Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
EGS, Ben Davis, DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!
18,527 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,009
Posts558,464
Members18,528
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,603
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24), 1,001 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Dwight got it... There are a few different styles, some have a coiled connecting cord that hangs around your neck, others, such as the link Dwight posted, are worn around the neck and extend down the arms and out the cuffs. I find this type constantly in the way.

I've seen homemade versions consisting of two wooden dowels with a lag screw inserted,the head removed, and then sharpened to a point. A couple of eye screws in the other end and a connecting cord and you're all set... JUST MAKE SURE THEY FLOAT!!!

The latest thing I've seen involves what amounts to strap on cleats, like you would wear on your feet, only they strap to the inside of your forearms. The thought being that if you go through, you're dangling there with your arms on the ice, then you pull yourself up and onto the ice using a belly crawl motion with your arms. Since they're attached to your body, there is no need to try and grip them with numb hands. Makes sense to me.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Dwight got it... There are a few different styles, some have a coiled connecting cord that hangs around your neck, others, such as the link Dwight posted, are worn around the neck and extend down the arms and out the cuffs. I find this type constantly in the way.

Of course, I modified mine by installing a real rope (floating). I hang them around my neck and then place the picks themselves in my coat pockets. They are out of the way, but loaded for bear.

I like the store bought cleats because the spike is spring-loaded recessed into the handle until you need them. Carrying around two exposed sharp spikes when you are one the ice seems to me to present an new hazard. A person does tend to slip and fall on the ice occasionally. A sharp spike in the hand or neck resulting from a fall would be bad, very bad.

Bremer Pond Weather
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Good point, Dwight. (no pun intended)

I'm just a little leery of the spring loaded kinds. What if they get wet and freeze up? What if they jam and the sleeve won't retract? Not arguing here at all, I just think that for me, I want the safety equipment that may save my life to be as simple, and uncomplicated as possible. My picks lie tucked under my collar flaps, out of the way. They are by no means sharpened to an ultra fine point, but that's not to say that a fall wouldn't cause them to inoculate me. However, they lie pretty snug, so I think the possibility is remote.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
It is the safety cover that is spring loaded, not the spike. Even if that safety cover was frozen solid it would pop loose when you jab the spike at the ice.

The best result, in any case, is to never have to use them.

Bremer Pond Weather
J
J
We don't have much ice down there but we do have to sometimes have to chop frozen ponds for cattle to drink out of. Even with this, we are extremely careful, we are very wary of the ice. We use axes to chop it and first test the ice by checking it to make sure it is safe enough to stand to chop a hole in it. We usually go in groups of two just for the safety factor and the pickup is always running with the heater on if we do happen to fall up to ankles.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I can't count the number of times I've chopped a hole in the ice to water the cattle. Usually, they would all gather at the edge and impatiently wait to drink, while you took your life in your hands, sliding around and striking glancing blows with a sharp axe.

Some of the more belligerent ones would always bawl insults at you, complaining that you worked too slow, or that the hole wasn't big enough. It can be a thankless, demanding job, tending cattle in the winter..

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Paleeez, Grettskis ice dork story only reminds us that as we age we all slow down, gain weight and don't think as clearly. In 1988 when he went from Edmonton to LA (where the ice rinks are much thinner) he could skate on one blade 3/16th inch wide and only about 10"s long, spin a 360 degree circle in less than a 16" diameter, shoot backhanded without looking and still score. Never did he fall through. Time ta strap on the skates and get back in shape. At least you still have the reflexes to retain both boots. Sorry Cecil....not.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
glfranks
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Boondoggle - 05/13/24 10:50 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/13/24 07:26 PM
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by esshup - 05/13/24 01:03 PM
curly leaf infestation