Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is that 3/4" thick T & G? Single wide or carsiding?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I don't remember the thickness, probably 1/2" to 3/4" but the T&G boards were about 6 inches wide, I had to go back 2 times and get more, I underestimated the amount we would need.

The only sheet rock is in the downstairs bath, and soon I'm gonna cover it with pine, even the ceiling. grin

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
That pine is just like the spruce I was looking at. 1/2 by 6 T&G 10 feet long. Not cheep either! That is basicaly what I am going to be using but to keep the cost down a bit we are not doing with it 100 percent. Dang stuff is 14 bucks a board around here.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Just a quick update. We will be kicking off the cabin building once again this next week! My mom and dad are coming up from AZ as I write this and should be in Friday afternoon. We will be setting up shop on Saturday and getting ready to kick start this project back up again. We will be working on the fascia and soffit, walkway and steps to the main door, the 12 x 14 foot deck, and putting in electrical inside, also working on putting up the rest of the 2x4 walls and start on the bathroom, and then we will see after that!! I will post pics when I can.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You're doin' real good, RC. We are about to begin our 4th year, so you're way ahead of the (my?) curve.
Bring the pics, man.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
You're doin' real good, RC. We are about to begin our 4th year, so you're way ahead of the (my?) curve.
Bring the pics, man.

Hey thanks Bski! I may be ahead of the curve on you, but your place is SOOOOOOO much sweeter than mine and bigger! I apprecaite your comments though. I will post pics when I can for sure! I am looking forward to phase 2. By the end of July last year I didn't even want to see my cabin or land!!! I was so sick of it I never thought I would say that but when your doing this kind of work in 100 plus degree weather it will make you feel that way and I know you know what I am talking about! Pictures and update coming as soon as we get started!!

Last edited by RC51; 04/26/12 06:42 PM.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Well we got things started this weekend! Wow the body does not want to kick in gear for some reason!! smile I think we got one of the hardest things out of the way though that we will be doing this year.

We had to get electrical from the main outside into the cabin. So I had to dig a trench from the main to under the cabin and down the side of it to put the Sch.40 pipe in and the fricken wire that takes the HULK to bend in the pipe!!! smile Man that stuff is hard to work with!

In this first pic you can see the trench coming from the outside main going under the cabin. A 12 inch trench doesn't seem that big of a deal but some of this dirt felt as hard as concrete!

This second pic is me trying to trench under the cabin. Man it was hard enough now I have limited space too!!! frown Dang it!

Here I am trying to put this wonderfull non bending wire in a curved piece of pipe!! It's kind of like trying to put a square peg in a round hole!! Wow not easy. This was so hard I even had to have my dad help me feed this wire. It was a 2 man job for most of it!

We decided to put one piece of pipe on at a time and work the wire in. We put the center curve on first and worked our way back to that from each end. And we still barely made it!! smile

Then we mounted the electrical box in the cabin and hooked it all up. Here my dad is finishing up mounting the box.

And here is the other end outside. At this point we didn't hook this end up till the evening when it was a bit cooler out. It's already getting pretty hot here in Arkansas!

So I now have electricity in the cabin! We then sat down and went over where all I wanted outlets and switches and how many 30 and 20 amp breakers were gonna need and all that good stuff.

Then of course we decided to do a little fishing too.

Here is a NICE CNBG my dad caught. My fish are starting to grow nice! I am finally starting to see some progress after 3 years. This CNBG was right at 3/4 of a pound, and it was nice. I have a hard time trying to see what a 2 pound CNBG would look like!! I hope I can get a few that size!

I also caught 2 bass that night but they looked a little skinny. It's not because of lack of baitfish and BG I can tell you that. I have little 2 and 3 inch BG everywhere! I think these bass may have just spawned out not long ago. I hope that's why they are a little skinny.

I don't have pictures but I also caught 1 or 2 of my HSB and they are already growing!! And my fish are hitting the feeder pretty hard! Ok well that's it for now. I will update as I can.

thanks,

Last edited by RC51; 05/08/12 09:27 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Outstanding, RC! Congrats on the progress! I suspect that getting electric into the cabin is going to be the game changer for you and for future progress! Having power readily available makes everything a lot more convenient. Well done, and nice looking fish!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Outstanding, RC! Congrats on the progress! I suspect that getting electric into the cabin is going to be the game changer for you and for future progress! Having power readily available makes everything a lot more convenient. Well done, and nice looking fish!

Hey Todd thanks! Our goals for this year are electricity ran in the cabin, finishing up the fascia and soffet and making the deck. After that we'll see, but I think we can get that done and have some fun fishing time too. Last year we work waaaaay to hard to get things in the dry, but it had to be done. This year not pushing it just taking it easy and doing whatever we want and stoping when we want to!!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Before you start loafing and fishing, install air conditioning. It's hard to enjoy your getaway place when you can't sleep at night.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Before you start loafing and fishing, install air conditioning. It's hard to enjoy your getaway place when you can't sleep at night.

Hey DD1 that's a given here in Arkansas! It's so humid hear most of the time it's like living in a jungle in the summer! Were catching a break right now with the humidity but I'm sure it will be right back in a minute!! smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice! I second the A/C. It looks like the pier is holding up nicely too. I agree, post spawn on the LMB.

On the electric cable/pipe, it feeds thru larger dia pipe easier.... wink grin Plus they make a slime to put on the cable to get it to slide easier too, although it IS a mess to work with, and you have to be careful not to let dirt get in the mix or it gets to be a REAL mess!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice CNBG RC. How about a HSB pic when ready. Take time to enjoy the trip.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Eric thanks,

This weekend I will try and catch one of my HSB and take a pic of it. They are getting fatter already! The one I caught was already about a half inch longer and thicker!! Nice fat belly I think the bigger ones are also feeding on pellets now too. The one I caught looked to be one of my 10 inchers and he was over near by the feeder! I have also caught 2 regualr bass over there! They know where the action is for sure and are hanging out waiting to catch some of those smaller BG!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Nice! I second the A/C. It looks like the pier is holding up nicely too. I agree, post spawn on the LMB.

On the electric cable/pipe, it feeds thru larger dia pipe easier.... wink grin Plus they make a slime to put on the cable to get it to slide easier too, although it IS a mess to work with, and you have to be careful not to let dirt get in the mix or it gets to be a REAL mess!

Hey Esshup I hear ya on the pipe!! smile Thanks for the confirmation on the LMB I hope that's what it is? I have so many 1 and 2 inch BG in my pond I can't hardly believe it's anything else. And by adding the Cutrine Plus this spring my chara has been at bay for the most part too. I am hoping that will help the LMB find the fish a little better!

thanks,

Last edited by RC51; 05/09/12 04:23 PM.

R
R
Glad to see progress is starting back up. I alway enjoy reading the updates. Nice fishery you got going to.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone sorry it's been a couple of weeks since my last update. So here we go. We started on getting our fascia and soffit done which I thought was going to be fairly easy, ha,ha I am starting to figure out nothing to building a cabin / house is easy it would seem! smile Well here are a couple of pics of the fascia we got on.

It wasn't to bad once we got down a system. We are saving the front of the cabin for after we get the deck on so we will be up higher and won't have to stretch out those ladders as far. Of couse we have not capped the end corners of the fascia yet either. Once we got that done we started on the soffit here is a quick pic of the F channels we were puttting on to slide the soffit into. These F channels have to go on both the inside and outside of the overhang of the roof in order to slide your soffit into them. For those who don't understand this process.

Then once you get your F channels on you can start cutting and sliding soffit into place. Here are a couple of pics with most of the sides done.

Wow talk about a LOT of ladder work up, down, up, down and were still not done! frown Dang it!

Finally we have a couple of pics of the inside where we are continuing to put walls up. This first pic is of my dad putting up the first wall in the cabin other, than the center wall which we had to have last year. In the second pic we also put up the hallway wall. It's kind of cool setting these walls and seeing everything starting to come together.

Then of course last but not least after a hard days work taking it easy and having a cold one with your dad enjoying the pond with the fire going. It don't get much better than that!!

Well that's it for this week. We will continue on the fascia and soffit and start building the deck this weekend. Pics to follow.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice, buddy! Keep on plugging away!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks Todd,

I this is the second year. I figure with my budget it will be a 4 year project. Just don't have the money to get it done right away, but as Eric says that way you can enjoy the journey more! Have a good one and more updates to come.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
Thanks Todd,

I figure with my budget it will be a 4 year project. Just don't have the money to get it done right away...

We work with the same budget committee!
-
The one thing I have noticed is that once the exterior is fairly well corked up, the pressure for progress is a lessened a bit. Don't get me wrong; the driven desire for accomplishment remains strong, but minimizing the personal disappointment for coming up short on the planned "to do" list is easier to accept. This, in turn, provides enough room to allow distraction to enjoy the journey. Oddly for me, tho, is that the newly alloted time to enjoy the journey is filled with working the land instead of the crib. It's how I roll and I doubt that I'm alone. I call it my rhythm.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice job RC !

I really think , from multi generations of experience, that it is better not to do it all quickly. Better to think and plan 3 generations out of what would work best. That takes a lot of work followd by conversations by the fire of ideas.

Last edited by ewest; 05/22/12 08:50 PM.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Mem. Weekend Update!

Hey all we had a fun Mem. Day get together this weekend and got some work done too and some good fishing. Here are a few pics.

This first pic is of the fascia and soffit done on the back side gable end. It turned out perfect. We thought we may have trouble at the top getting everything to fit right but it worked out great. Dad and I couldn't believe it something actually went easy for a change!! smile

After that we got cleaned up some we started to get ready for a cook out with the family.

We had some good grub and then decided to do a little fishing with my 2 boys. Here is Brett with a nice CNBG.

And my son Noah with a decent one also. We caught a few others too but did not take pics of them. They were all in that 7 to 8 inch range pretty nice! My fish are looking better and better every week they eat this AM500!

Well then the next day we started the deck!! Yep you heard me right the deck!!! smile So won't be long and I can have that morning cup of coffee out on my deck overlooking the pond! It's hard to believe we have gotten this far. This time last year the deck was just a pipe dream!! Wow!! Here are a few pics. We should have it done this weekend then we can finish the Soffit on the front side of the cabin. Were building the deck first so dont have to extend the ladders any more then we have too.

Well that's it for this week. Should have some more pics of the deck finished after this weekend. Until then ya'll have a good one.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Looks great RC, gonna have a lot of years of good times there.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Well done RC. You going to paint/stain the deck ?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Eric going to seal it first with Thompson's Water Sealer after that I will decied if I want to stain it or not? I kind of like the natural look too as long as we can get a good seal on it.

Thanks AP I apprecaite it! Hope all is well with you bud! Hope your making progress on your Dam too!!!

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!