Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024), 1,056 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#283231 03/08/12 09:28 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
This will be limited to those who can pick up or close proximity for delivery. We will begin removal of bass next week, let me know if anyone if interested. The full story is here on the blog. As well as pic of impressive bass growths we have been acheiving. We hope to update the bass progress next week and submit an aritcle for Pondboss with the full story sometime soon.

http://lakework.com/site/blog/

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This is a very good testimony for plenty of proper type and size of forage combined with good genetics and wise management that includes thinning of the bass numbers. Not letting one year class get too abundant is an important part of growing large fish, thus your bass for sale promotion. Good work Greg. Those for sale bass should make some good stockers.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/08/12 09:46 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Interesting thanks....

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah it's amazing what you can do when you have the cash to do it!! Looks awesome guys and great job!! I hope Jeff is enjoying it as he should!! He is a good guy and I was glad I got to meet him once when he was here in Little Rock at that time still a stand up Comedian back in the early 90's at the Comedy House. He was as funny as it gets then and still is!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I don't think those big fish are primarily about having the cash. Growing big fish is more about doing things properly and paying attention to details like proper forage, decent or even average genetics, and managing predator fish so they are not crowded so ample forage is always present so fish are ALWAYS fat & growing. IMO most try to grow too many big fish per acre considering the available forage and the lack of knowledge about how to properly DO it. Most of the credit no doubt goes to Greg Grimes' good management.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/08/12 09:58 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Foxworthy would put his name on tree limbs if he could make money selling them.. I like the dude but that price on fish from a guy who's rich and doesn't actually need the fish is crazy.. No offense meant to anyone if I could buy them or do the same thing I would lol..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
A gal here in MI won 1 million dollars last fall in the lottery. She got busted recently because she was still sucking off of government assistance from the State. Fraud, and a stay in a friendly hotel for a time are in her future.

Lawyers will make sure that the money is distributed to "them" in proper fashion.

Why did I post this?

I agree with Bill!

Fish don't know how much money you got! And some people are really stupid!!!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
BGK, can you give us some examples of Jeff endorsing or representing things just to make money? I have spent time with him on a couple of occasions and have not seen examples of this. A couple of people I know very well are pretty close to him and they have never indicated that he was just out to make money.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Look up the episode of Leno making fun of him for endorsing everything.. Just off the top of my head how bout foxworthy's beef jerky and foxworthy's grilling sauce? Or foxworthys greeting cards and yearly calendars lol.. Or the fact he hosted a show about being smarter than a fifth grader? I've read somewhere he makes cuts from all the blue comedy guys still (which he should he founded it).. I love jeff foxworthy's skit.. He's a business man and a very smart man.. He knows what he's doin.. But if his names on something it's 100% for the paycheck.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Points well made, reminds me of how everybody talked about how cheap Jack Benny was when in fact he was a very generous man. Public personna and private conduct are often quite different.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I bet he's awesome in person.. He has no reason to seem like he's out for money because he's prolly not he's already rich lol (100 mil net worth).. Like I said I'd do the same thing if I could.. I'd love to be able to sell my throw away BG for top price, or put my name on beef jerky and get paid for it..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Someone is Jealous! and having a hard time!!!

Get over it, because He ain't you!, and you are not Him!!! smile

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I have a local customer that may want some of these bass for his SMB pond I just treated with Alum...If I go down I would be happy to bring some back with me for our midwest guys to reduce everyones transport costs. Or if someone just wants to say they have one of the funniest guy ever's fish in his pond...I can air freight them just about anywhere.

My client is needing only 20 females to help control an explosion of BG in the pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Impressive fish Greg... You deserve to be proud of what you have accomplished and I hope Jeff is paying you well! Or at least letting you use his name to get an even bigger client base. I can't wait to see how large those bass get in the years to come. Do you have a deal where Jeff pays you a bonus if you grow a 20 pound bass for him? HAHA

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm interested Rex.. PM me when you get a chance..

PS- Not one bit jealous of Jeff lol

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Not really the intent of the post to talk about Jeff. I guess I'm naive to think some if this would not come up.  He is a great guy and his money is being used in many ways to glorify God not even known by most.  He has worked hard for his name. If he makes money off it I have no problem with that especially when it is given back in such a way. 

Thanks Bill for the comments. It is not just the money and it is not just the management. He did what we told him to do and the results have been incredible. He too had a budget on the lake. The point is we are showing what can be done on bass growth if done the right way. Not everyone will choose to spent the money on more forage than the norm nor manage it with aeration feeding fertilization harvest etc. 

These prices are only slightly elevated over other hatchery prices. The name is cool to some but these are awesome fish over 100 prct WR and young with good genetics. That was the point I hoped to make  to most PBers. 
CJ you nailed it on using name to hopefully get more clients. That is what is happening now.

Thanks Rex let me know when your headed down and I can let you know what we have. Shocking the lake first time since last fall and excited to see what we roll up. 

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Stupid comment on my part.. But I didn't mean anything negative towards Jeff or you.. Moderators can erase my whole involvement in the conversation.. I want some of these fish for exact reasons listed above.. Greg is top of the heap in the south prolly much of the country.. And Jeffs pretty awesome too lol..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
RC,
Basically he said the thread got completely off topic..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Stupid comment on my part.. But I didn't mean anything negative towards Jeff or you.. Moderators can erase my whole involvement in the conversation.. I want some of these fish for exact reasons listed above.. Greg is top of the heap in the south prolly much of the country.. And Jeffs pretty awesome too lol..

BK what you said was in no way harsh. You have the right to say it joking or otherwise. Just because someone disagrees with a moderator doesn't mean that moderator is right either? Opinions are opinions we all have them. And it does take cash even doing this on my own and I suck at it, it still takes cash! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
RC,
Basically he said the thread got completely off topic..

I agree with that and I guess I had some part in that! Sorry guys.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
RC - Opinions are opinions we all have them. Yes but they are not all equal. laugh

RC - Just because someone disagrees with a moderator doesn't mean that moderator is right either? I am glad you put that as a question. cry

Just kidding - have to pick at RC a little.

I try to never say anything that could be seen as negative towards someone without a lot of thought first. Written words can easily be taken out of context as the emotion and nature that they are made in does not transfer to the written word. I learned a long time ago that I like to wear my shoes not chew on them.

Back on track - Greg tell us about the genetics and sources of the Foxworthy LMB.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
RC - Opinions are opinions we all have them. Yes but they are not all equal. laugh

RC - Just because someone disagrees with a moderator doesn't mean that moderator is right either? I am glad you put that as a question. cry

Just kidding - have to pick at RC a little.

I try to never say anything that could be seen as negative towards someone without a lot of thought first. Written words can easily be taken out of context as the emotion and nature that they are made in does not transfer to the written word. I learned a long time ago that I like to wear my shoes not chew on them.

Back on track - Greg tell us about the genetics and sources of the Foxworthy LMB.

I love it!! laugh And you are right eric sometimes things can be taken wrong quickly in a post and it was not meant that way. I will take your advise and learn from it! smile

Last edited by RC51; 03/09/12 04:17 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest

Yes, I'm a moderator. I'm sure I'm going to sound like I'm lecturing. And yes, I'm disappointed that this thread has gone a little negative in places.

However, I really hope that Greg will tell us a lot more about what he has done. We all have so much to learn from this.

Originally Posted By: RC51
... it's amazing what you can do when you have the cash to do it!!

I only say this with great respect to RC, and my posting is not meant in any negative way.

My comments are simply to emphasize that many Pond Boss's have done incredible things with very minimal cash, using mostly ingenuity, and they have succeeded especially because of the feedback and exchange of ideas from other Pond Boss forum members and magazine contributors.

In my years on the forum I have seen some incredible fish improvements and pond developments by people who I believe would challenge the thought of anyone thinking they may be wealthy.

I'll start by picking on my friend Cecil Baird.

I just wish I had a picture of Cecil's record yellow perch. The thing is monstrous. Cecil lets very little get in his way, including his lack of spendable income. (Cecil is the guy who taught many of us that "to make a small fortune in aquaculture, start with a big fortune.)

Oh sure, Bruce Condello is that extremely wealthy dentist (also a moderator, and keeper of BigBluegill.com). He is from Kornfield Kilopolis, Nebraska, a town where the population more than doubles when they host a college football game. Bruce scientifically developed his own strain of bluegill that grow really fast, are gigantic, and are extremely robust (Condello Strain Bluegill -- CSB).

Crazy Cecil Baird got hold of some, did a little more work, and now we have Bardello Strain Bluegill (BSB), with even more vigor. A few other Pond Boss members are rearing these fish now.

I guess what I'm saying, is that it mainly takes ingenuity and drive -- but in particular, it takes the sharing of dreams, ideas and information, to improve what we have in our ponds.

If it wasn't for Pond Boss, and all of the contributor's ideas and suggestions, I'd have just another minimal bass-bluegill farm pond. Instead, my main pond is highly productive with more than I ever envisioned. Just today, I pulled out a 2-lb., red-eared sunfish that was 12 inches long, and well over 2-inches thick Fat Sunfish

Our small "Mongo Ponds" (blame these on Pond Boss member "Mongo" aka Dave Sefton) are thriving with other fish, all because of our sharing, and our exchange of ideas. These Mongo Ponds are just small holes in our red clay, that are smaller than most in-ground swimming pools.

Let's grow (and enjoy) lots of big fish.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Cat no offense taken at all! I am just saying money talks and gives you a whole lot more avenues and ability for a quality pond / lake that's all. I didn't mean anything ugly about it at all. What Greg does and can do is awesome bar none. I wish I could hire him!!

thanks,

Last edited by RC51; 03/09/12 08:29 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What about George's CNBG - incredible genes in those fish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...