gets started. I am thinking about letting the duckweed grow across the pond then mechanically removing it and observing how much FA growth I have. If a significant reduction in FA occurs then see if I can control the DW or use another plant like wild rice to create a bio-filter.

Peepaw- sorry for my ignorance but what is Diatom based Periphyton?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DW is a most difficult plant to deal with. There are a number of threads here on the subject. Pumping the pond dry or removing just the surface plants alone is not the answer. See below.

Reproduces by seed and vegetatively, though during the growing season, nearly all plants arise by vegetative reproduction.
Unlike the ordinary leaves of most plants, each duckweed frond contains buds from which more fronds may grow. These buds are hidden in pouches along the center axis of older fronds. As they grow, new fronds emerge through slits in the side of their parent fronds. Until they mature, daughter fronds may remain attached to the parent frond. Rapidly growing plants often have three or four attached fronds

budding pouches produce smaller, rootless, dark green or brownish daughter plants called turions. These dense, dormant, starch filled structures settle to the bottom to overwinter.

When the water clears (top DW layer removed) the turions float to the surface and start growing. DW can live out of water for long periods of time and some species can double in volume every 24 hours.

Last edited by ewest; 07/11/12 01:19 PM.

ewest #298963 07/11/12 03:31 PM
M
mnfish Offline OP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Thank you for the info on DW. Another bad idea on my part

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FWIW, my fish food supplier had a summerkill in their pond last week. Roughly 1,000 fish is what they said. LMB, CC and BG. Turns out that they normally have "some" DW on the pond, but since this summer has been so hot and dry, it's exploded, and it covered most of the pond. No aeration..............

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not a bad idea to remove the DW on top or draw down a pond to get most out. But those efforts will not alone result in a long term success. My approach is if you are going to go after DW it is all out war. Use every tool and tactic you have and be prepared to stay after it for a sustained period.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM