Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#279892 02/05/12 06:59 AM
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
With the exception of some notable storms like the current one hitting Denver, the Northern part of the US is having a mild winter.

Other than the whining about no ice fishing, what effects are there on flora and fauna when this occurs?

I can think of lack of melting snow pack for streams, ponds and ground water. Maybe too many weakened or older deer and elk survival and some plant life that might need freezing.

What are the negative effects that could and will occur?

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/05/12 07:00 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Dave up here they're already predicting there will be more insects this spring due to the milder winter, and the deer population should be larger too.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Plants and tree buds are emerging which will be killed off thus weakening trees and plants. I also have seen frogs active which cannot be good for them when there are no insects, and cold weather is bound to return. The foraging honey bees are also wasting energy. This is certainly not the first mild winter, but it is one of the longest January thaws that I can remember.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I don't believe my ground ever truly froze, at least not yet. the Crocuses are coming up, wasps are everywhere, I saw a huge bullfrog reposing on the bottom in shallow water on pond #2. I am fairly certain that my cherries, peaches, and apples will take a hit as they are too far along for this time period.

I hope the insects aren't worse this Spring, the annual infestation of Buffalo Gnats nearly pushed me over the edge last year, I don't want to ponder the possibility of an even larger hatch....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Well Dave,

We are not in a lack of precipitation, just not in the form of snow. 1 inch of rain is about = to 1 foot of snow. We have had some rain this winter.

There is a NWS (national weather service) flood advisory for Kalamazoo County. And that is probably due to melting snow.

One big problem could be if the Apple and Cherry Trees Blossom early and a Freeze follows. I love those dark Cherries, but they ain't cheap anymore.

As far as wildlife. We had a very good growing season last year, so there should have been enough food. The Cougars the MDNR denies releasing wink should have had an impact on the elderly deer population. The deer I have seen were quite healthy and robust. We need to thin out the Squirrels. There are so many of them and they get into everything. My Dad has my .22 pellet gun, and he has been plinking them on a regular basis. Still, they are thick. I see half eaten Squirrels laying around. Don't know what is munching on them, but they are not starved.

We had it bad for two years with Yellow Jackets. They were everywhere! Kinda useless they are! I would rather work in the garden next to and with Bumble Bees. They don't freak out that bad.

I hate those darn Gnats! Don't inhale if you get into a swarm!

Nature knows how to take care of itself, and all will be well. It's been doing it for a while smile

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: RAH
Plants and tree buds are emerging which will be killed off thus weakening trees and plants. I also have seen frogs active which cannot be good for them when there are no insects, and cold weather is bound to return. The foraging honey bees are also wasting energy. This is certainly not the first mild winter, but it is one of the longest January thaws that I can remember.

It never got to the stage that it had to thaw. At least around here.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We had some cold weather as late archery was ending. I am not going to complain about the warm weather; we are bound to get colder before it gets warmer. Its very nice outside here.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
I question the effect a cold winter has on bugs. Alaska and some northern states (that will go unnamed for the sake of anonymity) have as many noxious bugs as Texas.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Actually, I would bet a thaw followed by a freeze is harder on many insects than constant cold winters. Gets them moving and then zaps them.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Two years ago, Skeeters were very rare up in Fremont, and probably could have qualified to be on the Endangered Species List. Last year, they were minimal. Three years ago, they never manufactured enough repellant that was strong enough to keep them off!

I wonder how much human blood is actually in flight at any given time crazy

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
They botched the forecast for today. Instead of mid 40's and sunshine, it was very cloudy, quite windy and low 30's, with the wind chill making it worse. That is to be expected tho. Ill prepared I was today, I was freezing all day programming a transfer die in an unheated part of a shop. I am bringing an electric heater in tomorrow!!! At least to warm my fingers.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Same here. Supposed to be in the high 40's possible 50 and it never got out of the low 30's.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I have seen Robins and Woodpeckers off and on all winter. I don't know what they are thinking.

When they get hungry they will eat out of the cat food pan that we keep stocked for the Outsiders. On occasion an Outsider will kill one for lunch (rarely). Why hunt when you can lie down next to a hog pan filled with cat food and chow down until you nod off?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
J
J
Maybe they are bored and need some excitement. My grandma's cat was very "healthy" and she still hunted birds at times.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
We have a woodpecker that I think needs some counseling. He pecks away on a 12 year old creosoted power pole. ??? Perchance the creosote is habit forming. I should alert the EPA.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
With the exception of some notable storms like the current one hitting Denver, the Northern part of the US is having a mild winter.

Other than the whining about no ice fishing, what effects are there on flora and fauna when this occurs?

