Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,107
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 739 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Not sure if this has ever been asked but I was wondering if there is a type of fish hook one could use to better there chances of fish not swallowing the hook? As my Blue's and Reds get bigger this seems to becoming a problem every now and again. Can anyone recommend a certain type of hook that will work best and or a certain type of fish hook extractor that works well?

thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
R
One thing I'm doing to better their chances is mashing down the barbs on the hooks. For removal when they swallow it, I use a pair of micro needle nose pliers from Craftsman.

The real secret is the barbless hook.

-RFL

M
M
I use barbless circle hooks for any catch and release bluegill fishing in my pond. You might have to go to bass pro or cabelas to find them, ive had trouble locating circle hooks at walmart.

1.4 acre pond, bass and bluegill, NC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Our good Pond Boss friend Sunil is the real expert when it comes to removing hooks without hurting the fish. He uses these Berkeley Hook Degorgers:

I've tried them a number of times in the last 50 years with limited success, yet Sunil can remove a deeply swallowed hook (serious gut-hook) in well less than a second, without injuring the fish. He's given me lessons a number of times, but I apparently just don't have the dexterity he has.

Maybe the next time we're fishing together I can make a short video of his technique.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
If you're fishing with youngsters not quick on the hookset and fishing with live bait you're looking at a high mortality rate for BGs. I too recommend circle hooks for kids BG fishing. You can buy circle hooks of any size [14 on down] from Cabelas, and maybe BPS too. I remember it wasn't easy finding them on the online catalog, so I'd just call and make the customer service rep look them up for you. Crimping down the barb on them makes them even easier on the BG, which can be easily performed with file, needle nose pliers, hemostats, etc.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey thanks everyone. I was wondering what that red dehooker was called. Thanks. I need one of those things.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm partial to a small set of slightly curved hemostats. But then again I rarely deal with deep hooked fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Jigs are a great option as well. With such small mouths, you find the right jig size and you'll rarely have a gut hooked BG.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I too like the circle hooks. A pair of needlenose or hemostats & a slight twist of the wrist & they fall of the hook back into the water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wasn't sure where the best place was to post this. I've been at home today doing painting, carpet cleaning, etc., -- all of which includes waiting. I used the waiting time to try several experiments.

I took a small (#6, 1/16 oz) jighead down to the pond with some of my redworms, using my ultralight rod/reel with 4# test line. I'd cast it out and let it settle. I let it really start running quite some distance before setting the hook -- kind of what the little kids do. I got 12 bluegill and all were lip hooked. Then something ferocious grabbed it. I think it was probably one of the HSB. It stole the jig and worm from the end of the line before the reel could even think about releasing some line with the light-set drag.

But, as Scott (ESSHUP) suggested, jigheads don't seem to get gut hooked!

Now what to do with 12 small bluegill? None were huge -- they ranged from about 4 to 7 inches.

It was lunchtime. I scaled, gutted, and beheaded them. They provided a pint-and-a-half of pressure cooked euphoria. The half-pint is already gone. I expect the pint will be gone by noon tomorrow.

No water. A tablespoon of vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of pickling salt in a pint jar, and 90 minutes in the pressure cooker. Ooooh, that's some good eatn'!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Crimping down the barb on them makes them even easier on the BG, which can be easily performed with file, needle nose pliers, hemostats, etc.

TJ....do you lose a lot of fish without the barb or do
they stay on the line pretty good even without the barb?

Also anyone suggest a top quality light spin-cast reel?
It seems to me most of the light spincast reels are junk.
And being a southern boy I just can't get used to a spinning reel.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, it wasn't me that suggested the jigs.

Zep, I don't think you'll find a spin cast that is the quality of even a middle of the road spinning or bait casting reel.

Mo practice!

I learned to baitcast after fishing with spinning reels for 25 years. And, the baitcasters that I learned on didn't have a level wind option - I had to use my thumb to make the line lay level on the reel. If I can learn how to do that, I'll bet you can learn how to use a spinning reel. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I've got 3 of the same ultra-light rod/reel combo at Academy made by Pflueger. The combo costs about $40 if I remember correctly. The rods are a little "whippy" but that makes fighting bluegills fun. IMO the reels are excellent.

I can get a model number this weekend if you are interested.

esshup,
I also would rather a bait caster but is there such a thing as ultra-light bait casters for 4# line?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never seen mini-baitcasters like the mini-spinning reels. I've read that baitcasters will cast further than spinning reels because the spool is revolving, creating less drag on the line as it comes off the reel.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
Zep, I don't think you'll find a spin cast that is the quality of even a middle of the road spinning or bait casting reel.
I'll bet you can learn how to use a spinning reel. wink

esshup I love and have used baitcaster reels since I was about 8 years old. I'll never forget the joy on Christmas morning when I got my first Abu Garcia 5000C! But now I am looking for something light for the panfish. I have tried spinning reels several times and decided they are just not for me. They offer so many what look like quality spinning reels I suppose I could try again.

Originally Posted By: djstauder
I've got 3 of the same ultra-light rod/reel combo at Academy made by Pflueger. IMO the reels are excellent. I can get a model number this weekend if you are interested.

Sounds interesting dj. Yeah I'd like to see the model number. I found this one last night on Bass Pro Shops. It's quite pricey but gets unGodly reviews as the best thing since sliced bread. Check out the reviews at the bottom of the page.

Zebco Omega Pro @ BassProShops

ps: looks like they are on e-bay cheaper/no shipping/no tax

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Crimping down the barb on them makes them even easier on the BG, which can be easily performed with file, needle nose pliers, hemostats, etc.

TJ....do you lose a lot of fish without the barb or do
they stay on the line pretty good even without the barb?

Also anyone suggest a top quality light spin-cast reel?
It seems to me most of the light spincast reels are junk.
And being a southern boy I just can't get used to a spinning reel.

Keeping pressure on the fish and circle barbless should work. If you have kids and are leaving rods unattended or they are missing strikes then a barb on the circle can help and still will result in easy release. Nothing ruins a trips with youngsters than trying to disgorge a deeply hooked fish bleeding from it's gills....usually results in tears some psychological impact. Yet, it's hard to justify clipping all those hooks and rigging up over and over again though...so my bet is to fish circles for kids/panfish.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B

Originally asked by Zep: TJ....do you lose a lot of fish without the barb or do
they stay on the line pretty good even without the barb? [/quote]

I use barbless hooks on bluegill (and bass when fising with plastic worms) and don't experience a lot of lost fish. The key is to keep pressure on the fish at all times, no slack lines

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
O
O
I use a long shank barbless so that way if the hook is deep i can get to it with out gagging the fish with the needle nose. Also the finer diameter will not stay with the fish as long if you do decide not to remove the hook.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken, it wasn't me that suggested the jigs.

Wonder who it was then? whistle grin

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I took a small (#6, 1/16 oz) jighead down to the pond with some of my redworms, using my ultralight rod/reel with 4# test line. I'd cast it out and let it settle. I let it really start running quite some distance before setting the hook -- kind of what the little kids do. I got 12 bluegill and all were lip hooked.

But, as Scott (ESSHUP) suggested, jigheads don't seem to get gut hooked!

I concur. I do a lot of youth fishing clinics and bring a box of small jigs to replace the normal bait hooks I usually find on the end of the kids' lines. Rarely do we come across the traumatic experience that TJ speaks of due to gut hooked fish. And it gives a kid something to hold onto for a photo too. Also, if fishing for "any fish" with kids, you don't need ice to fish wax worms. Bluegill love them year 'round.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
so do you use a bobber with a small jig and worm i guess? or just the jig

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: RC51
so do you use a bobber with a small jig and worm i guess? or just the jig

Depends. wink

Usually use a bobber, since most of the kids I have worked with are very awkward with a fishing rod, not having ever used one. And no bobber can mean snags for a kid who doesn't know how fast to retrieve. I go with a slip bobber when I can, but larger groups of kids makes that difficult sometimes.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Zep,
My bad... I did not realize a "spin-cast" reel wasn't the same as a "spinning" reel. In my area, we call spin-cast reels "closed face spinning reels."

Mine are spinning reels similar to this one:

http://www.basspro.com/Pfluegerreg;-Trionreg;-GX-7-Spinning-Reel/product/58697/40031?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I have a few cheap spin-cast reels but do not use them much because sometimes the line will get wound up under the line spool and I have to take it apart to get the line loose.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks guys....I will try barbless hooks.

djstauder gotcha.

i went ahead and bought the Zebco Omega spincast on e-bay yesterday.

i'll let ya know how it works.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Zep, try one of these for LMB and see how you like them. It'll take some getting used to!!

That is about the smallest one that I have, my largest one is a Penn International 2-speed. I can cast a 3# Mackerel with it, but it's not something that I'd like to do all day long. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails