Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
8 members (Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate), 899 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#292983 05/22/12 06:15 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I have some pretty large grass carp that are really elusive. Only occasional sightings. How do you remove them? A friend in the pond consultant business is telling me I need some small ones to help with the algae and weed problems. I'm reluctant to add any because first I'm really not sure they are effective and two I don't know how to rid the pond of them after they get large. Thoughts?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here is an old thread with some good info: Catching Grass Carp

This one was caught on a ball of gummy white bread over a circle hook, during feeding time:

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This might be a good topic to list items that you have used to catch grass carp. I havwe read where cherry tomatoes work for grass carp / amur. It takes a good angler to land a fish that size without it breaking the line or the pole. Many fish that size break the line and then they become even more elusive. Good job Ken.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/22/12 09:50 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
If you bow fish at all that may be an option if you can get them close enough. I plan to try that later this summer.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Doctor Duck
I have some pretty large grass carp that are really elusive. Only occasional sightings. How do you remove them? A friend in the pond consultant business is telling me I need some small ones to help with the algae and weed problems. I'm reluctant to add any because first I'm really not sure they are effective and two I don't know how to rid the pond of them after they get large. Thoughts?

I caught this one on a AQMX 600 pellet fly.
Be careful when you "leader" them - they will fight as hard on the bank as in the water and break a 12lb leader.
Don't release them because as they won't bite again...
Great sport fish on the fly.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

I'm not familiar with fish in your pond but I'd like to guess that they are some kind of predators (bass, perch etc), aren't they?
In such case at first you should create a feeding spot and try to use only vegetables as food - for example, wheat, corn, bread or something similar. Predators usually will avoid it.

After some time you may try using a rod with the same bait as you used for feeding.

The main idea is to avoid all other fish in the pond.

EDIT: you may try to drop some weeds in the pond and stay still for some time. In cases when grass carps aren't overfed they might eat them and you will witness that. This will help you find out their favorite places. By the way, after watching you can try that weed as a bait - I've heard that Japanese guys use various weeds on hook with good success.

Last edited by Grundulis; 05/22/12 04:19 PM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Grundulis
I'm not familiar with fish in your pond but I'd like to guess that they are some kind of predators (bass, perch etc), aren't they?
In such case at first you should create a feeding spot and try to use only vegetables as food - for example, wheat, corn, bread or something similar. Predators usually will avoid it.

After some time you may try using a rod with the same bait as you used for feeding.

The main idea is to avoid all other fish in the pond.

EDIT: you may try to drop some weeds in the pond and stay still for some time. In cases when grass carps aren't overfed they might eat them and you will witness that. This will help you find out their favorite places. By the way, after watching you can try that weed as a bait - I've heard that Japanese guys use various weeds on hook with good success.

The fish above is a Grass Carp. It is not a predator like a bass. It only eats weeds. All types if hungry enough, but that's it.

Just FYI
The main idea is to avoid all other fish in the pond

Last edited by RC51; 05/22/12 04:21 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I have always heard that once grass carp get a certain size "they should be removed because their consumption of plants slows down". Why remove them? What are they hurting? Even if they just eat a small percent of what they did when they were young, they are still eating that small percent.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bing
I have always heard that once grass carp get a certain size "they should be removed because their consumption of plants slows down". Why remove them? What are they hurting? Even if they just eat a small percent of what they did when they were young, they are still eating that small percent.

Bing, it's all about biomass and carrying capacity. If you remove a large one that isn't eating much (think about how much elderly people eat compared to a teenager), you can add more little ones, and more plants will be consumed.

I've caught them on Stubby Steves:
http://www.stubbysteve.com/

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Fingerling
Fingerling
H
I have only ever caught 1 from using bait and it was with some catfish dough and I doubt that is a effective way of catching them. Now if you don't care what happens to them you can always snag them. I have caught tons of them by snagging them when I was a kid. I still have a snagging treble hook from when I was little and it works awesome. You might be able to find one but it might be hard cause that's sorta frowned upon and maybe illegal. Or take the biggest treble you can find and a heavy sinker and rig it like a drop shot. I use to do that before I had a snagging treble. Normal crank bait hooks probably wont cut it since that have giant scales and they are pretty thick.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Shotgun

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
essup: I have always heard that explanation, but when I google "Biomass" I can't relate what I read to a fish taking up some physical space in the water. If you put "fresh" grass carp in with the older ones it seems to me you will get more vegetation eaten than with just the new ones. A very well respected pond boss I spent some time with lately gave me this as a concept. Unless your water is "crowded" I can't see that the old ones cause any harm. The highly respected guy I was talking to sometimes lurks here. Perhaps he will chime in

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bing, me too! It's not only physical space, it's O2 consumed, poop produced, etc. Here's info taken from Americansportfish.com. It sums up what I was going to say better.

"The amount of vegetation they will consume depends upon several environmental factors such as water temperature, water chemistry, and the kinds of plants available. Consumption rates also vary with fish size. For example, until they weigh about 6 pounds, grass carp may eat 100 per cent of their body weight per day in vegetation. Larger grass carp consumes less in relative terms but do consume larger absolute quantities. Fish weighing up to about 13 pounds will eat 75 per cent of their body weight each day and above 13 pounds they slow down to about 25 per cent of their body weight each day."

The way that I reason, I'd rather have a 6# fish eating 6# of weeds and using O2 for 6# of fish flesh than a 24# fish eating 6# of weeds per day and using up enough O2 for 24# of fish. You get the idea.

Going by those numbers above, once they reach 15# start replacing them for the most "bang for the buck".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

The fish above is a Grass Carp. It is not a predator like a bass. It only eats weeds. All types if hungry enough, but that's it.
[/quote]

You have misundesrtood me. I'm familiar with grass carp (there are some in my ponds).
The main idea of my post was that if GC is the only one non-predatory fish in the pond then it shouldn't be that hard to catch. Use bait that isn't suitable for predators.

This is based on the average Pond Boss user that keeps mostly predator fish in the pond - bass, perch, catfish etc.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Grundulis, I know that it shouldn't be that hard to catch a big grass carp. But it certainly turns out to be hard.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Everything depends on size of that pond and fish species inside it.
For example, I didn't manage to catch my grass carp from ~0,1 acre pond...

In my case there was one big trouble though - small white fish (I mean close carp relatives). How can you get that one carp if small ones fast eat whatever I put on the hook? smile

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh ok your right I did mis-understand what you said. Sorry about that. No worries mate!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
S
I say this as joke.....

you could put a small charge of C4 on the grass carp you stock, then when they have outgrown your welcome, say goodbye and push a button. smile

but I imagine that bowfishing would be your best bet....its a lot of fun too

Last edited by Spike; 05/23/12 12:15 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I love this recommendation! The ONLY drawback might be having a small window of opportunity to perform GC removal depending on state law regulating discharging of fireworks. For us, it's July 2-5 only. wink

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I love this recommendation! The ONLY drawback might be having a small window of opportunity to perform GC removal depending on state law regulating discharging of fireworks. For us, it's July 2-5 only. wink

Hmmmmmmmmmm............... I remember a time.......... wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Hmmmmmmmmmm............... I remember a time.......... wink grin

That was in that time frame. I'm sure of it.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Doctor Duck, if I were you, I would not add any additional GC. I overstocked my pond with them (180 in 6 acres of water) and as a result they have denuded the pond of vegetation. The nutrients which would otherwise go into healthy vegetation are instead taken up by phytoplankton. That means that each summer through fall the lake turns an ugly, murky, brownish-green. What was once inviting now looks icky.

The youngest of the GC is 23 years old! They seem to never die. Last week the water was exceptionally clear (it won't last) and I was able to count 16 of them in one small area. I've tried shooting them, I've tried catching them with every vegetable imaginable (cherry tomatoes included), and I've even put a bounty of $25 each on their heads for the neighbors to try their luck. As has been noted above though, they are extremely elusive. In the past 5 years we've only been able to confirm 3 killed. We may have killed a couple of more but they tend to sink fast when shot.

Do not believe the hypothesis that when they get old they stop eating! I only wish it were true! Here is a photo shot last week showing a fence we constructed to protect a tiny cove in the hope of reestablishing plants. The GC cannot get into the area on the left. The area on the right where the GC lurk looks OK now, but it's only May. Soon the water will turn ugly.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bing

I couldn't agree more. I have two monsters left in my pond. I love them. The kids and guests love them. They are acrobatic, and at more than 3-foot long, they really make a splash when they jettison out of the water, at about a 45-dgree angle, for a pellet at feeding time. I can't tell the two of them apart. We just refer to them them both SSN-688 (in reference to the Los Angeles class nuclear submarines).

They might eat a few pellets, but that is OK. They don't eat a lot of weeds anymore, but that is good. I need a little more cover in my pond.

I just wouldn't want a whole bunch of them in the pond.

We've also got our friend with who is bright orange, with black tiger stripes. We refer to this critter as Koi George. Every spring I wonder if he is still alive -- and every spring he is bigger than he was when the pond iced over. He has at least doubled in length (and probably girth) in the last 6-7 years. He is now about 3-foot long, and looks like a bright orange torpedo. I don't know what he eats. He comes around at feeding time, but I've never seen him take pellets. This time of year he always pals up with one of the big catfish. Where you see one, you'll see the other -- until we bring the catfish in for dinner.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all the input. I've got a nephew who bowfishes at night with a generator running some bright lights on his boat. If we can figure out how to launch and get it back out of the pond this may be the best way.
Catmandoo, I know what you mean by comparing them to submarines. The rare instances I see them brings a submarine to mind.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Spike
I say this as joke.....
you could put a small charge of C4 on the grass carp you stock, then when they have outgrown your welcome, say goodbye and push a button. smile
but I imagine that bowfishing would be your best bet....its a lot of fun too
This reminds me of active research focused on transgenic incorporation of an inducible fatality gene (IFG).
What a concept! Stephen King could certainly weave this idea into a thriller.
A normally benign dietary substance is used to trigger selective mortality of a trans-genetically modified population.
Theoretically, the concept could be employed for managing grass carp populations - not to mention many others. eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images