I can think of lack of melting snow pack for streams, ponds and ground water. Maybe too many weakened or older deer and elk survival and some plant life that might need freezing.

What are the negative effects that could and will occur?

Mild winters with little ice cover here usually ment the eurasian milfoil would grow like mad and be a problem the follwing summer in my dad's old pond. Having good ice cover with some snow on it for several months usually knocked the milfoil back pretty good.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sniper
We have a woodpecker that I think needs some counseling. He pecks away on a 12 year old creosoted power pole. ??? Perchance the creosote is habit forming. I should alert the EPA.

Our weird woodpecker of years ago died of head rattling and secondary ear ringing. He would start pecking the tin roof on my junk shed at the crack of dawn every day. crazy

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Originally Posted By: Sniper

Our weird woodpecker of years ago died of head rattling and secondary ear ringing. He would start pecking the tin roof on my junk shed at the crack of dawn every day. crazy

Hopefully nature took him out of the gene pool before he reproduced! grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I think that is what happened. No tin peckers since.

Bremer Pond Weather
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
During this warm winter there's been a noticeable lack of diversity on my bird feeders. I have yet to see any red-breasted nuthatches or pine siskins. They have been heading south to us in NE during recent cold winters and were a great treat for us. Been pretty dull without them around this Winter.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I had one take a shine to my Fiberglass Travel Trailer. I hear that miniature jack hammer go off one morning, and I am like, WT?... He did it a couple times and probably figured out the decal was not wood. Or else he just beat his brain silly in short order. Could have been some Gnat's or other bugs he was after. Only he/she knows.

Looks like the weather guy did an about face. We have at least 4 days of below freezing temps with lows in the single digits. Wind chill will make it pretty crisp. After that, it shoots right back to the mid 40's.

Last edited by JKB; 02/07/12 03:46 PM. Reason: weather
J
J
The weather here is changing too. Instead of highs in the 60's and 70'
s, high in the 40's. Chance of rain turning into snow tonight and the next few times there is a chance of moisture.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: jludwig
The weather here is changing too. Instead of highs in the 60's and 70'
s, high in the 40's. Chance of rain turning into snow tonight and the next few times there is a chance of moisture.

This is the dreaded February cold spell. I have said several times, that February is our coldest month in Michigan, and it hold's true every year! Never fails!

Lake Effect Snow has not impacted us too heavily due to the currents in Lake Michigan. I caught a very brief report on the East shore of Wisconsin, and they are getting some Lake Effect Snow.

People who bought new snow plows to make a buck this winter, are feeling the pain of the payments, pretty bad!

Darn Ducks out back! They sure are noisy!

J
J
February is going to be our coldest month here. Talking about the first significant snow storm here on Sunday-Monday. Although the most reasonable weatherman has the highest chance of snow and the most unreasonable one has the lowest chance of snow. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I think that is what happened. No tin peckers since.

laugh

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Firewood sellers aren't doing well here. Last year they couldn't keep up with the orders.

My roses are putting on new growth and I still have some annual plants blooming. We are just about due for some nasty stuff. We seldom get much snow but get ice storms that bring the D/FW metroplex to a stand still. Like most people here I have no idea how to drive on ice and don't want to learn.

I just saw the second red headed woodpecker of my life. I have no idea what kind of shock absorbers those guys have.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
The warm weather has left for now. It is currently raining/snowing but the ground is too warm so it is melting right away. Another system coming in Sunday-Monday with a chance of more snow.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Like most people here I have no idea how to drive on ice and don't want to learn.

I found the best method for driving on ice, it's called retirement.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Driving on ice is never a fun thing, unless you are ice racing with studded tires.

Much warmer this morning than they said it would be.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I enjoy the challenge of driving on ice and snow. 40+ years of practice may have something to do with it. When I was in my 20s we lived in North Dakota and I traveled the tarmac 4 days a week. My standard speed was 110mph. Rain, snow, sleet, ice, always 110. When the visibility was poor I slowed way down, though.

I recall a day that I drove 240 miles and didn't meet a single vehicle. You could say the traffic wasn't heavy....

Bremer Pond Weather
J
J
Driving on snow and ice isn't that bad but there are just too many people out there who do not how to handle it.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Driving on snow and ice isn't that bad but there are just too many people out there who do not how to handle it.

Depends what type of ice. Rock solid and smooth, crystal clear ice is the worst. The correct tires help quite a bit.

I use to drive like Dwight in the winter when I had my 75 police interceptor. It actually handled quite well on ice, although, a few times, my life flashed before my eyes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First