Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,957
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod, Jason D, Perch Pond, Augie), 1,471 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278645 01/24/12 01:42 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Lake Project - I am finally looking at getting lake put in. Which get money transfer, then getting dozer guy the go foward in with lake in Feburary.

The Blue area in the northeast area of map is where I looking at putting it in.

Was just looking for suggestion.

Private Land Conservationist recommend on where to put it.

District Technician has looked at site

Dozer guy has looked at site

Engineer has made recommendation for a duck flat for waterfowl

Waiting on talking with resource soil scientist now.

Had a distict techician for Bollinger County come out and look at site along with Private Land Conservationist years before that.

light red line is property line.

Here is what I came up with regarding the pond site we looked at on May 4th.

Topo maps have 20' contour lines on them so I based everything off of 20' since I had to use mapping for the estimate. I don't know if you want to go quite that tall but that is the best way for me to give you the estimate.

All of these numbers are approximate.

Levee Height 24'
Pool depth 20'
Pool size 1 ac
Pipe size 97' of 6" PVC.
Draw down pipe 150' of 1 1/4" to 2" PVC pipe
Drainage Area 15 acres
Slopes 3:1 front and back

(Had dozer guys out last year and we both talked and the dang would be crazy wide so we are going down in height just won't be as big of pool size.)

Info for your duck flat:

I spoke with Mark Nussbaum the area engineer for this. He gave me a lot of info so I will try to explain it the best I can. When you get closer to construction you may want to call him and discuss this so that he can explain it better.

He said to not berm the flat separate from the rest of your pond. To just have the flat in the upper portion of your pool area. I was thinking that you said you were going to berm in between the flat and the pool but wasn't sure. He recommends you control your vegetative area with a valve that is connected to your 6" PVC pipe. He recommends that the flat be 18" deep. You will need to saddle in a 2" pvc pipe and valve into the 6" spillway pipe. This will take place approximately 8' back on the 6" pipe from the inlet. The 2" line will be perforated with a valve and capped. This will stick out into the water about 3'. That is the shortened version I don't think I can repeat all of the details he told me but he said to tell you to call him.

I hope this is enough information for you. If you need anything else please feel free to call.

Thanks,
District Technician II
Bollinger SWCD

That is the information I have at this time.

Have not figure fish cover yet or if I should?

Fish would like to have Catfish, Bluegill this will be long want it to be something kids would enjoy doing. Not sure what else.

J
J
Its hard to say where the pond should be with the hieghts on the topo missing. But it s ounds like you are on the right track and have good people working with you.

H
OP Offline
H

H
OP Offline
H

H
OP Offline
H
Ok have dozer guy lined up just to put a road in for the test truck before the 16th. So if positive I will have road started to the pond but negative then I will end up with an old grown up expensive goat path.

District Tech. asked the Resource Soil Scientist about that soil and he said it isn’t one of the best soils for building a pond, not that it still couldn’t work. But he also said the mapping isn’t always accurate. For him to give you a better opinion he would have to look at it. He said he can take his probe truck and drill to see. Best I recall there isn’t an easy way to get to the site for that. So by just looking at it without probing and pulling a soil sample he couldn’t give you the best opinion possible. He is now scheduled here for Feb 16th

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That really is the only way to know for sure before digging. If it doesn't work out, it'll be a long food plot!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
As of today the Lost Valley Lake is now be approved to move forward from the Resource Soil Scientist along with the dozer guy.
Dozer guy roughed in road in about 50 minutes and then waited for the for Resource Soil Scientist and District Technician.
Dozer guy dug two test pits for the RSS after they both talked about what need to be done they were both ok with the soil.
So here goes nothing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Congrats on the progress!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
N
N
Congrats that is exciting!

T
T
Hi, My land is also in SE MO. Potosi 63664. Would you recomend your contractor. Everyone here says anyone with a dozer could make a pond. I would prefer someone that specializies in that though. I have met with soil and water folks and they looked at my map and gave me some ideas for location. I would really like as large as possible to contain the most diverse species. Thanks.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Anyone with a dozer can make a hole in the ground. Yep; however knowing soils, how to mix soils if needed, how to properly core, get the right slope, assure proper and adequate runoff, how to properly pack the dam, install drain pipe(s), construct a spillway.............Those things make a home for fish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
OP Offline
H
Lyndall Cook from Marble Hill area is who did mine is in the Contractor list from the MDC.

