Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Loren, I've never heard of plecostomus being wild or native in Texas. Can you provide info on that?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've seen them in aquariums never in ponds.. And they're not native if there invasive correct?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I bet plecos would get big in a pon like many aquarium fish do.

I am not sure about Texas since I have not spent much time there. I remember seeing them in a canal next to the Zoo in San Antonio way back in 1969 when I was in basic training there. I have read about them being in Texas. Florida is full of them and I figured there must be 6 different types scattered throughout the south including Mexico. I did a study on them once because the Florida people thought they were invasive. I figured they came in water tanks on early ships but discovered that none of them were the same as South American types. Therefore I deduced that they were in fact wild in Florida and throughout the south. Just never classified as wild fish. Most will get between 1 ft and 2 ft long. They like to dig into banks and under rocks for a nest. We spent many a day hunting for Pleco balls on the Florida canals to hatch out on the fish farms $5.00 each ball.

Loren E Willis II
Here are some links for Paddlefish if you are interested:
http://www.paddlefishfarming.com/ Talk to Steve Mims, nice guy
http://www.osagecatfisheries.com/ OK guys but tight
http://aquacultureofkentucky.com/ Super nice old man not sure about fish
There are a few more but you can probably find some through KY university and Mims. The only time you can get them is in May when they hatch. You will need a 15 ft pool to raise them in to 1 to 2 ft. They will eat flake food and pellets as long as it floats.

Loren E Willis II
K
K
Is this the same as spoonbill catfish?

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
yes. The correct name is paddlefish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
There used to be a guy on Ky. Lake that caught a ton of them on a unbaited trotline. He dipped the hooks in some kind of secret oil.

Not hardly, do you believe every thing anyone says? The fish will avoid any steel at all cost. It messes with their sensory units in their head. He must have been netting them or it was just a big fish story.

Loren E Willis II
K
K
I saw them being caught on Ky. Afield. It dates back to the late sixties or early seventies. It was the first time I ever saw one. I believe very little what people tell me but you seem to be an exceptional person so I think you could research this on the internet and find out it is true.

K
K
Loren, I am pretty lame on puter as I started using one in 2011 while I was sitting around doing chemno. Check a video on internet by JMMAC 32, it looks like a spoonbill on a trotline to me. I found it by punching in spoonbill catfish on Ky. Afield. It could have been blind,sick or just a dumb country hick that didn't know what it was supposed to do. Well I am off to kill some crappie.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Loren Willis
Not hardly, do you believe every thing anyone says? The fish will avoid any steel at all cost. It messes with their sensory units in their head.

Are you specifically talking only about spoonbills, or other fish as well?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Well Kenc, I guess you were right about the trot line. Stranger things have happened. Kill a crappie for me.

Loren E Willis II
K
K
Loren, on the same page there is a fishing regulation for commerical fishermen for Nov. 2008. They have to pay 500$ to collect paddlefish and the method they can use( only method listed) was a trotline. The reason I don't believe hardly anything I am told is that I am a landlord. Some people have buried their parents several times and couldn't pay their rent. After they bury their father over three times in a year, I kick them out. They can bury their mother as many times as needed. On a brighter note, it was a cold,raw day but we did eke out 31 croppie. Take care and good luck to you.

Kenc: I can certainly understand what you are saying about the renters, I do maintenance on rental property from time to time. As for the Fish and Game, I have a problem with their stupidity and have come to expect such things. Sounds like you made a killing on the crappies.
When you get a chance, please check out my new invention. I can stand to get some criticism since nobody around here has the slightest idea about what I am trying to do. [b]Bob deleted the website link for now...Loren, rather than put in the link, take a few minutes and explain what you are trying to invent, how it works and how it benefits pond owners.[/b]
I think it is finally starting to settle into my 2 sons. cool [/i]

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 03/08/13 09:00 AM.

Loren E Willis II
K
K
Loren, I hope you do well with your product. We have no electricity at our farm so we won't be able to try one out. I didn't understand your comment about F&G. They tax users to collect products. Spoonbill catfishing is a good moneymaker for fishermen in Ky. Lake. I have personally seen videos of people catching lots of them on trotlines on Ky. AField. You may need to work on your bedside manner a tad. You need to have a product that people need and if they don't have the "slightest idea" about the product they will not try it. I hope you do well with your business, as I have laid awake many times trying to have some idea on how to pay my bills. This is the curse of self-employment so I have empathy for anyone trying to make it on your own. Good luck.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...