Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,006
Posts558,430
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,597
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
8 members (Theo Gallus, DrewSh, Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Pat Williamson, Stressless, liquidsquid, catscratch), 1,126 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#274329 11/25/11 09:50 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm curious as to what a northern hatchery does with their BG in the winter, as far as feeding. I stop feeding mine when the water temps drop into the low 50's, does this practice hold true for a commercial operation as well? I would think that the grow out ponds used by these kinds of operations might not have much of a natural forage base available, so do they just allow the fish to overwinter on whatever reserves they have accumulated, or is their another type of artificial feed that is acceptable for cold water use?

I'm just looking for a way to get more food into my fish this winter, since I feel that my natural forage may have taken a hit due to my fluridone treatment, and the resulting lack of vegetation.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I'm curious as to what a northern hatchery does with their BG in the winter, as far as feeding. I stop feeding mine when the water temps drop into the low 50's, does this practice hold true for a commercial operation as well? I would think that the grow out ponds used by these kinds of operations might not have much of a natural forage base available, so do they just allow the fish to overwinter on whatever reserves they have accumulated, or is their another type of artificial feed that is acceptable for cold water use?

I'm just looking for a way to get more food into my fish this winter, since I feel that my natural forage may have taken a hit due to my fluridone treatment, and the resulting lack of vegetation.

It varies. Some just run aeration to keep some water open and allow the fish to hang in there until spring. Others dump in fathead minnows (small ponds) to provide some maintainence forage over the winter. One Michigan fish supplier that I know runs large quantities of well water into his small ponds and has several aerators going continuously. He's in a heavy snow belt next to Lake Michigan ,however, and may not have a choice.

Personally here in northern Indiana my fish go into winter with no feeding and don't feed on pellets again until the following spring and they do just fine. You have to remember that metabolism is greatly reduced so they don't need much in reserves.

When I'm raising trout I don't feed them under the ice either and they do just fine.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/25/11 10:41 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I know the raceway operations up here feed year round. Most have indoor hatcheries also. Not sure about the pond operations. Never been to one in the winter, but probably just as Cecil suggested. I keep telling myself that I am going to stop by and visit Crystal Springs, but get busy and never do. Maybe some day.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Thanks guys.

I guess I will just have to convince myself that the fish will be fine over the winter. I fed them some today, and they were all over it, absolutely thrashing the surface. HBG are such pellet hogs that I wonder if they wouldn't eat year round, but my water temps are in the high 40's now, so convential wisdom says it's time to stop feeding. Just seems like a shame to quit when they are still so receptive to feed.

This will be their third winter in my pond, so I should be used to the winter routine by now. I just hate missing out on 3-4 months of possible growth when they appear so willing to continue feeding.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sprkplug,

You have to bring some inside in the winter like I do. I just finished plumbing my third tank -- one of two that are connected to the same biofilter. Time to take a break. This is taking to much of my productive taxidermy time that pays the bills.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/26/11 08:56 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
Sprkplug, If they are actively eating, I'd feed them personally. I assume that as long as you're not putting more in than is being eaten, you should be ok?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
FOOTCUSH, MikeyBoy, rick fisherman
Recent Posts
Frustrated
by liquidsquid - 05/12/24 08:59 AM
BG sex?
by tim k - 05/12/24 07:01 AM
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/12/24 06:25 AM
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by FishinRod - 05/11/24 09:47 PM