H
OP Offline
H
Final Days

Day 5 of work and about 23 days since it started.

They almost finished it rained the night 1 1/4" before so they damn the upper end so they could close up the damn after that they were able to open the upper end.

Day 6 they finished up the waterfowl area and finished my road as they left 15 acres is raising the water level just in one day. They finished up Saturday 10th.

Here is two trailer loads of pallets that I am using for fish cover. It Rained 1/2” on Sunday Night 11th

Water level still coming up, already at 4’ just over my waders on Monday 12th

Here are my Catfish Nesting Dens.

Tuesday 13th the water level came up 6” in 24 hours. Two pallets in above photos already under water I feel like I am in a race.

Catfish dens on both sides, had to guess a little with what I believe wind direction to face the opening and I place them 6 feet below what water level should be and that what research showed was within the range of most used nesting. Hope this eventually gives catfish a chance with the bass.

Final view from far end just above waterfowl area, got all my seed down just before it started to rain so many figures in my head but 13 to 14 foot water level with a 19 foot damn changes increase size as it went along.

[img]http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/847/medium/Lost_Valley_Lake_044.jpg[/img]

Last edited by horntagger; 03/14/12 11:09 PM.
H
OP Offline
H

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would anchor your boxes better.. Cool Idea. But I think you'll be surprised by the bouyancy. Also I'd make a vent in them so trapped air can escape, I thought I read on here the trapped air can become toxic, (if actually close to airtight) don't quote me on that.. Cool looking pond thanks for bringing us along for the ride..

PS- while she's low I'd put in my posts for Pier/dock.. It'll save you alot of headache..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/14/12 11:53 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: thedford
Hi, My land is also in SE MO. Potosi 63664. Would you recomend your contractor. Everyone here says anyone with a dozer could make a pond. I would prefer someone that specializies in that though. I have met with soil and water folks and they looked at my map and gave me some ideas for location. I would really like as large as possible to contain the most diverse species. Thanks.

I don't think anyone here would say that lol..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

H
OP Offline
H
Each one of the boxes has at least one rock, lol bolder that I could carry then added rocks in addition to that, I almost thought about take a bag of 40lb sakete and put on each so when it ever decay a cave type structure would be left.

The boards are not air tight top and bottoms made from old cedar deck boards that I got a few years ago even have a few hole in them so air should not be a problem.

Not going to put dock in, out of money anyway.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I like the sacrete idea.. And I know what you mean about out of money on the pond fund lol..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

T
T
Horntagger, If you dont mind, could you tell me what the final pond size is going to be? did you have them put all the piping in? does that bring the cost up a lot? Did they dam up a ravine? How large is your dam? did they bring in fill from outside or use from whats on your land? Thanks

H
OP Offline
H
Don't know yet, waiting for it to fill up and dry out so I can take some firm measurements. That way I can lime and fertilize in correct amount. Close to acre if I had to guess

Did not use piping just a earthin spillway like on page 13 of Missouri Pond Handbook. Very good booklet if you don't have on get one. Yes about a 1000 in my case.

Top of dam is about 11' foot on top and 18' tall. Put brush at far end of one of the ravine to help filter water.

No all fill came from onsite Soil Scientist said it would be ok soil to use..

H
OP Offline
H
Not sure but will find out soon enough how long they last.

Went out with friends today.

Rain Gauge since Wed Evening 1 3/4" rain and as of today the water was still coming in.

Sunday 18th level.

T
T
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

H
OP Offline
H
First stocking of fish

Clay has really settled can even see a little more green color, lots of tadpoles.

Can now see about 16 inches

Fathead Minnows went in today.

Found out today supplier has Albino Catfish, that was cool back when I was a kid and brought back some good memories. Think I will had that also. Any down side?

Last edited by horntagger; 04/14/12 02:26 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
But did some Fish Management Today

Did 25 Albino Channel Catfish, 25 Channel Catfish, 190 Bluegill, 60 Redear.

This shows how much the water has cleared up.

Another Good thing we notice today is the fathead minnows have already spawned and saw some small one today.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:07 PM