Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver, Dux96, cgmbny
18,523 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,001
Posts558,389
Members18,524
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,593
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
9 members (Knobber, Sunil, Augie, canyoncreek, Brian from Texas, BamaBass9, Stressless, FishinRod, Boondoggle), 1,066 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Cecil, in my best local pond, I've measured mutiple 10.5 to 10.75 inch bluegills, but I cannot get an honest 11 incher on the measuring board (both by angling and from our class sampling). Grrr. :-)

Dave,

I'm convinced that 99.9 percent of the so called 11 inchers that anglers measure are not measured with a board and would measure under 11 inches on a board.

A true 11 inch northern bluegill IMHO is very rare.

Sooo true.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Only two lakes I have caught 11" plus northern BG out of. Both have produced BG over 2 pounds and one has produced BG over 3 pounds. However, they are colder water lakes with trout and northern pike but have good forage for BG meaning, shorter growing season but good growth rates and the BG live a LONG time...

Agreed! there is a lot to be said for longevity!

Here's a picture of a large bluegill out of my favorite lake in Massachusetts I used to fish as a kid. A friend on the Internet sent it to me a few days ago.

The lake is kettle lake that is 35 acres and 55 feet deep. Most of it drops off like a rock and it's not especially fertile with a clarity of probably 20 or 25 feet. It has really large zooplankton that the trout in the lake cram themselves with. I have no doubt the bluegills do too. Slow growing long lived bluegills.

The friend spoke to me how frustrated was to only catch one of the really large fish he believes are in the 11 inch range and the largest he's seen in several years. He says you can visually see the fish but can't get them to hit anything - nitecrawlers - flies or anything. Personally I think it's a combination of water clarity and the big bluegills feed on large zooplankton. And as we all know large trophy fish aren't that way because the are gullible.

I'd love to take the boat out there in a couple of weeks but probably won't be able to get the funds together. Most people don't fish for bluegills out there as they consider them trash fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/01/12 06:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This fish taken out of Lake Michigan last year on a downrigger was estimated to be a couple hundred years old! wink

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/01/12 06:34 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
LMAO!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
If he had only held it out to the camera it really would have looked big.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That is the rare Great Lakes subspecies of BG...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Lepomis macrochirus gianticus!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bing
If he had only held it out to the camera it really would have looked big.

Some have not that the honor of being educated in camera techiques by Dr. Condello. grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Beautiful fish Cecil, very impressive!!

I do have one teeny, lighthearted criticism though.......a couple of pros like Cecil and Scott get together to procure some fish, and there's no photos with a BG on the scale? wink laugh

The SMB and YP get all the glory.... grin

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yeah, we measured a few BG, but didn't take pics. Didn't weigh any of them either, although a scale was at pond side.....

Cecil did put one BG on the tape, and it did hit 10", but it immediately went back into the pond.

If the weather is O.K. when he seines the pond, I'll try like heck to get him to hold the fish while I take pictures and weigh a few.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah I think we can arrange that Scott especially since I've got taxidermists chomping at the bits to buy some 10 inch fish in good condition. I'm pretty sure the parasite irritation will be healed up then too.

I think you could have heard the sigh all the way to the west coast from taxidermists on a taxidermy website when I told them I didn't come up with what they wanted this year.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, they are there, and I'll bet we could catch some by angling once the spawning stress is gone. But, the mark from the hook might be objectionable.

Have your circular tanks set up, I'll bring the hauling tank. We could probably sort out some fish to sell when seined. I'll make sure to bring Mikey - 6 hands are better than 2.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
O
Those are awesome yp guys......Those would make a beatiful mount especially with a ten to twelve pound walleye chasing them.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Talk to Cecil! If you furnish the 'eye, I'll bet he'd furnish the YP. Here's a SMB that he did for me.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'll see if I can catch an 11" (BG) tonight for you guys.. Been wanting to bg fish lately anyways but the winds been strong seems like everyday.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's one that's pretty close just a pic I had on my phone.. I ate this fish he completely engulfed a small crankbait

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 06/12/12 06:06 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, they are there, and I'll bet we could catch some by angling once the spawning stress is gone. But, the mark from the hook might be objectionable.

Hook damage is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: esshup
Have your circular tanks set up, I'll bring the hauling tank. We could probably sort out some fish to sell when seined. I'll make sure to bring Mikey - 6 hands are better than 2.

I just hope I have enough tanks to do the job. Two of my biggest ones will be farmed out to high schools and I hope to have four 200 gallon tanks in the basement in operation by then. I do have that big 800 gallon blue one though. We can move fish with the tank I the trailer I suppose.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Here's one that's pretty close just a pic I had on my phone.. I ate this fish he completely engulfed a small crankbait

Wow that's a big one!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That fish was caught early last year before I started feeding.. I've caught multiple bigger than him but the one pictured seemed to have a longer tail than normal.. Should be able to do some good tonight.. Cecil would you be interested in larger fish for cast or anything?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bluegillkiller,

Thanks for the offer but I don't do custom casts.

Save 'em till they get to that magical 11 inches!

Any idea how much that fish weighed and how old it was?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/12/12 10:59 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Figured I'd offer, I know there's another taxidermist on a fish site who offers a free mount for BG over 11"..

No idea on fishes age weight was over a pound at 548 grams 1lb 4oz roughly.. The pond is 30 yrs old and had no management until beginning of last year.. So not really sure about fish ages..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

O
O
Cecil that is a beatiful job on that smallmouth. Very very nice paint job. Esshup what are the stats on that fish. Did you catch him from your pond?

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I caught the fish the 2nd week in September in a Northern Wi. lake. It was a square SMB. 19" long and 19" around. I thought it weighed 6# when I caught it, but after a year plus in the freezer Cecil weighed it at less than that.

The lake was invaded by Rusty Crayfish and the SMB fishing exploded. Even the locals are pretty tight lipped about it, I only know about it because a friend has a house on the lake and we use it as our base to deer hunt from.

My buddy wanted to go Musky fishing, so we threw lures for a couple of hours without even a follow. I decided to throw a Manns -1 and lost 5 or 6 before getting the hooks to stick in this one. I swear that I could look up at the fish from the boat - they seemed to be jumping that high.

That evening right after sunset, the Northern Lights danced for about an hour and a half - that was the best show that I've seen them put on. Rare for that early in the year.

I had a larger one follow the lure to the pier in front of the house, but I couldn't get it to hit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ozarkstriperscom
Cecil that is a beatiful job on that smallmouth. Very very nice paint job. Esshup what are the stats on that fish. Did you catch him from your pond?

Thanks but the picture doesn't do it justice for some reason. It looks different in person to my eyes.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, it might be the bright sunlight that it was in for the picture.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gehajake, George Moss, helpmypond
Recent Posts
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Very sandy soil
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:40 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:32 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:30 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/10/24 01:56 AM
My First
by esshup - 05/09/24 03:55 PM
How much feed?