Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,921
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
12 members (Sunil, canyoncreek, Jward87, catscratch, Joe7328, DrewSh, teehjaeh57, jludwig, Shorthose, Justin W, Don Kennedy, Kanon M), 854 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#282531 03/01/12 08:42 PM
S
OP Offline
S
New member here, just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I'm a native of the Rockport/Aransas Pass area and an avid salt water fisherman. I do however wet a line in freshwater every once in a while. I'm a married father of 3 and work primarily in the offshore oil & gas industry. Looking forward to asking some questions here and learning what it will take to successfully dig a freshwater pond in the sandy soil that I call home.....cheers!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome aboard Skinnerback!!!

it'll take some good clay or a liner along with a good pond builder, planning, and most importantly...$$$'s laugh

Rainman #282542 03/01/12 09:38 PM
J
J
Hello Skinnerback. I have cousins in SanAntonio, and I like to go to Port A while I'm there. Been out on the Scat Cat a couple of times, and booked passage on Taryn'ItUp twice. I'm jealous,the best fishing is off the oilrigs and standpipes. By the jetties at Port A all I'm able to catch is those stinkin Gafftop.Always trying for the Bullreds, and sheepshead.Welcome to PondBoss!

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
Rainman #282543 03/01/12 09:38 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Rainman

it'll take some good clay or a liner along with a good pond builder, planning, and most importantly...$$$'s laugh

Yeh I love the $$$ part of it smile

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: JamesBryan
Hello Skinnerback. I have cousins in SanAntonio, and I like to go to Port A while I'm there. Been out on the Scat Cat a couple of times, and booked passage on Taryn'ItUp twice. I'm jealous,the best fishing is off the oilrigs and standpipes. By the jetties at Port A all I'm able to catch is those stinkin Gafftop.Always trying for the Bullreds, and sheepshead.Welcome to PondBoss!

Thanks James, I love the jetties smile Many a fish fry have come from there smile

Rainman #282545 03/01/12 09:51 PM
S
OP Offline
S

I have someone who will dig the pond for me as long as he can take most of the dirt-sand. The plumbing & electrical side of it I can do myself. Just need to know if I need a liner or not, clay or not? I'm new to this. I've always wanted a nice stocked pond, just something different I guess smile

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Skinnerback
New member here

You made it Skinner!
When I saw you on TFF I knew you'd be a great fit over here.
You'll get lots of great advice from these folks.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Zep #282551 03/01/12 10:08 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Zep
New member here

You made it Skinner!
When I saw you on TFF I knew you'd be a great fit over here.
You'll get lots of great advice from these folks.

Thanks Zep! I enjoy learning and definitely want to learn more before I start my pond project. Thank you for recommending this forum, haven't had much time to sniff around yet but looks like there are some perty edumicated fellers on here lol.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's my take on your options:

1) Dig the pond, no clay or membrane liner. Hope like heck that you hit a high groundwater table. Even at that, your pond will be at the mercy of the groundwater fluctuations. I have a sand pond, not enough clay to line it and it (groundwater level) will bounce almost 6' in height. I knew that going into the renovation, and dug the pond down to 22' depth to prepare for the fluctuations.

2) Dig the pond, line it with 18"-24" of clay, properly compacting it in 6" lifts with a sheepsfoot roller.

3) Dig the pond, line it with a 60 mil thick pond liner made of EDPM Rubber or something like that. There will have to be vents placed in the liner so gasses under it don't cause it to bubble up. A bottom drain should be installed, or you might be able to get away with a siphon if the terrain allows it. You'll have to do a lot of searching for liner information, and if it was mine, and decided to go the liner route, I'd get someone experienced doing that big of a job (installing the liner).

4) I'd also look/research to see if a well was feasible. During dry spells, it would make the difference between a live pond or a dead, dry bathtub.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #282572 03/02/12 07:21 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Welcome Skinnerback - saw you on TFF.
Rockport is my old stomping grounds - lived there many years ago.
Headed down that way soon for fishin' and visiting.
Don't know about sandy ponds but a bunch of these PB folks do.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #282573 03/02/12 07:33 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks guys! I already have a water well in place & our water table is normally pretty high....except for last year with the horrible drought we were in. I'll do some more research on liners....

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

I have someone who will dig the pond for me as long as he can take most of the dirt-sand. The plumbing & electrical side of it I can do myself. Just need to know if I need a liner or not, clay or not? I'm new to this. I've always wanted a nice stocked pond, just something different I guess smile

Skinner, are there other ponds near your site? We hear sandy soil and think leaks and no clay, but there may well be some clay nearby that would make a seal-able pond possible.

Getting a pond "built" takes far more knowledge that the average dirt mover knows or cares about even with the best of soil conditions. Having someone do the basic pool area for the spoils is an awesome budget saver, but you don't want a huge, free hole/mud puddle afterward.

I still suggest contacting Mike Otto would be a great starting point. It cost FAR less to build even a difficult pond to begin with than it does to repair mistake or leaks after it gets wet.

Rainman #282860 03/05/12 10:50 AM
S
OP Offline
S

Skinner, are there other ponds near your site? We hear sandy soil and think leaks and no clay, but there may well be some clay nearby that would make a seal-able pond possible.

Getting a pond "built" takes far more knowledge that the average dirt mover knows or cares about even with the best of soil conditions. Having someone do the basic pool area for the spoils is an awesome budget saver, but you don't want a huge, free hole/mud puddle afterward.

I still suggest contacting Mike Otto would be a great starting point. It cost FAR less to build even a difficult pond to begin with than it does to repair mistake or leaks after it gets wet.

Roger that, thanks for the advice I may holler at him.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by Jward87 - 04/23/24 11:37 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Kanon M - 04/23/24 11:04 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM