Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,953
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (phinfan, DrLuke, catscratch, jludwig, Don Kennedy, LeighAnn, Bobbss, Jambi), 1,277 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
I looked for a Floating LED Solar Light and I find them, but I only want one that shine a white light not some funky neon light show. Does any one know whee to find one?

I want to use it my pond to attract bugs to help feed my fish.

One acre pond built in 2007.

Stocked:
Mar 2010 500 BG and 250 Shellcrackers
Mar 2011 25 LMB and one bag of FHM

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Here's some, and there's others on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Pack-Solar-Floati...=item1c15c7ce11

J
J
Here is a thought. I bought an LED light at a local store for less then $2 and Walmart has them cheap also. Mine is about a foot long. Possible you could double condom it with a small rock at the bottom to keep it floating upright. I may try that myself. I read that Navy Seals double condom ordinary cameras for underwater picture taking.
The problem was finding some that wasn't lubricated or talcum that didn‘t mess up the lens.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Here is a thought. I bought an LED light at a local store for less then $2 and Walmart has them cheap also. Mine is about a foot long. Possible you could double condom it with a small rock at the bottom to keep it floating upright.
grin
Hey John that's a good idea, but remember when you buy the condoms tell the clerk what your using them for, that's probably one they haven't heard before. laugh

J
J
I don't even think you need a condom for the LED water light. I tried to float mine several different ways and it didn't work. What surprised me is it went under water and still worked. I thought it would short out. What I bought is a cheap yard light you stick in the ground. So I just stuck it in a foot of water. Problem solved. You can take the extension off the light, and so the light might fit in a wide mouth canning jar. With a weight in the jar to keep it upright, you would have a floating light.

What clerk would believe you are buying a condom for a science project. And the condom would cost more then the LED light.

D
OP Offline
D
What I bought is a cheap yard light you stick in the ground. So I just stuck it in a foot of water. Problem solved. You can take the extension off the light, and so the light might fit in a wide mouth canning jar. With a weight in the jar to keep it upright, you would have a floating light.

Well I bought one yesterday and put it in last night. I used a plastic wide mouth jar and it work. The light and jar came to about $9.00.

The one issue was that I saw very few bugs near the light and didn't see fish eating a the few bus I saw.

I may move it to an area of the pond that is darker since my yard light shines on parts of the pond.

Last edited by Dieselscout80; 08/25/11 11:21 AM.

Stocked:

J
J
I noticed the same thing, not many bugs. I did see a moth flying round and round the light. I went back a couple of hours later and the the moth was still flying in circles.

D
OP Offline
D
I noticed the same thing, not many bugs. I did see a moth flying round and round the light. I went back a couple of hours later and the the moth was still flying in circles.

Have you started to see more bugs the longer your light was in place like say after a month?

Stocked:

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
It's possible that your LED lamp doesn't emit the wavelengths of light that attracts insects.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
It's possible that your LED lamp doesn't emit the wavelengths of light that attracts insects.

I wonder if a warm white LED would work better?

Stocked:

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
this isnt floating, but these guys sell floats too, has 1 mile range, they have 2 mile range available, if you are calling bugs for 1 mile then you should have some action

http://www.mercoboatdocks.com/our-produc...ht-1-mile-range

i love my floating dock from these guys

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
The green monster submerged light is good at attacting zooplankton, minnows, and larger fish. I added a BOJO fishing light off the dock [see right corner] to take advantage of the audience every night and it knocks down caddis, moths, mayflies, etc. The BG love them, the SMB love the BG, and so on. The empty bottles attest to the fact one can lose themselves simply watching the drama unfold until the wee hours. The monster has a hypnotic effect on me for sure.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Crazy cool man! Need to call up your Omaha friends next time you're emptying them bottles off the dock! grin

J
J
I can see how my Samuel Adams and the green monster submerged light could be hypnotic but I don't have electricity at my pond. A couple of us were experimenting with floating lights last summer and they weren’t working out that well so I staked one in the water just above the water. As the pond filled higher the light went underwater and actually stayed on for a few nights, then the light went out. I walk my dog day and night and last week we were walking the pond in the dark and that underwater water light came on for a short while and did this several times then went out. I was amazed that this cheap $2 outdoor light could do this. As the pond water drops this summer below the light it will be interesting to see if this light will start operating again.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
TJ, that is way cool!!. I had a BOJO light but it got flooded. I'll get another as soon as my pond fills. Can't wait to sit on the dock and quaff a couple of brewskis and watch the action. Where did you get the GM and how much, if I may be so bold...

Just do it...
Lunker
Lunker
Monster is entertaining and instructional - love watching behavior at night....never knew that my HC would swim sideways or upside down! Crazy. I got mine from Nate when he built my dock for $350 or so I believe. The BOJO bug light is from one of Bob's partners - he's a great guy and they are around $150-$180 I don't recall what I paid exactly. Again they are entertaining and super quiet.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
I can see how my Samuel Adams and the green monster submerged light could be hypnotic but I don't have electricity at my pond. A couple of us were experimenting with floating lights last summer and they weren’t working out that well so I staked one in the water just above the water. As the pond filled higher the light went underwater and actually stayed on for a few nights, then the light went out. I walk my dog day and night and last week we were walking the pond in the dark and that underwater water light came on for a short while and did this several times then went out. I was amazed that this cheap $2 outdoor light could do this. As the pond water drops this summer below the light it will be interesting to see if this light will start operating again.

Sorry I wasn't aware of the lack of electricity I thought you boys were just looking for some submerged lighting options and thought I'd share. I know the monster has a cheaper knockoff - no clue if it operates as well but it's a heckuva lot cheaper.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
Those pictures are amazing tj. How much water is that light sitting in?

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cool pic's TJ! Almost looks like a giant Lava Lamp!

BTW, How is Mushroom season doing? laugh

Lunker
Lunker
About 8' depth off the end of the dock, I have it set 2' off bottom. It's a bright sucker!

We have had incredibly warm temps this Spring, but in my area very little rain, and I've been waiting for some precipitation to get the morels popping. Today I walked my land and found 4 yellows - two of them showed signs of severe dehydration already on the tops. I can't believe that as I was just out walking 4 days ago and saw zero. I might have overlooked them, it might be too early yet, it might be too late, or it might be another miserable year like last year - cold and dry then, hot and dry now.

Just when I think I am starting to figure out morels I have back to back stumper seasons which proves I have absolutely no clue predicting the season progression. It's frustrating, but also adds to the mystique and joy when you really get in a groove and find hundreds...I guess.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ:

You let me know when you're finding 100's and I'll be right over. wink

I don't think we've had rain in the past 4 weeks. My 2 small ponds by the house have dropped 7" just from evaporation alone and I really don't want to look at the measuring stick in the big pond.....

0 Morels here. Too warm too fast, then no precip. The most that I've ever found in one year was 6, and I think I've only found a total of around a dozen on my property since I've owned it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
We just received 3.5" the last 6 hours. Visited ponds and all are full and flowing, even the main pond, which is rare occurance. We have temps in the mid 70s this week, if they don't pop this week I'm clueless.

My record year was 09 - 419 - 25% or so from my land. 75 or so were huge late season yellows from my place - was a perfect setup for the season. My record for one walk with Amy [who has eagle eyes] was 175 in 3 hours. Last two years at my place dropped to 59 and last year 22. I sure hope the trend doesn't continue the downward spiral.

Employee of mine found 250ish yellows just walking his dog in a state park down in Missouri, around Columbia, a couple weeks ago. He doesn't even eat them, gave them to friends. Can you imagine that accidental haul in one casual walk?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We barely got enough to keep the dust down.

I can't imagine finding that many morels and not actively looking for them!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've found 38 this year.. Only went out twice first time was too early second time was almost too late..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I watched Mongo find two.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by DrLuke - 04/25/24 01:05 PM
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build