Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
ShelJav Offline OP
OP Offline
S
we have a 40'x80' oval pond, average depth 10' (6'at one end & prob 15' at other). No shade for pond, no spring running in either. We lost 50 speckled trout 2 yrs ago due to water temp too high. This spring we put in 25 rainbow trout, it's been sunny and not much rain. Pond level down approx 1 ft already & not even July. I've been reading about pond dyes to block UV but do the help for temp too ? Also, considering a homemade floating structure (cheap redneck style) to make shade in pond. Any suggestions ??

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't have an answer for you, but I can relate what I noticed in my pond. I don't use dye. Where there was floating Algae, the water temp under that algae was markedly higher, almost like bath water.

Can you put up something to shade the water but not floating on the water surface?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If you are serious about keeping trout year around like I do, you need to run a well into the pond. (I believe they are referred to as boreholes in Canada?)

My pond is about the same size as yours 55 X 88 X 8 or 9 feet deep and I run 45 gpm into it 24/7. Temps never get above the low 60's F. even during air temps of 90's F.

I have heard of floating the denser sheets of the blue or pink foam around the edges of small trout ponds. I wouldn't use the white foam as it breaks down to easily.

If I did this I'd run some nylon rope over them from shore to shore using stakes to keep a strong wind from picking them up. At least I think that could be a problem with a big gust from a thunderstorm or something. Maybe not?

Honestly don't know if a dye would have an effect on temps.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/21/12 08:10 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

L
L
Two things occur to me:

Putting foam over the top will insulate at night, keeping heat in, just will prevent high heat peaks during the day.
Putting foam over top will prevent oxygen exchange, and in warmer waters this is important.

The well option would be an expensive, yet effective way of dealing with it, but well water is low in O2 so you will need to aerate also.
Otherwise foam during the day, off at night but requires manual labor.

A possibility would be to put larger foam sheets suspended a few inches from the surface of the water to keep direct sun off but let air underneath. Evaporation will keep things around the dew point. Perhaps old jugs in the corners of the sheets? Then you have the problem of keeping them in the pond when windy.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Shade Cloth?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Two things occur to me:

Putting foam over the top will insulate at night, keeping heat in, just will prevent high heat peaks during the day.
Putting foam over top will prevent oxygen exchange, and in warmer waters this is important.

The foam sheeting doesn't cover the entire pond, just the shallowest edges of the pond so insulation is not an issue IMHO. Same goes for lack of oxygen exchange.

The well option would be an expensive, yet effective way of dealing with it, but well water is low in O2 so you will need to aerate also.

Not difficult to do. Just splashing onto a surface via gravity will go a long ways to increase saturation and blow off any harmful gases. I used to use media filled buckets, but in retrospect believe that was overkill for a 1/10th acre pond. Raceway yes. Pond no.

Otherwise foam during the day, off at night but requires manual labor.

Not necessary to remove during the night IMHO. See above.

A possibility would be to put larger foam sheets suspended a few inches from the surface of the water to keep direct sun off but let air underneath. Evaporation will keep things around the dew point. Perhaps old jugs in the corners of the sheets? Then you have the problem of keeping them in the pond when windy.

Good thinking but IMHO I think you're making it too complicated. grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Shade Cloth?

An option. However even with the highest density shade cloth it's amazing how much sunlight gets through. I have the highest density of shade cloth on a window in a double layer in my basement where I have one of my RAS tanks. During the time of day when the window gets direct sunlight there is enough significant sunlight on one portion of the tank that the fish actually totally avoid that area.

It is an option though although I tried it on the shallow end of one of my ponds and was disappointed it didn't seem to lower temps any.

I know a well is expensive for some, but if one is serious about having trout year around it's the best option. Sometimes you get lucky and have enough of a confined layer in your geology to have an artesian well. Or if your aquifer is fairly shallow you won't need to pump as far. I've heard of some wells that were shallow enough that one can use a more economical surface pump. There is ground about 10 miles from me according to a well report where the aquifer is only 2 feet below the surface!

Perhaps ShelJay with you being so far north in lattitude you won't need to pump 24/7 in the summer or the option of the foam board along the edges of the pond or the shade cloth will be enough for you. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/21/12 05:37 PM.

L
L
Wow Cecil what fish!

I was picturing at least 50% coverage of screen to make any real difference, so I was not picturing just the edges. I know the entire surface of my pond down to at least a foot is around 90 right now, but about 7-8 feet down it is in the low 60's at the most. Of course this weather is very unusual. It however is giving me a good idea what I can expect and what fish I can put in with success.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just keeping the edges from warming up if you have good steep drop offs can make a world of difference especially as in my case augmented by a well. However this has to be done BEFORE the water warms up significantly.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images