Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,810
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (FishinRod, Sunil, Theo Gallus, teehjaeh57, Boondoggle), 1,126 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
Hello! I am brand new here and have a question about what size gravel to use for a bubbling rock/disappearing pond. We dug the hole, lined it with sand, added the liner, put in more sand, then filled it with #57 gravel. I just came from the "pond" store; they said I should have used #2 gravel, that I would lose water volume with #57 gravel. Well, okay -- but I already have a 5' x 10' x 18" hole now filled with #57 gravel.

So my question is this: Given the size hole we have, and given that we've already filled it with gravel ... should we LIVE with lower water volume, or should we shovel the gravel out and fill it with #2 gravel instead? We haven't put the actual 800-pound bubbling rock on yet; if we NEED to change the gravel, obviously we want to do it NOW before we have the rock delivered and installed.

Naturally, I'm hoping to hear that #57 gravel will work just fine ... but we don't want to have problems later down the road. Thanks!!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
New2This -- Welcome to Pond Boss.

You've unfortunately stumbled into a deep can of worms, filled with quicksand. Plus, unfortunately, most of us here do not have a lot of experience with your type of pond. We mostly deal with earthen/clay sealed ponds, water table ponds filled to the water table, and privately owned lakes.

Please don't let this deter you. We'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

I've been buying aggregate (river gravel, crushed gravel, stones, rocks, sand, etc.) for nearly 50 years. What a mess. There are some definitions. There are some standards, but . . . It is a murky world.

Here are two sites may help: Luck Stone Product Application Chart

Crushed Stone

Anyway, I'm not sure what the "pond store" people were suggesting. Water is displaced by volume. A cubic foot of rock is a cubic foot of rock. A cubic foot of rock will displace a cubic foot of water.

Not all rocks, stones, and crushed rock/stone are created equal. Some have minerals, or other substances that can be good for fish. Others can kill your fish. I usually suggest that you put a small amount of the aggregate in a cup of vinegar. Generally, if it foams, don't use it for fish.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
I
I
I have no idea where you obtained the technical specs for constructing this feature, but they are entirely incorrect. The feature built as you described is guaranteed to fail. Your dimensions are fine, only a reservoir to allow for free flowing water to supply the pump is a must. Your set-up as described will rapidly clog with wind blown debris resulting in pump failure and a very labor and time intensive cleaning task. Matrix blocks, available under different brand names, are the usual choice to create the open, free flowing void under a surface layer of gravel along with a pump vault that will allow for ease of access for pump maintenance and for flushing the reservoir when required.

N
OP Offline
N
Catmandoo -- Thanks for the links! Our bubbling rock pond won't have any fish; it's mostly a "splash zone" for birds and butterflies.

Instar -- I should have said that the pump was inside of a "vault"; a large plastic box perforated with holes, so free-flowing water will seep through the gravel into the pump vault. And we plan to install the 800-pound rock in a location OTHER than directly on top of the pump vault in case we ever need to access the pump. I hope that makes a difference in your prediction of failure. :-(

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?