Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,072
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Shorthose, H20fwler, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261), 805 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28820 10/31/05 10:54 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have run a bunch of searches to see if this topic has come up before. Does anyone have experience with using the ultraviolet insect attractors/zappers to supplement the feeding of panfish in the summer months? I have heard that there are lower strenght units designed for just that purpose. They stun rather than cook the bugs. Sounds interesting to me.
Regards, Tom Pool

#28821 11/01/05 08:47 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Tom, I purchased a bug-lite fish feeder, however, I have no electric at my pond.

I intended to create a solar charging unit for it, but that has slipped out of site on my to-do list.

It is something I plan to accomplish, and I would like to hear other's comments also.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

#28822 11/01/05 09:28 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sunil, they dont use much power. Should be able to run it a couple hrs. a night for a while on a deep cycle 75-100 amp hr. battery and inverter if AC. The ones with the fan or plastic string and motor would draw more current.

#28823 11/01/05 01:12 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Sunil, can you tell me where you purchased your bug-lite fish feeder? I have no ac at my pond either and won't until I build a house there in a few years. But the solar plan was also my hope. There are so many bugs around any sort of light source in the summer, I would think one could augment the available food markedly and teach the fish to chase my poppers with gusto. Thanks for your input. Regards, Tom

#28824 11/01/05 01:44 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The one we produce runs off 110 volt (have not worked out the kinks for the solar unit yet). A photo cell is mounted on the side so that the unit only turns on at night. A small wire whirls around (quickly) at the bottom cutting off legs or arms or heads. When the bugs hit the water they are wounded but not dead. There are several different manufacturers of similiar units, but I do not have their stats. Regardless of where you purchase this unit, it will pay for itself time and time again. "Free protein" for the fish, and when used in combination with gambusia minnows you can almost be certain of not having a bug problem down at the pond (skeeters, biting flys, ...). I spoke with a customer a few weeks back who had stocked his pond with gambusia and put Bug-O-Matics about every 100 foot around the pond. He irrigated his fields this summer and claimed not to have gotten ONE mosquito bite.
Like I said above, regardless of where you purchase one of these units I believe in them 100%.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

#28825 11/01/05 02:06 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Not tyring to be negative but what do you expect from a bug zapper? Just try this, a client of mine did. He setup a drum under the light for a week during the summer. Understand bugs are free if solar power also free, 110 volt not much power BUT this is not a replacement for a feeder. Anyway he weighted the bugs, <3 ozs in a week when he thought they were as heavy as at any time all year. It will take alot of bugs to makeup for one 50 lb bag of food. I guess my point is it takes awhile to replace the cost of a unit. It is all about your goal, if a six pack and watching fish pop bugs is one of them go for it. ;\)

Deb you have mentioned many times about mosquitoes and gambusia and I have not mentioned anything but it keeps popping up. There are numerous research studeis that show juvenille bluegill will eat as much mosquito larvae as gambusia. Basically if you have bluegill you do not have mosquitoes in the pond. We get lots of calls on this. There are either pot holes of water or really thick vegetation keeping the fish out. Gambusia are fine I have sold them but not neccesary if stocking for the purpose of mosquito control when they have bluegill, IMHO.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
#28826 11/01/05 02:54 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I guess I look at this from two different points of view.
First of all is the food chain. Juvenile bluegill have been proven to eat mosquito larvae, but when in combination with the gambusia the "escape" wigglers (mosquito larvae) are substantially reduced. Gambusia (very prolific) also provide a protein source for the small bluegill to feed on.
Second of all, but most important, is the fact that when it comes to mosquito control this day and age one can NEVER be too careful. One bite, especially with children, could introduce any variety of illnesses. As a mother this is a chance I am not willing to take (adults are at risk also). Minnows do not take alot away from the structural balance of the pond, so I only see them as a benefit.

If there is nothing much to lose (a few bucks?), and a heck of alot to gain (added protein for bluegill, reduction in mosquito populations, and reduction in the chances for potentially fatal mosquito bites) then I say go to for it.

As far as the "zapper" (I do not really like this term, because with our unit the bugs don't die until the fish eat them) is concerned I have seen a higher yield in weight than what you stated (average taken of more than one customer). Could it be that the bugs were killed (not wounded) and lost some volume (granted not alot) over a week's period? If the bugs were fried there would be a bit of a weight difference compared to if they just lost an arm before falling into the water still alive and full of fluids. Either way it would take alot to make up a 50 lb bag of feed, but think of the pleasures of night fishing without slapping the back of your neck every few minutes. Just a thought.

So I still say to stock the gambs, put up a light, and pellet feed. Let's grow some big fish!!!

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

#28827 11/01/05 02:58 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Grimes:
Anyway he weighted the bugs, <3 ozs in a week
I guess that depends on where one lives, and the time of year. In spring and summer here in my part of Louisiana, I can get 3 Oz of bugs up my nose in an hour. \:\)

Seriously, many people quit using bug zappers here because they got tired of scooping up the piles of bugs. Having said that, I have never seen many mosquitoes killed by bug zappers. I don't think they are attracted to UV. I think you would need CO2.

I think I'm going to put one over a corner of my pond so I can sit on the porch and watch the fish strike.

#28828 11/01/05 04:42 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Canepole, Look on my web site under products and click on Bug lite fish feeder for pics and details. These units deposit "live" insects on the pond surface no zapping or stunning. I use three of them in two display ponds here in Ohio from April -October. Ted

#28829 11/01/05 05:39 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Deb agree never be too careful about skitters. I just know that with bluegill in a pond you do not have them. I see your point though. Also not againist the bug lite but have seen folks say well I will get it b/c it is chepaer than fish feeder and food b/c the insects are free. They are not feeding the fish anywhere near as much as they would with a feeder.

Bobad you made me laugh with that one. Ever weighed bugs? He had a hugh pile of bugs but thye just don't weighing anything. What is protein content of them. I'll shutup, enjoy watching the fish eat 'em up just know that overall the math does not compute on significant fish weight gain.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
#28830 11/01/05 06:54 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
There was a discussion about this a few months ago, and someone posted about a homemade contraption. He caught pounds of bugs. Zappers dont get many mosquitos, but lots of heavier insects. They dry up and weigh next to nothing shortly after dieing. The no AC is not a big problem, just read posts about solar aerating etc. All you need is solar panels, deep cycle battery and DC to AC inverter.
I have lots of small BG and shiners, and lots of skeeters and other insects.

#28831 11/01/05 07:12 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have mosquitos but not around the pond.

I saw a show on TV a couple of years ago. "They" tested bug zappers for some extended period. They found lots of dead bugs but none were mosquitos.

#28832 11/01/05 07:13 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Greg,

Yea, You're right. On the down side, flying bugs are very light. On warm days they probably lose 50% or their weight within an hour or 2 of expiring. On the up side, they are probably 90% protein, and have a yummy crunchiness you just can't get in fish pellets.

#28833 11/01/05 07:42 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Recently we had a post about this and I sent pics to a few on the PB forum. My contraption is solar powered, it has a 12 volt light, and a 12 volt fan on the bottom. The bugs fly into the light, and get blown down into the water. The rig runs on a controller that kicks on as dusk, runs for 4-5 hours, then shuts down for the next day. It doesn't cost me anything to run, and the only component that will go out over the next 5 - 10 years is the light bulb. I bought all the stuff off e-bay (except the battery) for the price of 2 bags of fish food.

Seeing that first bug getting inhaled, makes it all worth while \:\)

#28834 11/01/05 08:04 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
The no AC is not a big problem, just read posts about solar aerating etc. All you need is solar panels, deep cycle battery and DC to AC inverter.[/QB]
Burg,

I already have a 45w solar panel for my tractor shed out in the boonies. I have a pair of honking big golf cart batteries and an inverter on which I run a 2hp air compressor, shop vac, diesel fuel pump, grinder, drill, lights, etc. So I have a lot of faith in the reliability and economy of solar.

I may get another solar panel and run a bug crippler. I'll run it directly on 12v. That's because you lose close to 20% of your battery power just converting the current to 110v AC. There's a good selection of compact 12v lamps and small 12v computer fans for $5, so there's no need to convert to 110v AC. Another big advantage is 12v DC is almost totally safe around water. It will be a fun project.

#28835 11/01/05 09:13 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ya'll are right, 12vdc is the way to go, but for those intent on a particular model, or that cant make one themselves, thought I'd throw the 115vac angle in.
Actually the modern inverters draw negligible current when not loaded, and are about 95% efficient. People who want solar aeration and add a bug feeder, AC is an option. At any rate, I think it is well worth the investment. Some fish just wont come to the feeder, and some get off it. It also keeps them wanting to hunt real food. I haven't met a BG that wont eat a bug. 115vac also allows for a lamp timer to cut it on just for a couple hrs. and not have so much solar and battery costs.
Eastland, it sounds like you got hooked up good.

#28836 11/01/05 09:28 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Burger, BOBAD, Eastland,

Someone should consider going "pro" with that product. A solar powered bug zapper would have a market even beyond pond meisters. Combine that with a solar powered aerator (an efffective one) and you would have a nice product line for an ongoing business...heck, you might even get investor backing from certain pond guys...you know guys willing to spend money on a fish that dies every year would be good candidates for investors. \:\)

#28837 11/02/05 06:00 PM
R
R
Mosquitos are not attracted to light.

#28838 11/02/05 06:07 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
Burger, BOBAD, Eastland,

Someone should consider going "pro" with that product. A solar powered bug zapper would have a market even beyond pond meisters. Combine that with a solar powered aerator (an efffective one) and you would have a nice product line for an ongoing business...heck, you might even get investor backing from certain pond guys...you know guys willing to spend money on a fish that dies every year would be good candidates for investors. \:\)
Meadowlark, post well noted. Since we know that air bubbles dont oxygenate the water ;\) , maybe we can heat the water with the air so that people can raise tilapia year round.

#28839 11/02/05 07:36 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
\:D \:D

#28840 11/02/05 10:20 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
Burger, BOBAD, Eastland,

Someone should consider going "pro" with that product.
I'm afraid Burg and Eastland will have to do the honors. All my time is devoted to building a pond digging implement. After that project flops, I move on to the first practical electric fish hook baiter. ;\)

#28841 11/03/05 07:57 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
INgeniuos! I'm the least mechanical guy in my industry. I wish I could do those kinda things. FOr the price of 2 bags of food I would buy one!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
#28842 11/03/05 08:45 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That is a wonderful idea. We have alot of Amish customers (no electricity) that would benefit from the use of both solar units.
I do want to take a moment to clear something up. I have noticed several responses posted above that state "mosquitos are not attracted to light." That is pretty much a given. In fact, the male mosquito prefers sweet smells and the female needs the blood-meal for egg production. Light is not an issue to them.
What I stated in my post on Nov. 1st was "when used in combination with gambusia minnows you can almost be certain of not having a bug problem down at the pond (skeeters, biting flys, ...)."
In other words let the gambs (and juvenile BG) handle the skeeters, and the Bug Light will help remedy the larger insects. Maybe I did not state that correct the first time, and maybe it was just read the wrong way. Sorry if I was not clearer on this!

Do fish actually kiss?

#28843 11/03/05 09:34 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
In fact, the male mosquito prefers sweet smells and the female needs the blood-meal for egg production. Light is not an issue to them.

Pretty much like humans, huh? The male is a sucker for perfume, and the female is a vampire.

Sorry, Deb, couldn't resist.

#28844 11/03/05 10:32 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No apology needed BM! I agree completely, although I prefer being titled a black widow versus a vampire! \:D

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bob Lusk - 03/28/24 10:06 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails