Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,942
Members18,498
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Theo Gallus, Sunil, DrLuke, Kanon M, catscratch, John Folchetti, BackyardKoi), 908 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm dealing with the worst allergy reactions to grass pollen this year than ever before. Anyone else?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/30/12 02:41 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My allergies were awful earlier this year with the tree pollen. I noticed last week when I was at my hunting property in PA I was walking my mountain roads which are planted in orchard grass I was sneezing my brains out. The grass was dropping pollen like crazy...

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
I have dealt with allergies all my life. Try allegra over the counter, only thing that works for me. Allergra D during the month of may. Secret for me was take it early AM BEFORE symptoms start on an empty stomach. Good luck.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I was just thinking to myself the other day, this has been one of the best years for my allergies, still have bad days but not like some years where it's everyday..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: spinnerbait
I have dealt with allergies all my life. Try allegra over the counter, only thing that works for me. Allergra D during the month of may. Secret for me was take it early AM BEFORE symptoms start on an empty stomach. Good luck.

That one doesn't work for me anymore. LOL I've used just about everyone there is now. I too have been dealing with allergies all my life. Even used to get injections to build up a tolerance. I had to stop, as even though this particular doctor's office was only 5 minutes away, it was usually an hour or two ordeal to get the shot so it wasn't conducive to running a business when you were the only one there.

I'm thinking if we can get rain here to clear the air I'll be good. If I drive 20 minutes from here to the school where my wife teaches where they have had rain I'm much better.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/30/12 06:15 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My allergies seem to be off the hook this year as opposed to previous years when I had no problems.

I'll have sneezing fits, like sneezing 10-20 times.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
S
I don't know. Sometimes I take to a spell of sneezing and will sneeze a dozen times right in row, and sometimes I wake up and I'm stuffed up, but I've never been able to narrow it down as an allergy. Probably is.
Wife and I recently moved from Oklahoma to Ohio though and I'm not nearly as stuffy, sneezy or itchy as I was in OK. Hell, come to think of it, I could have played as many as three of the seven dwarfs in Oklahoma. smile
Good luck,
dan

J
J
Oklahoma allegries are horrible. If I do any dealing outside, I will probably have some sort of allegries. The introduction of canola does not help.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Had an earlier bout with allergies this year, and just started another round last week. Rain would be a big help.

Just do it...
T
T
I've noticed over the last 2 years and this year especially though that I am in agony after I get off the mower or using the weedeater. Eyes watering and itching plus sneezing like crazy. It's never been an issue for me till these last couple years. This spring there was so much pollen pouring off the trees by the house I thought the place was on fire one morning...

S
S
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Oklahoma allegries are horrible. If I do any dealing outside, I will probably have some sort of allegries. The introduction of canola does not help.

They grow canola in Oklahoma? I thought it was a cooler weather crop, like southern Canada, NoDak and the northern tier of states. Didn't know OK had it too.
Dan

J
J
Originally Posted By: sleepyweasel

They grow canola in Oklahoma? I thought it was a cooler weather crop, like southern Canada, NoDak and the northern tier of states. Didn't know OK had it too.
Dan

It is just taking off as a rotational crop with crop to try to control unwanted plants (rye, ryegrass, cheat, wild oats, etc.) in wheat fields. The canola pollen pretty affects everyone thus causing a new allegry here. It works well. 2 of the past three have provided high canola yields.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My wife is really taking a hit from allergies this year. I've been blessed with not really ever being bothered by them myself, but hate seeing her in so much constant discomfort. Our son is also really reacting this year but, at age 6 about to turn 7, he doesn't seem to let it bother him or slow him down. Poor little dude has red-rimmed eyes and his nose is constantly running. Definitely his worst year.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"Poor little dude has red-rimmed eyes and his nose is constantly running."

Whew!! Good thing he's not a teenager, or we'd be having a different discussion.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I use to think I had allergies in the past. Found out all the cause was industrial/household pollutants. Quite a few things will attack your respiratory/sinus systems. Paint's are really bad for me. I have issues with mold tho.

I was at a foundry a couple weeks ago, only for three hours. The place was horrendously filthy. You could grab filth out of the air with your hand, and you really had to watch where you were standing or you would get covered in foundry sand, I mean, it was coming down everywhere, and it should not be!

Anyway, that messed me up for a weekend! Glad I used a company laptop on that job. It still smells!

I really feel sorry for the people who work there! Seriously!!!

S
S
Originally Posted By: sleepyweasel

Dan

It is just taking off as a rotational crop with crop to try to control unwanted plants (rye, ryegrass, cheat, wild oats, etc.) in wheat fields. The canola pollen pretty affects everyone thus causing a new allegry here. It works well. 2 of the past three have provided high canola yields.

I lived in North Dakota for a while. Sure pretty when it blooms, but I can imagine the amount of pollen that must be in the air. What part of OK you from?
Dan

S
S
Originally Posted By: JKB
I use to think I had allergies in the past. Found out all the cause was industrial/household pollutants. Quite a few things will attack your respiratory/sinus systems. Paint's are really bad for me. I have issues with mold tho.

I was at a foundry a couple weeks ago, only for three hours. The place was horrendously filthy. You could grab filth out of the air with your hand, and you really had to watch where you were standing or you would get covered in foundry sand, I mean, it was coming down everywhere, and it should not be!

Anyway, that messed me up for a weekend! Glad I used a company laptop on that job. It still smells!

I really feel sorry for the people who work there! Seriously!!!

I worked in a foundry for about half a day once. My job was cleaning, and by noon my throat was so sore I just hung it up. I'm with ya on feeling for those who work in those places.
Dan

J
J
Central OK. About 30 mins NW of OKC.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: spinnerbait

That one doesn't work for me anymore. LOL I've used just about everyone there is now. I too have been dealing with allergies all my life. Even used to get injections to build up a tolerance. I had to stop, as even though this particular doctor's office was only 5 minutes away, it was usually an hour or two ordeal to get the shot so it wasn't conducive to running a business when you were the only one there.

I'm thinking if we can get rain here to clear the air I'll be good. If I drive 20 minutes from here to the school where my wife teaches where they have had rain I'm much better.

I hate to hear that it doesn't work for you anymore. It has seemed like the magic pill for me. I have a guy that works with me that never has any allergy issues! Don't understand how it affects one person and not others.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
J
J
Allegra never worked for me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm fine all year long except for ragweed. That usually kicks in the 2nd week of August until the first frost.

When I lived in So. Cal, I never was bothered by my allergies, and it took a few years after I moved to Indiana for them to start acting up again.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
"Poor little dude has red-rimmed eyes and his nose is constantly running."

Whew!! Good thing he's not a teenager, or we'd be having a different discussion.

Tell me about it! Fortunately, the local bath salts shop was raided a month ago and was closed by the feds. Could be he's just going through withdrawals!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
One thing that sometimes works for plant pollens is to eat a tablespoon of local honey. Thanks.

Bryan

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Allegra never worked for me.

It suddently kicked in for me by taking it for 3 days straight. Now it works quite well. I made an appointment to see the doctor for something stronger but once the allegra started working I cancelled it. I'm not giving my doctor $75.00 plus the cost of the prescription to tell me, "Yes, it looks like you have allergy issues." It's already close to $100.00 to get my blood tested for cholesterol and make sure my meds are not effecting my liver. My doc owns his own lab so it's ching ching for him there too. wink

Insurance won't pay for anything. I think I'll move to Canada.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/10/12 05:24 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
One thing that sometimes works for plant pollens is to eat a tablespoon of local honey. Thanks.

Bryan

Interesting. I may try that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 01:18 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner