Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think Cecil Baird has used cottonseed meal in addition to fertilizer. Let's see if he responds. In the post below, BGkiller jogged my memory. I didn't go back and read the history. I just responded to the current 2012 posts. Here is CB1's comment about cottonseed meal.
Quote:
I used cottonseed meal, but it left the pond a brown color, which made it hard to determine if I was looking at an algae bloom or the cottonseed meal decomposing was staining the water.

IMO the organic fertilizers at least some of them, produce more protozoans and zooplankton type stuff and not green water -phytoplankton - blooms. The fish feed directly on the animals and a lot of the green water portion is bypassed. There are probably some published studies on this topic.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/05/12 05:53 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bill,
You must of missed Cecil on page 1 smile

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've tried cottonseed meal but didn't notice much change. It takes an awful lot of it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
From my Freshwater Aquaculture Book:" Animal dung, green manure, and seed meals are used as nitrogen sources. ....bird manuers tend to be more acidic than others. Some researchers believe that dung promotes the growth of both phyto and zooplankton while green manures are effective only for zooplankton. Zooplankton grows particularly well with seed meals, apparently because it can make direct use of their proteins. Both types of manure are said to be faster acting if properly composted. Certainly compost is less likely to deoxygenate water than raw manure.""

Using organic manure effectively is probably as much art as science, and maybe more art than science. DO crashes are likely when using organics as pond fertilizer. Organic manure grows lots of bacteria.Bacteria uses lots of DO while being a food source for both the planktonic and benthic microanimals. Thus the brown water was probably filled with bacteria observed by CB1?. Bacteria is fed on by many types of zooplankton (protozoans, rotifers, and microcrustaceans) including the ones planktonic and those associated with the decomposing organic materials lying on the bottom. Zooplankton feeds fish. This is probably why manure is more of a direct route than inorganic / synthetic fertilizers which first grows phytoplanton- blooms and green water.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/05/12 05:57 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Do you still use it, or was that just an experiment? I want something dependable that will work. I've seen just about everything spoken about. The fish farmer I spoke with said 2 bags to the acre is what he uses? If I use aeration should iy help?

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Organic fertilizers 'tend' to produce a larger percentage of larger sized invertebrates vs inorganic fertilizers that promote a larger percentage of phyoplankton. Again it all depends but in general this is the main difference. Other differences do occur.

Bill got it smacked on the head. Not sure about suburbia in your neck of the woods, but here in the urban jungle, we noticed that plenty of liquid and organic fertilizers run off from lawn and storage areas, then get discharged directly into the local ponds and water way. The result becomes more invertebrates, both aquatic and hybrid (oxygen breather that live near higher water saturated soils). It also create more bacterial growth along the shoreline, which promote infestation on both fouls and fishes. Pond fertilizer either comes in pellets or blocks which time released based on the bonding agents. However, it's not the best product to push, so, it's rare to find that one the shelves.

If you want to push nitrogen enrich environment for your pond, you can use a fine mesh cage system to mix up grass/leave clipping, and infuse with granulated NPK based on your need to prevent over acidity or alkalinity levels. This also prevent fish from ingesting the concentrated granule materials and get themselves killed.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Dave said he couldn't tell much difference using cottonseed meal. Actually how would you know if the cottonseed meal,or lawn clippings Leo mentioned are being beneficial to the pond? I realize by the health of the fish, but anything else to look for? Adding aeration I assume would be helpful also, if I choose this route.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
spinnerbait, cottonseed meal and lawn clippings decays at the bottom of the pond to produce biological feeding source for invertebrates. The invertebrates consumed, and recompact the biological matters in a slower release form. What every biological decay that remain, the release of carbon and nitrogen from the plant matters will provide the ponds a quick boost of N and K source for other plants to grow, which then fuel the oxygen generation by the plants that exist within the pond. Rather than using the fast acting and fast release lawn/pond fertilizer in solid or liquid forms, natural methods is much safer, and more ecologically balanced.

Fish health coincides with pond's health. So, be on the look out for bacterial, invertebrates, pathogenic, and weeds infestations. Also be on the look out for high suspended solids and turbidity.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Natural is safer like botulism and ebola.

Last edited by RAH; 02/11/12 06:20 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM