Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,992
Posts558,291
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,576
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
4 members (B storm, Jward87, BarkyDoos, cgoetz1), 958 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
quote=esshup]

I know, not anywhere near a sea of concrete and asphalt. That's why I was wondering if it was blowing from Indy to you. Out West, I've seen the smog from LA blowing inland for over 100 miles.

Maybe we're not supposed to bale hay this weekend. laugh

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Not in this heat! They are calling for 95°F here tomorrow, I'll bet you'd be hitting triple digits!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Three years ago in S.C. Kansas a person could punch in a 40' deep well and get 20gpm, last year it took a 80' well to get 20gpm, this year 120' I all ready have one 40' well sucking air and it's only May…..not good.

Don't Analyze Your Pleasures!!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I had a customer in the shop yesterday who had spent the morning placing flags on graves for memorial day. He claimed the ground was so hard that the wooden sticks that support the marker flags kept breaking off. He was using a 3/8" steel dowel to pre-punch the hole deep enough to hold the flags up.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Pretty dark outside right now at 10am, also a bit soggy.

Hope it clears up by tomorrow. We have too much water in MI, and it is constantly being recycled -via- Mother Nature in the form of rain.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just looked at the radar when I came in, and the wet is coming across Lake Michigan going due East from central Wi. Not a drop here. Lots of grassy areas have turned brown already, and I've got streaks where I drove over the grass/dutch clover by the pond last week. The clover in the rest of the grass is wilted, the grass is blue and some of the smaller trees have leaves that are starting to wilt.

A friend had 25 trees transplanted with a tree spade, and while they seem to be doing well now, he'll have to start pouring the water to them if they show signs of stress. They were transplanted 3 weeks ago before the leaves popped out. Most are around 3"-4" DBH. Red/Pin Oaks and Sugar Maples.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
O
Esshup you need to tell your friend not to wait til they are showing signs of stress before he starts watering them or it will be to late. Trees that big with our current weather situations will not be able to recover like they would in a normal year. What he does now is critical to the longevity and long term health of his trees. If he does not water enough the trees (especially the maples) will develope shallow root systems and have difficulty surviving any future drought conditions as well as having roots that will be on or near the surface that can become damaged while mowing,driving over them etc. He has to keep in mind that over fifty percent of the root base of the tree was cut off during the digging process and the tree is not able to take up the water nearly as efficient as an established tree. So if he waits til it shows signs of needing water he is going to be playing catch up and the tree is not able to do that with the shortage of roots. The water leaving the tree under these conditions is far greater than the amount of water the tree can take up through the soil. He needs to give each tree a min of thirty gallons of amended water, slowly so it does not run off, at least once a week until conditions improve. He can go to any lawn and garden store and pick up liquid root stimulator and add to the water. It is not that expensive but it is very effective. The way we do it is to take five gallon buckets and drill 3 small holes in the bottom. Place one at the base of the tree and fill with water, add root stimulator and wait til it is empty then refill again until he has put at least thirty gallons per tree or the ground becomes so saturated it will no longer take any more water. A lot depends on soil type. Down here we have stepped up to fifty gallons per week do to low humidity, no rain, high heat and very porous soil types. Some of our 6-8 inch trees we are watering twice a week. For those we place two buckets under the tree and add bricks to the bottom to keep the buckets from blowing away between uses.

O
O
JKB can you check into fedexing some of that down here...

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: ozarkstriperscom
JKB can you check into fedexing some of that down here...

laugh I wish I could!

I am going to take a stab at hitting the property tomorrow morning and see if I can get any work done. It was pretty dismal when I got up at 4am this morning, but I had to finish up a couple details for a weld fixture for a dog and pony show today. It has cleared up a bit, and a bit of blue sky is showing. Looks to be a big system in Wisconsin inching toward me. I hope Lake Michigan takes it out, I have a lot of outside work to do, and so far, my spring vacation plans have been postponed by the boss. That's OK, but he is going to owe me, and I will collect! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks ozarkstriperscom! When the holes were dug then, in the amount of time it took the spade to dig up another tree and move it 150 yds to the hole there was 8" or so of water in the bottom of the hole. I'm sure that's no longer the case - sandy soils. The last 2 weekends he's put 275 gallons of water on the trees each weekend using a tote that I have to hold the water, but it takes 2+ hrs to fill the tote from his well - it's an old shallow well and it ain't working so well........

I'll copy your recommendations and e-mail them to him.

Last edited by esshup; 05/26/12 04:34 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
60 percent chance of rain last night when a cold front came through turned up zip for rain here in northeast Indiana. I sure wish it had rained to lay down the grass pollen. I've had serious allergy issues the last few days. OTC allergy meds don't make a difference anymore.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, ragweed is my nemesis. I found that I have to switch to different OTC meds every year. What worked last year doesn't seem to work this year, etc. Claratin or Allegra seem to be the 2 that work the most consistently.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I recently switched to a CVS brand and it worked quite well. Now not so much. I guess it's time to try another brand.

Don't think it's ragweed yet as it usually comes out later in the summer doesn't it?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/29/12 01:13 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
O
Finally got some rain last night. Granted it was not much and did not do anything to fill up the pond but at least I can breathe again. Im new to this allergy thing and dont care much for it at all. Better chance for heavier rains tonight. Keepin my fingers crossed.

J
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I recently switched to a CVS brand and it worked quite well. Now not so much. I guess it's time to try another brand.

Don't think it's ragweed yet as it usually comes out later in the summer doesn't it?

Nothing really works that well for me. I just kind of put up with it. Well everything has come early in Oklahoma and the nation has been fairly warm so it is possible that the ragweed pollen is in the air.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Due to our very brief (2 weeks) winter, we have allergies and mosquitoes way ahead of time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I saw a lightening bug flashing outside the house Sunday night. That's something that happens during the middle of summer, not the end of May!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
We started seeing a few June bugs at the end of March. shocked

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Garage door open at night with lights on inside = many large and small June bugs inside as of May 15th.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 04:19 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Augie - 05/06/24 02:00 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond