Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,975
Posts558,101
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (tim k, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Knobber, Brian from Texas, Joe7328, Sunil), 959 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
asiapei Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I work for a Hospital, and we have two ponds. The smaller of the two is electric green right now. It does not have the slimy algae in the middle...just bright green water. I wanted to do the permit and get grass carp...but one of our Einsteins this morning said no....get small Koi instead. They say there are no bass in the ponds just catfish...but I have no clue. We have those white egrets too....are domestic Koi not more susceptable to these types of predators?

Thanks so much....Lisa

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Can you pot a pic? It sounds like a bloom issue, fish won't fix it..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree about the bloom. I go past our local hospital several times a week and it drives me crazy. They have a number of beautiful ponds -- and golf-course quality lawns. More than likely all of the fertilizer that is keeping the grass beautiful is keeping the pond very green, and frequently full of filamentous algae. The only real way to control this is to limit the fertilizer runoff into the pond, or to get lots of plants in the pond to take up the fertilizer nutrients.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I agree about the bloom. I go past our local hospital several times a week and it drives me crazy. They have a number of beautiful ponds -- and golf-course quality lawns. More than likely all of the fertilizer that is keeping the grass beautiful is keeping the pond very green, and frequently full of filamentous algae. The only real way to control this is to limit the fertilizer runoff into the pond, or to get lots of plants in the pond to take up the fertilizer nutrients.

Or add dye and throw expensive chemicals at the pond that may not be conducive to fish and just treat the symptoms. At least that is what I see a lot of corporate ponds do.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
P
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Try adding a bunch of inert substrate to produce the bio film to eat up all the excessive nutrients. Feeds the fish then start culling them like crazy.

A
asiapei Offline OP
OP Offline
A
OK here it is....PLEASE HELP!!! We are a non profit and have not a big budget.

Attached Images
PEA SOUP A.jpg PEA SOUP B.jpg PEA SOUP C.jpg PEA SOUP D.jpg
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ok I see, we got a small pond.. There's some guys on here that can definitely fix that.. I'm not one of them lol..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to PB. Which Hospt. in NO ?

Are there fish in the pond ? If not there are lots of possible fixes.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You have a planktonic algae bloom which means that nutrients primarily nitrogen and phosphorus esp dissolved phos are in high concentrations. Somehow the fertilizer / nutrients got into this pond. Does someone feed the fish? Stop feeding if they are fed. Lots of fish biomass will also contribute to green water esp in a small pond. Maybe get rid of some fish if the pond has lots of fish. Fish food results in fish manure and manure grows plants. It can grow higher level plants or without higher plants it grow microscopic plants i.e. green water. Consider getting some water hyasinth for this green water pond. The hyasinth from local water garden place or the wild will use the nutrients instead of the microalgae. Number of plants will depend on size of pond. Plants will multiply quickly so if patient, in several weeks the water should begin to clear. It will probably take quite a few hyasinth to clear the water quickly. The chemical approach is to use Cutrine-plus liquid. Buy a gallon abt $32-$38, read the instructions and apply accordingly. It will be helpful if someone can calculate or measure the gallons of water in this pond. I or someone can help calculate amount of Curtine if needed. Cutrine is a copper based chemical similar to copper sulfate which could be used but it is easier to kill fish with copper sulfate.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/11/12 08:11 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
asiapei Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Touro Hospital Woldenberg Village on the West Bank. Ok, we tried the first fix we were advised about....I will keep eveyone posted we just made the slurry and put it in the pond this morning.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING US!!!!

Lisa Myers

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 04:33 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/01/24 02:46 PM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/01/24 01:36 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 11:29 AM
New pond stocking
by Sunil - 05/01/24 10:43 AM
RES in new pond with no plants
by RAH - 05/01/24 09:40 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food