Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,237
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, DPSMESA, KiwiGuy, Bobbss, lafarmpondguy, Bigtrh24, B storm, shooterlurespond, Theo Gallus), 1,115 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#276414 12/31/11 07:28 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
... is what they just said on the local news channel. Lake Effect is going to be turning on and become furious tomorrow.

It has been really nice around here so far this season. Got a minor dusting of snow once, and the windows on my truck frosted over a couple of times... But, that was it!

I wonder what the ducks are going to do in the pond behind my apartment when the snow hit's the fan tomorrow.

Two years in a row, I saw one crazy white duck with a crown on its head (don't know what type it was) walking down the frozen roads in January up in Fremont. I sure was cold, and I am sure that duck was miserable.

Happy New Year!

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
... now they just said "Computer Malfunction"... Blame the equipment and not the operator laugh

Now saying 3-5 INCHES, if it gets cold enough to turn the rain into snow.

Probably will just be wet and dreary tomorrow, like in normal Octobers.

Snowmobile sales are probably a bit low this year shocked

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All they are saying on the South Bend Stations is "significant" snowfall due to lake effect. But, looking at the computer model, it starts one county North (St. Joeseph), which is the county that South Bend is in.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Considering how mild Lake Michigan's temps are for this time of year, with the right wind direction, speed, and low temps coming in, I would think there is a potential for a significant cold cumulus snow effect.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/01/12 03:47 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Snow has just started here in Northeastern Indiana. I don't think the most significant snow will be until Monday into Tuesday, however.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Been raining most of the day. Pretty windy out right now with some very fine, light snow. Wind is piling it up in spots. Gonna be cold for a couple days, then back into the low 40's. A good winter so far if you like to do any camping.

All of the snow plow companies are bummed grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I stuck a deer with the x-bow with 20 minutes to go in the season yesterday. A bit forward and lower than I had aimed due to the wind. Followed the blood for about 40 yds, then backed out. Couldn't take it anymore and went back at 9L00 p.m.. last night to try and follow further. It was spitting snow then, and I flagged the trail with surveryor tape. Didn't find it, and woke up to an inch of snow, followed by another quick inch. Gotta put the snow tires on the car before going out and doing a grid search if it's snow covered.

Depending on the wind, we could get from 1" to 6", some areas North of the IN/MI border could get 16" by Tues night.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I hope you find your deer.

I was talking to a gal last year and her husband swears a cougar dragged one off that he shot. They found it the next day partially eaten.

The ducks look like they are having fun in the pond out back. Sure looks cold to me!

Only about an inch or so right now. So much for the big storm. It seems to all be blowing South of here.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Good luck finding the deer. The wind is blowing a gail down here. I am lucky that my wife and son are excellent trackers or I would not have recovered my best deer ever this year. I have never had much luck during late archery, but I was too wimpy to face the wind and cold last night. Hopefully your's did not go too far.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Everything shut off up here. No wind, snow and maybe got an inch. The roads flash froze, but the ground is still warm, so it will all be gone later this week.

Ducks are having a great time in the pond (about 100ft x 700ft) out back. Well over 40 of them doing duck things!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Got it. It went about 80 yds past the last of the blood that I found last night. High lung shot, about 2" below the spine. Broke a rib going in, and another one on the opposite side. I have the back half of the arrow, the front half is gone. That's why little blood, high shot and all the blood stayed inside.

I might lose a little bit of meat because of the deer sitting 12+ hrs not cooling down, but it's more than I had yesterday morning!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
esshup I woudl htink it is fine in that cool weather. Glad you great her, nice timing.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
I hope you find your deer.

I was talking to a gal last year and her husband swears a cougar dragged one off that he shot. They found it the next day partially eaten.

There was a documented case of a cougar with a radio controlled collar in either Wisconsin or northern Michigan recently recorded on a game cam. Apparently this cougar traveled from quite a way farther west. I'll see if I can find the link. Be right back.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here is it is. Michigan:

The Department of Natural Resources recently confirmed the presence of a radio-collared cougar just north of the city of Hancock in northern Houghton County. The animal was captured on a trail camera on Nov. 13, walking directly in front of the camera, with the noticeable presence of a radio collar.

DNR Wildlife Division staff visited the property on Nov. 17 where the trail camera is mounted and verified the location of the camera. Property owner Jesse Chynoweth submitted the pictures to the DNR for confirmation.

“This is the third time this animal has been captured on trail cameras in the Upper Peninsula,” said Adam Bump, a wildlife biologist with the DNR’s Cougar Team. “The Wisconsin DNR earlier verified two trail camera pictures of this cat as it passed through Wisconsin on its way to the UP.”

The Department has also verified a set of tracks from a cougar in southern Keweenaw County on Nov. 20. The cougar passed about 30 feet from a deer hunter who later returned to the area with a friend to snap pictures of the cougar’s tracks. The animal is almost certainly the same, radio-collared cougar that was photographed about 15 miles south near Hancock a week earlier.

The DNR is still in the process of tracking down where the cougar is from and has been checking frequencies from collars of cats from South Dakota, Utah and Montana. Only western states currently have cougars collared for research projects, so the animal likely traveled a great distance to reach the Upper Peninsula.

The Department will inform the public if more details are discovered about this cougar.

Cougars, also known as mountain lions, were once found throughout North America, including Michigan. Habitat loss and heavy persecution led to cougars being eliminated from Michigan in the early 1900s. The last known wild cougar taken in Michigan was killed near Newberry in 1906. Although sightings have increased and are regularly reported in the Upper Peninsula, verification is often difficult. Cougar tracks and a cougar photo from in the eastern Upper Peninsula were verified in 2009. Additionally, the DNR was able to verify several sets of cougar tracks in Marquette and Delta counties in 2008. The radio collared cougar has been photographed in Houghton and Ontonagon counties in 2011.

Established cougar populations are found as close to Michigan as North and South Dakota, and transient cougars dispersing from these areas have been known to travel hundreds of miles in search of new territory. Characteristic evidence of cougars include tracks, which are about three inches long by three and a half inches wide and typically show no claw marks, or suspicious kill sites, such as deer carcasses that are largely intact and have been buried with sticks and debris.

Reports of cougar tracks and other evidence should be made to a local DNR office or by calling the department’s 24-hour Report All Poaching line at 800-292-7800.

Cougars are classified as an endangered species in Michigan. It is unlawful to kill, harass or otherwise harm a cougar except in the immediate defense of human life. For more information about the recent cougar tracks and photo, call your local DNR office to report it or report it on our website. To learn more about cougars and how to identify their tracks, go www.michigan.gov/cougars.

Source: News release from Michigan Department of Natural Resources

http://www.rivercountryjournal.info/2011...eenaw-counties/

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Last week there were news reports of confirmed Cougar activity in Ottawa county. More than one!

In Fremont (Newaygo County) Cougars are quite frequently encountered.

I personally have never seen one, but have seen fresh tracks, and am positive they have seen me.

Kinda creepy walking out into the forest now. I always carry a side arm... Just in case eek

Not the kind of cat you want to be licked by! eh sunil wink

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Wise to be cautious. They might be expanding their range. Three or four years ago a hunter near here in his deer stand saw a cougar passing downwind of his stand then, a short while later, saw the animal passing upwind of his position. Deciding that he was on the menu, he put it down. Huge cat.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I took it in to have it processed. Some of the hindquarters started to "sour" as the processor said, and I might lose some meat. Still more than I had yesterday morning! Temps were in the low to mid 20's. I figure the deer died around 5:00 p.m. and wasn't found until 10-11 a.m.

Now, back to snow.

How exactly is snow measured? (I know, with a measuring instrument).

I cleaned off my back steps around 9:30 a.m., and had roughly 7 1/4" of snow on them. Now, they have the same amount of snow on them again. But, the weather station is saying that we only had 4" of snow here.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Glad you found your deer!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

Now, back to snow.

How exactly is snow measured? (I know, with a measuring instrument).

I cleaned off my back steps around 9:30 a.m., and had roughly 7 1/4" of snow on them. Now, they have the same amount of snow on them again. But, the weather station is saying that we only had 4" of snow here.....

The guys with the Tilapia in Elkhart said they have 14 inches according to my treasurer/secretary (IAAI). We're supposed to have 4 inches but I think it's only 2 inches.

J
J
Snow likes to blow around and pile up near the back steps or anything that will hold it.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Sunny, but cool! No snow on the ground. (except for where a plow jockey pushed it. He wrecked a lot of turf around here with his uncontrolled desire to plow snow) Ugly is a good word for his lack of common sense!

Ducks are doing Duck things in the pond out back (probably full of GSF anyway)

We can get nailed at anytime around here, but it has been quite mild this season with not much threatening weather, even in the forecast.

Lake Michigan has a very profound effect on the west side of Michigan.

No Ice, for Ice fishing! And may not happen this year.

Late January, early February Is when things could get nasty.

March could be heavy at the front, but usually hit 60's then.

Time to figure out your 2012 garden!

Blew the Leeks this year for starting.

Dang, time just moves too fast smile

Lunker
Lunker
Was a real nice day on the St. Joe River. Water was real clear but fast. We had the bad thing happen, caught a nice 6lb hen steelie in the first 15 minutes and had one hit after that with no one home. Hay it was a great day for fish and got to spent a day with good friends and good conversation. Now bad to the farm to work on the new house.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Where at on the St. Joe? It's 60 or so miles from the lake to South Bend as the fish swims.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Close to the lake, we launched in St. Joe, MI (Island launch) and worked areas of the river from there up to 94 bridge. With the water a little higher I wanted to work further up river yet, but we ran out of time.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Our DNR and some anglers (I've got a 30 lber to mount) are finding big muskies in the St. Joe river at least on the Indiana side. Here's a pic of a few they electroshocked out of the St. Joe.

Gotta love this new state record caught in Torch Lake in Michigan. What a monster!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/09/12 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/04/24 07:19 PM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/04/24 07:12 PM
What made this noise?
by shooterlurespond - 05/04/24 06:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety