Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,078
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (4CornersPuddle, Boondoggle, catscratch, FishinRod, Dave Davidson1, esshup, Knobber), 935 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hello,
We have just built a pond (16'x26' approximately) that is kind of kidney shaped with a wall between the two "lobes" to hold in plants on the one side. This boggy end is about 1-2 feet deep. The other side has a swimming "hole" about 4-5 feet deep with shallower shelves above that.

The intent was to create a healthy eco-system that would keep this pond clean enough for safe swimming. I envision more dipping than actual swimming for this cooling-off water feature. We are in Thonotosassa, Florida and it gets HOT here!

I've tried to add photos by attaching a file and by inserting one, sorry if it didn't work! [img:right]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1...&permPage=1[/img]

* We have added some goldfish - so far so good, only 1 out of 12 died and that was probably from shock.
* It has a pump, filtration system, two little "waterfalls" that really just go from the pipes into the pond spilling over a low ledge.
* There are 2 aeration pipes (they hook into the plumbing and stick up like a periscope to suck in more air).
* There is no chance of run off getting into it as it has a berm around it

Initially (it's been about 1.5 months since we filled it, we have well water) after about 2 or so weeks we went through a green phase, but the water is so nice and clear now.

I'd like to test for ameobas and bad bacteria but need some guidance. Where to get tests done, what's a bad/good level of "stuff", what should I look out for, can I do this at home?

Any constructive criticism, thoughts, advice?

Thanks -

PS
I didn't know where to post this... so put it here -

"both feet firmly planted in mid-air"

Jennifer Swan Hopkins
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Check with your local health dept for some ideas for testing labs in your area. For better water quality and fewer problems I suggest that you do not feed the fish and do not let them become abundant. Harvest remove some annually as they become numerous.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'd get rid of the Goldfish.. The will become a pain in the /\$$.. And I'll go with Bill definitely check with your local health dept..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your answers Bill and Blue -
* Why get rid of the goldfish? Specifically what kind of problems - just the water quality, you mean, or is it more serious like they harbor amoebas or something horrible for humans? Why will they become more of a PITA?

To be honest, we got cheap little feeder fish from Walmart because we figured the local storks etc. would be stopping by for snacks;- ) We weren't expecting them to all be around once our "Take Out" got discovered.
* I will quit feeding them. They all hide when I do anyway...
* Can I put something else in such a "small" pond, like actual fish? How about turtles or something? Koi? I'd like to have something swimming around and living in there -or is that where problems arise with water quality?

I'd love to have some bluegill or something - but we figured our pond was too small.

MWAH, ty again xx

Jennifer Swan Hopkins
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Goldfish to me are nothing more than colorful carp. Carp root around in the bottom for food, stirring up the water. Personally, I feel the same way about Koi. I'd put in 25 RES and take out enough per year to eat and also to keep their numbers down. RES don't spawn as many times as BG, so they are controlled easier. You could also put in ONE largemouth bass. I say one because you don't want them spawning in your pond. I wouldn't put turtles in there if you will be swimming. Some might find their way to the pond on their own.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Goldfish are not as bad as koi or carp for rooting in the sediments. Goldfish can cause water clarity problems when there are too many and they start searching the sediments for food items, thus my suggestion to keep their numbers low. Eight to 12 goldfish would be plenty in your size of pond. You shouldn't have fish to human parasite issues with the fish. One small largemouth bass 4"-5"-7" long should help you keep the numbers of goldfish low. Inplace of your current fish you could add 4-8 male bluegill. No reproduction and they would keep insects/bugs to a minimum. To learn more about selecting only male BG do homework and study the info in the informative link below an PM me if you need more help. Remember only keep those BG that definately have the largest ear tabs indicating male gender. Dark spots on the forehead are also characteristic of males.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21481

Does the pond have a drain?? Sediments from decayed plants internal and wind blown will gradually accumulate about 1"+/- per year in the pond and contribute to water stain and possibly cloudy water? Sediments should be periodically removed in a pond for your long term goals.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/05/12 09:38 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
OP Offline
S
This is wonderful info guys, ty again -

You mean I can have REAL fish? I never thought we would be able to have a bass! He'd love our pond;- ) What's the minimum depth for these real fish (LMB & BG), is there one?

Do we just go catch 'em??? Or, do we buy good, healthy fishes from somewhere? (now don't laugh at me, I'm ignorant and trying to learn!)

What's an RES?

Re: the drain - no, but we do get in there and clean out the boggy part and pick out leaves etc., and we have a filtering system, too. We have an intentional low spot that runs into a ditched area for overflow purposes.

Jennifer Swan Hopkins
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's no minimum so to speak, seeing that you are in Florida, you don't have to worry about the fish freezing out. The water might get too warm if it's too shallow, but I think you'll be O.K, with the 4'-5' depth. I'd be more concerned that you had enough O2 in the pond. But, if you keep the fish numbers low, that shouldn't be a problem either.

RES = Red Eared Sunfish. They are recommended for swimming ponds because supposedly they "nibble" at people less. BG don't have teeth that you have to worry about anyway. wink grin

fish acronyms

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
What do you have for structure and habitat?

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for your posts Peepaw and Esshup.

Our pond has rock and aquatic vegetation at this point, but I think I could put in some pipe left-overs from our French drain project to give them a place to swim into, and maybe some other hidey-hole type stuff, I'm creative - I'll figure something out.

The 4-5' deep hole is for us to swim in, so I don't want structure sticking up. If they want to go down there, that's fine - but the only structure that's there now is gravel and a vinegar bottle filled with rocks I'm using as an anchor for my plant island. The pond is shaded most of the day, but there are rock overhangs, the island, and trees that provide cover and shade.

Just so you understand, this is just a small backyard swim-pond - my fish will be (I hope this isn't a dirty word around here) pets. I'll only have a few, like suggested above, two sunnies and a bass. I figure they'll eat the goldfish I put in there, or at least most of them, so that will take care of the possible over population.

If you have access to FaceBook, look at my albums of my project. We dug it out of hard-pan clay by hand. It broke the Terramite we tried to use... so we had to use a pick axe. I did try to post pictures, but it didn't work before;- (

#1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150555274545922.376679.720390921&type=3

#2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150623892040922.386424.720390921&type=3

#3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150639229805922.388756.720390921&type=3

Anyhow, I wish with all my heart I had a pond (and land!) like those I've seen from members on this forum. I am absolutely amazed at their sizes and how wonderfully done they are. Not only beautiful, but thoughtfully well-cared for. A source of recreation and food - just really impressive. I'd be jealous if I wasn't happy for you all. Someday, guys, someday...

PS, re O2:
I'm thinking of making a small windmill aerator for more O2 and in case of a power outage - right now we have the pump, two "waterfalls", and two periscope thingies sticking up from the circulation/plumbing/pipe that supplies the waterfalls, that sucks in additional O2.

Jennifer Swan Hopkins
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With the couple of fish, you will be fine in regards to the O2 in your pond. The good thing about a couple of fish, is that if one goes belly up, it's easily replaced!

Here's some pictures of when I renovated my pond.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=151543

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
OP Offline
S
Esshup - wow. Wow wow wow. That is stunning!

PS
It's my husband's b'day the 11th, I just ordered him 2 bluegill and 1 sunfish as his present;- ) I specified all males... we'll see! The bass aren't big enough to ship yet so they'll have to wait.

Jennifer Swan Hopkins
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I want fish for my birthday!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/30/24 09:40 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
New pond stocking
by Knobber - 04/30/24 09:26 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday