Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,006 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#259016 05/17/11 09:38 AM
J
Jim_100 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
There is a company in Newyork state that sells the papershell.
I can't think of the name right now but can I order them and have them shipped to SW Michigan legally and what are the chances of suvival if it is the one day or overnight type of thing?
I don't know how tough they are.
Thanks,
jim

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jim:

Send a PM to "FRIZ" here on the forum. I believe he did what you are asking, but to Indiana.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted By: Jim_100
There is a company in Newyork state that sells the papershell.
I can't think of the name right now but can I order them and have them shipped to SW Michigan legally and what are the chances of suvival if it is the one day or overnight type of thing?
I don't know how tough they are.
Thanks,
jim

Have them shipped overnight if you want to avoid a lot of casualties.
I know from experience…
Regards,
FRIZ

J
Jim_100 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Will do FRIZ. When you say a lot did any live? Did you try again?
jim

T
TSK Offline
T
The company I think you're asking about is http://www.smithcreekfishfarm.com

Last edited by TSK; 06/07/11 01:11 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jim:

They were ordered again, and they came thru without very many morts. (They were delivered to my house because I'm close to FRIZ's ponds) We don't know how they are doing, but we haven't seen any dead ones in the ponds either.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
How big do the paper crayfish get?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum deadwood. Where abouts in VA are you?

If I recall correctly, about 3.5" as an adult.

D
D
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Welcome to the forum deadwood. Where abouts in VA are you?

If I recall correctly, about 3.5" as an adult.

Thanks! I currently live in northern Virginia, but am planning on moving back to our family farm this summer. The farm is just north of Lynchburg. I've picked out a site that is fed by a healthy stream and I think would accomodate quite a large pond, up to maybe 20 acres. I want a true trophy LMB lake and am trying to decide whether to go a little smaller, maybe 5 acres, and manage the hell out of it, or whether there are significant benefits to going bigger, 10 or 20 acres.

Where do you live?

Last edited by deadwood; 11/19/11 04:29 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'm in the Stafford, VA area. If you are really trying to grow trophy bass, my opinion is the bigger the better...

D
D
I'm in the Stafford, VA area. If you are really trying to grow trophy bass, my opinion is the bigger the better...

Perhaps to a degree, but it seems like it might be better to build a very proactively managed 10-12 acre lake, then a less actively managed 20 acre lake. As the size increases, the cost of lime, fertilizer, fish feed, etc, will get prohibitive at some point. My wife is only so tolerant smile

I guess what I am looking for is a lake that can ideally be managed on 5k a year, maybe 10k if I can sneak it by her.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
To achieve trophy LMB, be prepared to harvest a lot of smaller bass per acre in a larger body of fertile water. Possibly 20-25 lbs per acre per year. This may require electroshocking in the budget.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
D
Harvesting is supposed to start in year 2 right? I'm a ways off, as I haven't even begun construction. I've been thinking however about purchasing my own equipment and harvesting by electroshock.

I've actually considered putting in a second lake with some flatheads and maybe even tiger muskie, and culling the unwanted fish from lake 1 into lake 2 for the big predators.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Normally I would not recommend harvesting any LMB until their (1st stocked) first spawn has matured and spawned. The offspring from the first set of recruited bass are the ones that start the overpopulation problem. This often is year 4 after stocking depending on what size is stocked and the latitude of the pond/lake. Flathead catfish could be a management problem if they spawn and recruit new individuals.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/20/11 06:18 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Why not have 3 or 4 4to6 acre ponds with each one being a specilized project? I've only got an 1/4 acre pond with YP, HSB and a few WE. Lots of forage and quickly developing large fish. Tons of fun and enough manitinance. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. The Muskies ring my bell, just freshwater Baricudda and easy to control. Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
deadwood, I would recommend you look at the books for sale section of the website. Bob Lusk, one of the owners of this site has written several excellent ones. Buying them, and following their advice will get you well on your way to success. Particularly if you are trying to grow trophy bass...

D
D
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Normally I would not recommend harvesting any LMB until their (1st stocked) first spawn has matured and spawned. The offspring from the first set of recruited bass are the ones that start the overpopulation problem. This often is year 4 after stocking depending on what size is stocked and the latitude of the pond/lake. Flathead catfish could be a management problem if they spawn and recruit new individuals.

There aren't going to be any catfish in my bass lake. I was thinking about having a second lake in which I put come large predators, and dumped the fish I culled from the first lake with electrofishing.

Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Why not have 3 or 4 4to6 acre ponds with each one being a specilized project? I've only got an 1/4 acre pond with YP, HSB and a few WE. Lots of forage and quickly developing large fish. Tons of fun and enough manitinance. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. The Muskies ring my bell, just freshwater Baricudda and easy to control. Bob-O

Your lake sounds fun, and the walleye probably make for some great eating. The lake site, budget, and desire for a trophy bass water will wind up dictating what I do. I hope to be going down to the farm for a job interview in the near future, and will try to snap some pictures.

deadwood, I would recommend you look at the books for sale section of the website. Bob Lusk, one of the owners of this site has written several excellent ones. Buying them, and following their advice will get you well on your way to success. Particularly if you are trying to grow trophy bass...

Definitely going to purchase the relevent books. I've also contacted Bob about possibly coming out to take a look, before I start anything.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: deadwood
I've also contacted Bob about possibly coming out to take a look, before I start anything.

Find out when Bob will be in the area and meet with him. Have him explain what a trophy LMB lake means. Most people when they hear what a trophy LMB lake means are not interested. In the mean time get the soil tested. Also you can start the planning stage including structure for your fish.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday