Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,016
Posts558,544
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, 2blade), 71 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Man we already need rain. We are like 4 inches below where we should be and no rain in site! Might be doing some more pond digging this year! Hold on PondBossers it could be another ugly year for ponds! frown

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I plan to put in a pond year which is sure to bring on the rain...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You're not alone RC551. We are dry as a bone here in northeast Indiana too. There was some rain west of us but it fizzled before it got here.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
We have been a bit on the wet side. Been pretty clear for a week or so. Hopefully this weekend we wont get any rain. I have a bunch of outside work to get done.

If I had a big enough fan, I would blow it all you guy's way!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
already down 18 + inches. Would normally be down about 8 or 10" at this point. Came outta winter at about this same 18" down when we would normally be goin' over the spillway after spring thaw.

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
We are running short over 4 inches YTD and have had a few showers. Our life savor was a quick downpour of 2.5 inches which added back 8 inches to the pond.

Hopefully we dig our new well this coming week. I'm feeling better about going forward with it!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey Brettski,
Not to change the subject or anything. We got a new zoning guy. Retired contractor that lived in our county all his life, and one sweet dude. I can now build a garage with an apartment above. Minimum requirements are 810 sq ft of living space and part of the garage can be used for that.

Really glad all those city yahoo's got booted out this last local election.

Anyway,
Back to dry conditions. Test holes are still dry.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With 25 gpm going into the pond 75% of the day mine is 24"-25" below full pool. Well has been running for the past 3 weeks part time. We're bone dry, I think maybe 2" in the last 2 months. 30 miles NE of us had 2.5" a week ago, we barely got enough to make water spots on the windshield.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I know right? I am a bit scared this time. It just now getting to be summer and most of us are all down on water already! I sure hope Mother Nature starts to be a little more kind to us. One bad thing about having your feeder out in your pond on legs? When I set it out there this spring it was chest high now it's below the belt high! I may end up having to move it out some once I can lift it! smile Crazy. Come rain come on!!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
We were very dry in April, almost no rain the whole month... Now in May, we seem to get a .25 to .5 inch every other day or so with t-storms. In the last 4 days we've gotten over 6" of rain. Some areas over 8".

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
We ae above avg and all ponds are full unless they have a problem.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
We were very dry in April, almost no rain the whole month... Now in May, we seem to get a .25 to .5 inch every other day or so with t-storms. In the last 4 days we've gotten over 6" of rain. Some areas over 8".

I guess we are getting everybody else's rain. The pond we finished two weeks ago will be at full pool by morning. I didn't expect that to happen until October. My main pond is muddy for the first time in about five years. We got about two inches in about an hour night before last.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Mine has never filled from last year. The rains I need have missed me. Mine are dropping about an inch per day. Some of it is no doubt still wicking back due to last years record drought and heat.

I'm not real happy.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Here is east central Indiana my pond is down about 18 inches. The good news is with more plants I don't have any FA so far while other ponds near me have had a lot.

Lunker
Lunker
My pond could use some rain, we had an abnormally warm and dry fall and winter. I have a feeling it's going to be followed by a warm, hot, and dry summer.

Here are how things are looking around the country.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Lunker
Lunker
Man I am down 4+' since last July 1st. The pond has never completely filled. Got close last June but since then almost no rain and way about normal temps. Really afraid if it keeps up I am going to need to put my fish up for adoption. Of course minus the few I eat. With a lot of fresh Walleye in the freezer from Lake Erie it tough to eat bluegill.

Last edited by lassig; 05/25/12 12:06 PM.

J
J
The drought has not been broken for here at least. The last few rains you could dig down 2 inches and the soil would be bone dry. The grass is already turning brown in spots. Most of our ponds are full due to lucky and timely rains also producing a great wheat crop at least a small area.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah it's not looking good. May end up being a good year to make dock improvments! smile

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Desperately need rain here, although certainly not as bad as other areas of the country. Our ponds are down only 4", but dropping daily. Normally have water going out the spillpipes during May. It's not the level that concerns me as much as the timing....it's too early in the year to be starting this already. Record heat forecast for us this weekend, as well as an "ozone alert action day/s" for Sat. and Sun. That's a first for us.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
O
O
I am nearly three feet low now. We have had no rain since march. Rain keeps missing us. I guess if there is a silver lining I have not had to mow my lawn since the last week of april. We r in trouble. June is typically the beginning of our dry season. Will work for rain...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Record heat forecast for us this weekend, as well as an "ozone alert action day/s" for Sat. and Sun. That's a first for us.

Wind blowing your way from Indy?

I mowed last weekend, and will mow again today, but it's just to make the weeds the same height as the grass/clover. Even the clover is getting crunchy to walk on.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
Record heat forecast for us this weekend, as well as an "ozone alert action day/s" for Sat. and Sun. That's a first for us.

I mowed last weekend, and will mow again today, but it's just to make the weeds the same height as the grass/clover. Even the clover is getting crunchy to walk on.

I can't imagine what influenced the need for an ozone action alert down this way. You've been here Scott, you've seen what this area is.... not exactly a metropolis.

Yeah, the grass has stopped growing. That gets in my wallet real quick.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Looks like another wet weekend up here. Bummer!

On a weather report earlier this year, they said it would be a repeat of last year. Kinda sucks all around. I want to boot the rain out so I can get some work done, and a bunch of you really need it.

Last edited by JKB; 05/25/12 05:04 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not here; only a 50 percent chance of showers by Monday evening. We've had that forecast for that last two cold fronts and it fizzled out to bascially a few drops and some lightning.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

I can't imagine what influenced the need for an ozone action alert down this way. You've been here Scott, you've seen what this area is.... not exactly a metropolis.

Yeah, the grass has stopped growing. That gets in my wallet real quick.

I know, not anywhere near a sea of concrete and asphalt. That's why I was wondering if it was blowing from Indy to you. Out West, I've seen the smog from LA blowing inland for over 100 miles.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 12:35 AM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 11:58 PM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?