First post, but have been tuned in for several months now....... Lots of experts here so I figured I would take advantage of all the brain power.

Just dug a new pond on my property (Jan, 2012) and it is approx. 8/10's of an acre...... Avg depth at around 8'. There is lots of clay underwater that is bringing the PH to around 6.0 - 6.2. The water source is runoff from my pasture which has been used for nothing but hay for the last few years. (Except for last year when the total rainfall was less than an inch for the entire year. These questions are probably going to come across as elementary, but here goes.....

PH....... It seems that the PH wants to stabilize in the low 6's. I have used hydrated lime which causes the PH to sharply spike and then slowly come back down in the low 6's..... My question is: Can I get a load (dump trailer) full of crushed lime stone and spread it in the water on the bank that the water enters the pond and not worry about the PH stabilizing at a high value? The way that I understand it is that by adding ag lime or crushed lime stone to the water that I can’t add too much. If the PH drops below a neutral value (7ish), then the acidic water will begin to dissolve the lime stone to try to balance the PH. Is this the case? Is it possible to add too much lime stone to the pond?

Question #2 pertains to settling the clay with ALUM. This seems to work like magic as I have added 150lbs and had remarkable results.... I just need to add more to clear the total volume. If I add an excess amount, will it remain in the water to settle any clay that washes into the pond from runoff if it were to rain enough prior to the grass being established?

Thanks in advance for your replys.

BH