Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (RogersTailgate, anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1), 658 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I found this pic on the Internet.

Apparently Mrs. Brown in the picture is using it on her Fish farm (converted from a Dairy Barn) for shrimp culture. Also in the pic is Rob Rode a researcher and manager of Purdue University's Aquaculture lab. I just found this and I'm contacting them about the pros and cons. (They're both in Indiana and I know them.)

These things are much less in price than conventional metal swimming pools and easier to ship. I see a 15 foot pool is in the mid 300 range with free shipping anywhere in lower continental U.S.from Ebay.

Anyone have one for swimming? If so how do they hold up?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/28/12 10:27 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
D
I don't have any in use but I do have a smaller 8' x 15" wading pool that I was planning to use for a smaller experiment. I just think its funny that we're on the same page. The reviews that I read about them are all good, durability wise (for swimming) the biggest complaint is the filters are hard to find for some models (which I don't think will be a problem for aquaculture).
Toysrus actually looks pretty good for these intex pools as far as price. Plus you can read the reviews there.

The one below is the one I am thinking about getting for redear/bg breeding experiments.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4042568
Edit: pasted wrong link.

Last edited by DMRBG; 02/29/12 12:51 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the comments. Actually probably wouldn't be using the pumps or filter that comes with the pool. I can make an awesome gravity fed mechanical filter out of 55 gallon drum and deer fence netting.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/29/12 01:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
D
Deer fence netting huh? I'd love to see a build thread on this or even just a picture or 2 next time you make one.

D
D
Originally Posted By: DMRBG
Deer fence netting huh? I'd love to see a build thread on this or even just a picture or 2 next time you make one.

Correction, I think I found some pictures here.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=227716

Do you just pack the barrel with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Scale-Aquaculture-Steven-Gorder/dp/0967773202

This book looks really good, its too bad that the auto-price adjust scripts that the sellers are using have glitched each other out in an upward bidding war.

I highly doubt the book is selling for 2.5K.

Last edited by DMRBG; 02/29/12 01:39 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A new edition is coming out any day now. Steven VanGorder, the author says it's at the printers. He's given me numerous coupons to get it at the reduced price of $16.00. If you P.M. me your snail mailing address, I can send you a coupon free of charge. I get nothing from it, just the satisfaction of knowing others have access to a good book.

BTW, Dr. VanGorder was shaking his head at the list price on Amazon. Says he just couldn't figure it out.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/29/12 04:43 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DMRBG
[/quote]

Correction, I think I found some pictures here.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=227716

Do you just pack the barrel with it?

Yes I do. And cleaning it is really easy with a garden hose and nozzle.

There are two ways to set it up the way I see it:

1.) Water comes in from the fish tank via a utube siphon (simple to build out of 2 inch PVC) as it compensates for water being pulled out of the barrel by a small pump that sits on top of the filter material (deer fence netting). The water coming into the barrel traps the solids in the netting.

The utube siphon is temporarily capped and water drained via a bottom drain in the tank as the netting is spray off of debris.

2.) The same as above but there is also a center drain in the fish tank to the bottom of the barrel where settleable solids settle to be flushed out when the barrel and filter material are cleaned.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/24/12 10:38 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I did not read the entire thread, but Intex is a solid manufacturer!

I would not hesitate at all, if that were my direction.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
I did not read the entire thread,...

Then you missed the part about the price of tea in China! grin

D
D
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
A new edition is coming out any day now. Steven VanGorder, the author says it's at the printers. He's given me numerous coupons to get it at the reduced price of $16.00. If you P.M. me your snail mailing address, I can send you a coupon free of charge. I get nothing from it, just the satisfaction of knowing others have access to a good book.

BTW, Dr. VanGorder was shaking his head at the list price on Amazon. Says he just couldn't figure it out.

Sounds good, sending you my snail mail address now.

So about what happened to the listing price on his book. I'm a programmer by trade so I already had a rough idea of what was going on but there is an article I found about an even more extreme scenario. Also I actually read a case study about this exactly this kind of thing for an AI class. On Amazon the sellers use scripts/bots programs to automatically set and adjust their prices for them because managing thousands of items your self would be tedious. Well there is a problem with this when you have 2 or more sellers of an item that all have the same style of heuristic (sell my item for 5% more than the price of the highest seller or something to that effect). Bot A sets the price at $20, 5 min later Bot B sets the price at $21 for his copy of the book, 5 min later bot A sees that the price it is using to calculate its sell price has changed and adjusts its price to $22 etc. etc. The case study was about how bots need to be more intelligent and know when they are in a bidding war or competing with other bots and know when to stop.

Below is a relevant article:
Amazon’s $23,698,655.93 book about flies
http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Personally if I was a seller, I wouldn't let this kind of thing happen because whats the point of listing an item if no one is going to buy it not to mention the legal liability if someone accidentally buys a million dollar item.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I agree. Sounds like a plausible explanation. You would think Amazon would notice the ridiculous price.

My brother is in the process of publishing a book on railroad history and isn't sure he wants to deal with Amazon. He says there are other problems that other authors have told him about. One author says Amazon orders the books from him 2 or 3 times a week vs. just that many books once a week or the same amount less often. The same author also says they send him books back they claim he sent damaged when it was obvious the box was damaged by a forklift probably at Amazon.

Amazon also gets a really big cut on a book. Don't quote me but I think he said 40 percent of the list price?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/29/12 09:51 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:36 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images