Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Theo Gallus, nvcdl, bmicek, jmartin), 1,163 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LSUFAN Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello all, and ive glanced at articles on this page for hours tonight, and all seems very informative if i had a idea on what was really going on LOL. Needless to say and make a long story short

I just purchased a home with a small piece of land a little further out of Baton Rouge to a more peaceful area of the area. So YES i am wanting to dig a pond, but i am kind of lost as to where to start there is so much information its over my head to be honest.

I am wanting to possibly build no more than 1/4 acre pond in the back area of my 2 acre yard. So where exactly do i start?
Does anyone know any reputable and reasonable people in the Baton Rouge/ Livingston Parish area of Louisiana to dig ponds? I am not expecting to go fishing tomorrow or anything, but it would be nice to have a general idea of where to start and what all i am going to need? Like for instance drain pipes...i understand the mechanics of it but kind of lost as to the overall look. Like i said ive read to much info in too little time to comprehend it all LOL. Anyways anything in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome Jerry. Building a pond, and doing it right, isn't something that you rush into. Hiring a guy who has a big yellow machine isn't the first step. Fortunately, there are some good sources of information. Almost all of them are right here.

The first step is to define your goals. That's usually easier said then done until you get enough knowledge to really understand ponds, their construction, and the nuances. Doing it wrong and regretting rushing in is fairly common.

To shortcut the process, I would contact the Pond Boss office and buy a copy of Bob Lusks book "Perfect Pond...Want One?". I would also buy "Raising Trophy Bass". I think it is misnamed because it's about a lot more than the title suggests. Buying those is more of a long term investment than an expense. Most of us also subscribe to the Pond Boss magazine. It helps pay for this free site.

Start reading the archives here and let things soak in as you go.

Hang around and join in the discussions. Sometimes it really, really, helps to have a sense of humor here. We've all made a lot of long term friendships and even the Yankees are nice guys. Yeah, I know it's hard to believe but they really are.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome ot the forum! Another place to go is the county NRCS office. They should be able to tell you if there's any govermnemt (state/county/city) hoops you have to jump thru, and if the soil on your little slice of heaven will hold water.

I've been in your shoes. I wanted to make my pond larger and didn't even know enough to ask pertinent questions.

Best advice that I can give you is to plan out every step of the way before you ever start digging. Build your cover before digging. Have seed and materials ready for erosion control around the pond as soon as it's dug. Figure out what the budget will be, and go from there. I second buying the books, they'll stay in your library for a long time.

Your eyes will get bloody trying to read everything on here, but if you do, you'll have 99% of your questions answered. There is a LOT of information in the archives as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum Jerry! How bout them dare Tigers huh?

You have received great advise just from the 2 gentlemen above and most sure there will be additional information coming your way.

I researched for almost 2 years lurking on the site very quietly trying to wrap my mind around all the information, what was valuable, what wasn't at the time but later became valuable and couldn't find. So, I started an excel spreadsheet with what my goals were and went from there. I listed each type of fish I was interested in stocking and added info on each fish. Then aeration, levees, structure, habitat, etc. I know I go out to extremes at times but I even drew out my desires on the spreadsheet, placement of structure, depths, etc. which kept me in focus on what I was wanting. The more I read the more I would capture for my personal reference. Once I began the project, physically, I referred back to the sheet for advise on whatever I was working on. If you are interested, send me a pm and I will forward what I have so far.

I cannot stress enough about getting the books as suggested. I was reluctant until I broke down and ordered my first book, Perfect Pond Want One? Full of great information at your fingertips. If you follow 1 single suggestion and it saves you $ or heart ache, then it has paid for itself.

LSU ag is a great place to send your soil sample as well as water sample for later on in your pond management. I think the cost is around $7 per sample and once you get the results you can get the data explained with a single phone call.

I am about 60 miles NW of Baton Rouge and pass that way quit often on my way to the New Orleans office, good to see yet another pond mister close by.

Coupe

I subscribe!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Welcome,

You have found the right place! Four years ago I bought a three-acre lot and someone said that the back end looked like a good place to put a pond. I had dreamed of doing that since I was a little kid. I had no plans or expertise, but did lots of research, starting here on Pond Boss. I now have a three-year-old 1/2 acre pond that I constantly worry about, but is one of my favorite places in the world. I tinker with her daily, and I have learned so much about myself and world of raising and caring for nature and fish.

Good luck. It is a wonderful journey. My advice is to document everything. My pond is my third child. I share pictures of her, and talk about her with all my friends.

Brian

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt