Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,072
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Shorthose, H20fwler, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261), 805 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#287145 04/08/12 03:04 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hey all I'm currently experiencing a fish kill. First known in 35 year history of this pond. On one hand it's a bummer, on the other like Rotenone from GOD!
Last summer I took a new interest in my pond. I had the tube replaced and the water level increased by 3 feet.I dont wish to sound redundant, but that's where it's all began in my opinion so far. The water came to full pool in about 3 weeks. I had a 15 foot wide band around my pond, with dense pondweed.
As the water rose, the existing PW lived, and filled in to the shore. I also have been in the process of ridding the pond of CC, and GSF and natural hybridized BG. Being new to the whole world of pond management, I thought it would be a task, difficult but not impossible. I had considered rotenone, but thought hey it will be fun.

This spring, with it's unusually warm weather, my pond came to life very rapidly. BG feeding great and growing nicely.FA coming in early, and I could see the Pondweed coming into growth.

Last summer I fished and caught a ridiculous amount of small GSF. I thought I was doing a number on them. This spring, it was like I had never caught a GSF last summer. I also noticed I had an enormous amount of BG coming to hit feed. It would take 2 tons of AM to grow these to decent size.

After taking out over 100 CC majority of over 2 lbs., I thought I had put a decent dent in the CC. I did, but there's still alot to go. These boogers started hitting my feed, and now saw at least 30 big CC to go.

About a week ago, I threw some floater into the shallowsat night. I got my 2 million CP spotlight out........My God. Big golden shiners everywhere, and CC. My pond was way over populated to say the least.

A few days ago, we had a nice cold front come through. 4" of cold rain over about 2 days, and cool daytime and nighttime temps. We had 3 days of 90* weather led by several days of 80's.One day 90, the next day 65. The FA that was floating disappeared. The PW I was talking about earlier, is now dead and decaying.

As far as I can tell, the cold water had dropped my floating FA, and colder temps,killing my PW, causing a decent vegetation dieoff, and crashing my DO. Is that a reasonable assumption? I think it will take a few more days for the PW to fully decay.

Last night I had some fish actually feeding. I took a row around the pond today, and saw the large amounts of dieing PW.I am still seeing stressed fish in the dieing process.The water is more clear than I've ever seen it before. I can see at least 6 foot to the bottom inplaces, and It's like I'm in a glass bottom boat.

I'm almost happy, because now, I can restock, and restock properly. I know there will probably be some GSF and CC when this is all over, but nothing like what I had. I needed new BG genetics, as these were probably so inbred and side bred, it wasnt funny.

I will probably start with some fatheads in about 3 weeks, I'm also going to try and locate some award winning BG.I assume my zooplankton will skyrocket, now that my hungry little mouths are gone.

I probably sound like a freak hey?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I doNt think everything will die in your pond and you will still need to rotenone..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
OP Offline
J
I dont think so either.....

"I'm almost happy, because now, I can restock, and restock properly. I know there will probably be some GSF and CC when this is all over, but nothing like what I had. I needed new BG genetics, as these were probably so inbred and side bred, it wasnt funny."

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
James,

Get the rotenone and get 'er done! I'd feel the same way you do. Good to hear there is silver lining in this.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would definitely start with a clean slate.. And wipe everything out.. You prolly won't get a better chance..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
OP Offline
J
Dam the bad luck. Fish kill is over. Fish feeding decent tonight, not like they were. Many YP still with me. God I lost alot of fish.I'm at loose ends.probably 1200 or better dead BG/GSF, at the waters edge. more on the bottom. I have only found maybe a dozen YP and 3 WE.
YP feeding well tonight. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Why the onslaught of sunfishes, and what appears to be low mort on my favorites? Ratios and percentages or something hit my sunfishes? An act of God maybe? I'm almost serious.

I feel like the widow hen.....

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's nature's way of thinning things out. We're next some day when the plant gets overpopulated.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
OP Offline
J
New information. I thought I smelled something last week....Aphids in the wheat....Lorsban. Chlorpyrifos. Highly toxic to fish, even toxic to some plants. Any chemists? Chlor in chlorpyrifos means "chlorine" basically right? With Fos meaning phosphorous. wouldnt phytoplankton readily take it up only to be nuked by the chlor molecule?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bob Lusk - 03/28/24 10:06 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails